Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Sep-20-09, 11:23

Plan: my own
Stats: 225/208/135 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 19%
Default Enova oil

I think this deserves it's own thread. So much debate in general. A bit of misgivings by most of it because it's a manufactured 'unnatural' oil. And definitely hard to find for many. But it's gotten more dramatic::

Reading Dr. Eades' blog comments today, I saw that someone posted that on September 16 Kao Corporation has suspended manufacturing and shipping Econa Oil (licensed through ADM here as Enova).

Here's one link - but there's more out there if you search: http://www.japantoday.com/category/...-cancer-effects

I have to say, I felt uneasy in the first place with this stuff. I'm done.

Anyone want some old Enova? 2/3rds full? Please drive by our house before the trash man gets here - cause that's where it's going.

Sarah
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Sep-20-09, 12:47

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxSarah
I think this deserves it's own thread. So much debate in general. A bit of misgivings by most of it because it's a manufactured 'unnatural' oil. And definitely hard to find for many. But it's gotten more dramatic::
Reading Dr. Eades' blog comments today, I saw that someone posted that on September 16 Kao Corporation has suspended manufacturing and shipping Econa Oil (licensed through ADM here as Enova).

Here's one link - but there's more out there if you search: http://www.japantoday.com/category/...-cancer-effects

Yeah, just reading the Enova FAQ did not make me feel any more comfortable. It says about the product, right on the FAQ page:
Quote:
EnovaŽ oil also is a highly refined oil (i.e. refined, bleached, deodorized).

Yeah, all stuff I try to avoid - not to mention soy and canola, both of which I try to avoid also. And all the benefits that it touts are couched in these sort of terms:

For overall health:
Quote:
Research conduced by the Chicago Center for Clinical Research has shown that EnovaŽ oil was more effective in the reduction of body weight and fat when compared to conventional oils on a reduced-calorie diet.

For diabetics:
Quote:
A decrease in HBA1c levels was actually noted in those diabetics consuming EnovaŽ oil (compared to consumption of traditional vegetable oils) which would be indicative of improved glucose control.

General healthfulness of the oil:
Quote:
EnovaŽ oil is a smarter option for cooking compared to conventional oils. Clinical studies show that less EnovaŽ oil is stored in the body as fat, compared to other vegetable oils

Everything about it is comparing its benefits to other vegetable oils, none of which I would touch with a 10-foot-pole.

I mean I swear it was in someone's blog recently (and I even searched in google's 'search blogs' function but could not find it) that someone commented about various study results as being like saying: "Studies show that taking arsenic kills you more slowly than taking cyanide. Therefore our conclusion is that for a longer life one should eat arsenic."

Or as I said in the 6-week-cure main thread, it's like saying that eating an oatmeal cookie causes less of a blood sugar rise than eating a Twinkie, therefore we conclude diabetics should add oatmeal cookies to their diet.

Or like the studies saying whole grains are good for you (when comparing them only to refined grains, not comparing them to *no* grains).

Does DAG oil truly have thermogenic properties? Hmm could certainly not find that in the FAQs - only that less of it is retained in the body rather than conventional oils. Their spiel is all about lowering the fat in the diet - but I don't think fat is the enemy, though perhaps polyunsaturated vegetable oils are.

So I don't think I will lose any sleep over not finding this oil in stores. I've tried just about every other product touted as having thermogenic properties and none have helped me drop an ounce. I'm not pinning my faith on this one.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Sep-20-09, 13:33

BF:

Well, it was pulled due to having 10-200 times the level of cancer-causing stuff than in other vegetable oils.

As I said, I feel like most long-timers were uncomfortable or skeptical in the first place. And now we find out that just 4 days ago it's been pulled by the manufacturer.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Sep-20-09, 13:38

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxSarah
Well, it was pulled due to having 10-200 times the level of cancer-causing stuff than in other vegetable oils.

Yeah, though I see Dr. Mike says that since the amount they recommend is so small he's not going to worry about it. Guess he has to stand by the written word.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Sep-20-09, 14:06

BF:

The company is going to try to rerelease it by February 2010!

lol, where's the shaking head icon?

another link