Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Dec-15-00, 01:21

Plan:
Stats: 213/190/150
BF:
Progress:
Question

This is my first time here, I am looking forward to having discussion with others who are working towards the same goal. I started CAD November 1st of this year, I've lost approximately 15 pounds so far. I say approximately because I didn't buy a scale until 3 weeks ago and since that time I've definitely lost 10 pounds, I can only guess that I probably lost at least 5 pounds in the weeks that preceded. I have an unusual question, one that I hope isn't too far-fetched, but here goes. As a result of many years of purging (when I was a teenager), I have a condition known as acid reflux. Basically the muscles in the esophagus that would normally keep stomach acid from coming up become weakened and do not work the way they should. After I eat, the food that should be digesting continues to come back up my throat. I have been on medication in the past that helped (it has since been taken off of the market) and I imagine that I will have to speak to my doctor again, because the condition now seems to be getting worse. However in the meantime I wonder if when this happens my body is sensing that I am actually consuming food. Could this be causing an unwanted "insulin reaction"? What do you think? Any response would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Dec-15-00, 04:33

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 171/147/125
BF:
Progress: 52%

Hi
My daughter also has GERD and was on Prepulsid. She is now on Motilium (domperidone) and it actually works better than the prepulsid did.

Not sure about your theory, but I have hear quite a few people say that their reflux improved after starting a low carb diet.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Dec-15-00, 14:11
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Smile Hi, and welcome to our forum

Quote:
Originally posted by o2bthin
I wonder if when this happens my body is sensing that I am actually consuming food. Could this be causing an unwanted "insulin reaction"?

I'm sure you are already familiar with the standard rationale behind GERD, gastroesophageal reflux disease. Yes, unfortunately the chronic purging will have weakened the sphincter muscle, allowing stomach contents (food, normal stomach acids) to back up into the esophagus. Also, the esophagus itself becomes relaxed (it's basically a muscle too). Another cause for reflux is any kind of pressure on the stomach & abdomen - overeating, pregnancy, bending and lifting, obesity, strenuous exercise after eating ...... Nearly everybody experiences some reflux now and then, for the reasons listed. But, as you know, when the problem is chronic, it's like a vicious circle, making itself worse. The repeated backflow of food and acids from the stomach only make the sphincter and the esophagus weaker. The role of insulin in all this isn't clear. In "Protein Power Lifeplan", the latest edition by the Drs. Eades, they mention the link between insulin, GERD and the benefit of lowcarb diet in several places, but really don't give an explanation as to "why". I suspect it has more to do with excess acid from sugary diet, but I will try to find more info for you.

Quote:
I have been on medication in the past that helped (it has since been taken off of the market) and I imagine that I will have to speak to my doctor again, because the condition now seems to be getting worse.

Good idea. There are newer, more effective meds for this condition, you would be wise to have the problem looked after. Left untreated, the continued reflux could be serious. Some other tips I found are:
  • eating smaller, more frequent meals
  • don't lie down right after eating
  • chew your food thoroughly, and don't drink large amounts of liquid with your food (overfills the stomach)
  • elevating the head of your bed, or using a wedge-shaped pillow to keep your upper body elevated when you sleep
  • avoiding caffeine, nicotine, carbonated drinks, chocolate, greasy food, and peppermint
Following a lowcarb, non-sugary/starchy diet, eating smaller more frequent meals of protein foods, and drinking lots of pure water between meals should help the symptoms, as well as help you lose weight and relieve abdominal pressure. By the way, congratulations on your 15 lb. loss so far! Good for you.

Doreen