Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Karen's Corner
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#151   ^
Old Tue, Nov-01-05, 07:40
"Princess" of Norway

Plan: Atkins / Lindberg
Stats: 187/169/143 Female 162 cm
BF:Yes
Progress: 41%

I made this wonderful cake for my birthday. *schwoooop* and it was GONE !
I copied the recipe to my friends and family.... I whereever I go now I get this cake served - that's kind of cool !!
Sponsored Links
  #152   ^
Old Sat, Jan-07-06, 14:10

Plan: Modified Atkins/PPower
Stats: 280/250/160 Female 173
BF:
Progress: 25%
Default First time Cheese Caker!

I'm excited at the tantilizing smells eminating from my oven currently! It's my hubby's bday and he's in training for his annual physical review which could have put a damper on his bday cake (singing happy bday over a sparkler stuck in a log of pate just ain't the same!) but having found your recipe (and researching a bit about you!) I assembled the ingredents and away we went. I don't usually follow recipes to a T but I didn't want to risk making a mess of his special dessert.

I really found the past posts and hints to be a lot of help. It feels like I've made this recipe a hundred times, thanks everyone.

Two questions, does it freeze well? I want to wrap indivual servings for later dates. Also, how do you suggest cutting it 'cleanly'?

Thanks again.
  #153   ^
Old Sat, Jan-07-06, 17:43

Plan: modified atkins
Stats: 198.5/183/130 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 23%

it freezes great
  #154   ^
Old Sat, Jan-07-06, 20:28
feels like today

Plan: Atkins - Induction
Stats: 203.5/187.5/145 Female 5ft. 1in.
BF:
Progress: 27%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Tuna
Also, how do you suggest cutting it 'cleanly'?

I have always heard you can use a regular piece of floss and cut it by holding it tight and slicing it in pieces...hope that helps
  #155   ^
Old Sun, Jan-08-06, 11:11
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Quote:
Two questions, does it freeze well? I want to wrap indivual servings for later dates. Also, how do you suggest cutting it 'cleanly'?

I have heard of the floss trick as well. What else works is heating the knife under hot water. Cut your first cut, and if any sticks wipe it off. The cake is more likely to really stick to itself versus the knife, so if there is a hunk of cheesecake on the knife it will tear out more on your next cut
  #156   ^
Old Sun, Jan-08-06, 15:18

Plan: Modified Atkins/PPower
Stats: 280/250/160 Female 173
BF:
Progress: 25%
Default Perfect!

Thanks everyone, I didn't have floss on hand that wasn't flavoured so I went with the hot knife and cleaning it between slices. Each slice could have been put on display at the finest of restaurants. I decorated with a little mound of whipped cream, a raspberry, two mint leaves & a fine sprinkle of freshly grated dark chocolate. So pretty and so yummy too!

My crust was good but just a little on the thick side, other than that, the tips I read in the previous posts and the recipe itself made this one of the best desserts I've every made.

Funny - everyone gobbled it up so I can't freeze any left overs - next time!!

Cheers!
  #157   ^
Old Sat, Feb-03-07, 10:09

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

Hi Karen,

I just made this again and it was great, as always. I replaced 12 ounces of cream cheese with goat cheese and it was not noticable. (I just didn't want to drive to the market during a blizzard and used what I had.) Do you think it would work to make it entirely with goat cheese? Would it be worth the effort? Would you adjust flavors, like the lemon or vanilla?

Thanks.
  #158   ^
Old Sat, Feb-03-07, 13:27
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

I think it might be a little dry because the texture of goat cheese is different than cream cheese. Might be good as a savoury cheesecake with dill, smoked salmon and sour cream on top?

Karen
  #159   ^
Old Sun, Feb-04-07, 22:12
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 260/229/162 Female 178 cm (5' 9 1/2")
BF:
Progress: 32%

I am glad to read that two others have misread the cream cheese amount. I made the exact New York Cheesecake recipe from the cookbook with the almond crust, but instead of using 2 1/2 lbs I used 2 1/2 packages....and surprisingly it turned out excellently. In fact I didn't even know anything was awry until I read this thread! So, if you only have 2 1/2 packages of cream cheese - go ahead and bake this cake!

Stacey
  #160   ^
Old Sun, Feb-25-07, 13:51

Plan: General
Stats: 170.6/170.6/130 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 0%

Looks Wonderful
  #161   ^
Old Sun, Sep-23-07, 10:56
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

I made this yesterday (the updated recipe from the book) and it was outstanding. This will definitely be my stand-by recipe from now on, because other recipes I've tried aren't 'rich' enough to be satisfying. I end up eating half a cheesecake in one sitting and then feel bad about myself for it. There's no way I could pack away more than half of a one-twelfth slice of this cheesecake.

I didn't have a springform pan and I had to use pyrex, so I couldn't do it at 500F, but I don't mind cracks. It still came out with a beautiful texture and flavour.

The only "problem" is how much it made - I'll have to freeze some. Poor me, I have a month's worth of delicious cheesecake!
  #162   ^
Old Tue, Aug-05-08, 19:33

Plan: Atkinsish
Stats: 200/194/165 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress:

I tried to PM Karen to ask her this, but my account wouldn't let me, AND I read that she doesn't coem around much anymore. So - hopefully someone else can help me.
I couldn't find sugar twin in the grocery store..
I only have splenda. If I just use splenda will it work???

EDITED TO ADD
I checked through all 11 pages, and foudn that I can just use splenda, but is the stuff in the bag that measures cup for cup like sugar considered 'granular' splenda???

Thanks for any help..

Last edited by carress : Wed, Aug-06-08 at 04:44.
  #163   ^
Old Wed, Aug-06-08, 07:41
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

hi there,

Glad you found the information you needed

Just in case anyone else is wondering the same thing, I'll quote Karen's reply from post #40 in this thread ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen
Quote:
Can I use all Splenda?

Yes you can. Start with 1/2 cup and increase it to taste.

Karen

Enjoy!

Doreen
  #164   ^
Old Wed, Aug-06-08, 11:22
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Quote:
Originally Posted by carress

EDITED TO ADD
I checked through all 11 pages, and foudn that I can just use splenda, but is the stuff in the bag that measures cup for cup like sugar considered 'granular' splenda???

Thanks for any help..

Yes, the granular is the "spoon for spoon". What grocery store did you look in for the SugarTwin? (are you in Canada? what part?) I see SugarTwin, both White and Brown granular, and the plain liquid, in just about every grocery store and in the larger "department stores", too. Usually in the sugar or baking supply section.

#165   ^
Old Thu, Aug-07-08, 19:18

Plan: Atkinsish
Stats: 200/194/165 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress:

I'm in New York - I looked in Stop n Shop and Price chopper. I didn't see liquid splenda either. I know i've seen sugar twin before, maybe a long while ago...

So - I did the 10 tablespoons of splenda, and it didn't seem like enough, so I added two more.
The cheesecake wasn't sweet - just had a little hint of sweet. There was a nice 'savory' flavor, but it definitely needed way more sugar. I wasn't sure when I tasted the batter b/c I've never made cheesecake before. Next time, I'll almost double the sugar. Texture-wise, the cake was perfect. I may have cooked it a liittle too long b/c the entire outside edge was brown and gummy - ad it cracked (I really don't care about that).

My crust was pretty good- again not sweet enough. I used Bakers unsweetened chocolate (melted) and added tons of splenda. As others have said, it was grainy and not sweet. I added a handful of almonds and two handfuls of pecans and processed them together after turning the nuts into a near powder.
By itself, the crust wasn't very good, but it did pick up a little something from the cake, and it was a nice compliment.

Next time- my cheesecake will be aswesome. I'm so glad I found this recipe.