Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Karen's Corner
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jun-13-05, 20:20
Monday came.

Plan: my own
Stats: 275/228.6/155 Female 5'4"
BF:ummm . . . ?
Progress: 39%
Question Looking for ideas for teaching home ec

Hi Karen and folks,

I'm going to be teaching a home ec. class in the fall, and have no background in this area (unless we count my having taken it in 7th grade . . .)

My principal offered to smuggle in white flour and sugar from the school kitchen, and saw my face, and said, "Or not. . . "

I'd really like to make this a relevant-to-today's-youth class, not simply a rehash of the dreaded home-ec from the '70'ies. I also live in a region where diabetes rates are skyrocketing, even among children. And yes, the school has the well-stocked row of one-arm bandits, stealing kids' money, focus, and health and making sure they are well-started on a lifetime addictive eating pattern. . . but I digress. . . .

I've done some websurfin, and will continue, but meanwhile, I'm looking for resources for teaching that aren't a rehash of the same old food pyramid/make some cookies routine. . . any ideas or resources appreciated.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jun-15-05, 02:45
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Just wanted you to know I'm thinking about it...

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jun-15-05, 05:36

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 275/159/145 Female 5 feet five inches
BF:
Progress: 89%

Hi, I am usless in the kitchen, but I remember when I took home ec we had a unit on healthy meals within a tight budget. My teacher (a fantastic person) took us to a grocery store and basically taught us how to shop. Her main point was that "NO, you don't have to eat Mac'n'cheese"
Good luck with your class.
Astrid
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jun-15-05, 23:52
Monday came.

Thanks, ladies. I have been having retrospective "maybe this was off-topic" remorse. . .
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jun-16-05, 02:34
Forum Founder

BF:

Quote:
Thanks, ladies. I have been having retrospective "maybe this was off-topic" remorse.

It's a good topic, but you've got me scratching my head as to how to teach it.

What I would do...hmm...

I would assemble recipes that were not too complicated and place focus on whole foods, keeping refined foods out of the program. I would try as much as I could to stay away from wheat.

I would start with making soup. It's easy and requires no special skills. Then on to; cooking eggs - for breakfast, lunch, or dinner; whole meal salads; whole grain cooking; fruit desserts

I would do things that kids like, for example: cream of tomato soup with microwaved or oven baked cheese crisps; fried rice made with brown rice; roll-ups - ham and cheese slices rolled around lettuce; potato skins stuffed with chili; pizza on a thin, whole wheat tortilla.

Is this what you kind of had in mind? It would depend on your budget too, so how is your budget?

Karen
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jun-23-05, 22:27
Monday came.

Hi Karen and Astrid, and thanks,

Those are good suggestions. Budget? As I said above, I think the principal is planning on raiding the school lunch kitchen by flashlight. He offered me all the white flour and sugar I wanted. . . then saw my (I thought concealed) reaction and said, "Or not. . . " I've thought about writing to the manufacturers of some LC sweeteners and seeing if they would donate some of their product for the class.

While I am not going to go LCrusader on them, I want them firmly aware that there are other ways to make sweet treats besides w/sugar. We also have a diabetes prevention program in the community that is pretty grant-rich, and I thought I'd hit them up for products.

We are in a rural area, and I want to focus my instruction on culturally/regionally significant activities--canning fish, putting up wild game (hoping to do a weekend camp where students will get to clean and put up freshly harvested big game animal/s.) In the spring, I want to help them get a garden started (school just build a greenhouse this spring.)

Also, I like the suggestion to take kids shopping--and esp. if we can arrange a presentation/q.a. session with produce manager, butcher, store manager.

I heard the food pyramid concept is under revision--I simply cannot tell them that a pasta/starch based diet is a healthy one. That's my main concern--how to approach the teaching of nutrition in a way that meets the needs of students across a spectrum of physiologies. . .
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jun-24-05, 00:48
Forum Founder

BF:

You're ideas sound great! I especially like this
Quote:
I want to focus my instruction on culturally/regionally significant activities--canning fish, putting up wild game (hoping to do a weekend camp where students will get to clean and put up freshly harvested big game animal/s.) In the spring, I want to help them get a garden started (school just build a greenhouse this spring.)
So few kids - and adults too, I'm ashamed to say - don't have a clue as to how food is produced and where it comes from.

Have you read anything on Alice Waters' project?

http://www.edibleschoolyard.org/ppl_aw.html

You might find a lot of cool ideas there.

Karen
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jul-01-05, 19:57
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathleen24

Those are good suggestions. Budget? As I said above, I think the principal is planning on raiding the school lunch kitchen by flashlight. He offered me all the white flour and sugar I wanted. . . then saw my (I thought concealed) reaction and said, "Or not. . . " I've thought about writing to the manufacturers of some LC sweeteners and seeing if they would donate some of their product for the class.

While I am not going to go LCrusader on them, I want them firmly aware that there are other ways to make sweet treats besides w/sugar. We also have a diabetes prevention program in the community that is pretty grant-rich, and I thought I'd hit them up for products.

We are in a rural area, and I want to focus my instruction on culturally/regionally significant activities--canning fish, putting up wild game (hoping to do a weekend camp where students will get to clean and put up freshly harvested big game animal/s.) In the spring, I want to help them get a garden started (school just build a greenhouse this spring.)

Also, I like the suggestion to take kids shopping--and esp. if we can arrange a presentation/q.a. session with produce manager, butcher, store manager.

I heard the food pyramid concept is under revision--I simply cannot tell them that a pasta/starch based diet is a healthy one. That's my main concern--how to approach the teaching of nutrition in a way that meets the needs of students across a spectrum of physiologies. . .

Hey there, I was just reviewing a new issue if Low Carb Energy magazine (July/August 2005) and there are at least 3 items or articles that may be helpful to you in your current hunt! For example:
- Creating Low-Carb Family Meals, with suggestions on bridging the nutritional transition between (too-often school provided) 'white' foods and sweet treats and more nutritionally sound choices, and similar strategies.
- Fast Meal Ideas for Busy Days, with breakfast, lunch, snack and dinner choices and suggestions for the whole family.
...and a short bit with excellent weblinks about the new and improved (multiple) Food Pyramids, on page 8 with News highlights
www.MyPyramid.gov and
www.healthierus.gov/dietaryguidelines
... while not precisely low carb, there's a MUCH greater emphasis on whole grains and more veggies...

Here's the weblink for the LowCarb Energy magazine (and forums and recipes and tips and all sorts of useful bits):
www.sheknows.com/lowcarb/

Hope this helps you, and good luck on your efforts, sounds like you've got a heck of a project in front of you.