Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, May-04-01, 18:45

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Question

Hi all,

As I mentioned I am new to this site. I am planning to do the Atkins WOE. I had considered doing it a long time ago and began reading the book and got discouraged because I didn't understand at lot of the Lingo in it. I have been thumbing through the threads and I just have to say that I have come across some of the nicest and supportive people that I have ever seen. This site is very beneficial and I am very happy to know that it even exist. I would have never imagined such a community existed.

Now as stated before I had planned on doing the Atkins diet a long time ago and was discouraged. I think I somewhat understand the WOE now but still have a few questions about it. For the induction process, can someone explain to me how the lo-carb veggies and lettuce could possibly be spread out throughout the day? I read about the 3c's of lettuce and wondered if that 3c's would consume the whole 20g's for one day? Is snacking between meals allowed? What is the cheese rule(how much of what kinds? Is there a type of cheese that you can have unlimited amounts of?) What about sweetners what is a can have if there is one? I just can't drink black coffee with out some sort of sweetner.

I am sorry about all the questions... but I want to get started as soon as I can but just have few little fuzzy's still running around in the old noggin that is preventing me from moving forward with this. I'd appreciate any suggestions that anyone have to offer.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, May-04-01, 19:42
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Welcome aboard, FA!

3 cups of lettuce is no way near the 20g limit. You can lookup a lot of green veggies in the USDA website (in our links section) that provide a good low-carb variety.

Have a look in our "Tips" section, for a lot of valuable information, and answers to you questions. We look forward to hearing about your progress

Wa'il
  #3   ^
Old Sat, May-05-01, 00:42
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi fat away ;0,

What gets you off to a good start is good carb counting. There is no reason to ever get bored. The induction phase of Atkins is designed to kick-start you into the low-carb WOE. There are many possibilities under the 20 gram a day range. We encourage you to look through the Tips section at the top of the page.

Doreen has pointed out many times that Atkins induction does not subtract the fiber the effective carb count (ECC), hence the small portions of vegetables

When I first started this WOL, I made a list of all the vegetables I liked to eat that were low in carbs and made my meals out of them. It really helped me get used to carb counting because I put the carb count and measurement beside each ingredient.

After induction, you can increase your carb intake by 5 grams a day until you know what your tolerance level is.

Read Protein Power as well. It's easy to understand and the "induction" starts at 30 grams per day. And, you can subtract fiber from carbs, which has worked very well for me. On this WOE, you need lots of fiber!

Karen