Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Feb-01-18, 05:07

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%
Default Standing vs sitting CICO nonsense

Quote:
Stand up -- it could help you lose weight
A 65 kg person would lose 10 kg in 4 years by standing instead of sitting for 6 hours a day

A new study published today in the European Journal of Preventive Cardiology1 found that standing instead of sitting for six hours a day could prevent weight gain and help people to actually lose weight.

Prolonged sitting has been linked to the obesity epidemic, cardiovascular disease, and diabetes. Europeans sit for up to seven hours a day, and even physically active people may spend most of the day in a chair.

This paper examined whether standing burns more calories than sitting. The researchers analysed results from a total of 46 studies with 1,184 participants in all. Participants, on average, were 33 years old, 60% were men, and the average body mass index and weight were 24 kg/m2 and 65 kg, respectively.

The researchers found that standing burned 0.15 kcal per minute more than sitting. By substituting standing for sitting for six hours a day, a 65 kg person would expend an extra 54 kcal a day. Assuming no increase in food intake, that would equate to 2.5 kg in one year and 10 kg in four years.

Senior author Professor Francisco Lopez-Jimenez, Chief of Preventive Cardiology at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, US, said: "Standing not only burns more calories, the additional muscle activity is linked to lower rates of heart attacks, strokes, and diabetes, so the benefits of standing could go beyond weight control."

The gap in energy expenditure between standing and sitting could be even greater than the study found. Participants were standing still, while in reality people make small movements while standing. "Our results might be an underestimate because when people stand they tend to make spontaneous movements like shifting weight or swaying from one foot to another, taking small steps forward and back. People may even be more likely to walk to the filing cabinet or trash bin," said Professor Lopez-Jimenez.

The authors concluded that replacing standing for sitting could be yet another behaviour change to help reduce the risk of long term weight gain. They suggest more research is needed to see whether such a strategy is effective and practical. Data is also needed, they say, on the long term health implications of standing for extended periods.

Professor Lopez-Jimenez said: "It's important to avoid sitting for hours at a time. Standing is a very good first step -- no pun intended -- to avoid this mindset of sitting interminably without moving. Who knows, it may also prompt some people to do a little more and take up some mild physical activity, which would be even more beneficial."

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releas...80131184748.htm

They think you can increase calories out by 54 by standing instead of sitting, without somehow compensating. For a person who burns about 2000 calories a day, that's a 2.7 percent increase in calories burned, you can't even know with that degree of accuracy how many calories you're actually eating on a given day, on any reasonable, non-purified diet.

Quote:
People may even be more likely to walk to the filing cabinet or trash bin," said Professor Lopez-Jimenez.

If you generate a lot of trash, that should be good for another several calories a day.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Feb-01-18, 09:11

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Thank gawd there are people discussing this stuff and periodicals willing to print this critical information. What would we do without this essential pipeline??????????
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Feb-01-18, 10:10

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Quote:
The authors concluded that replacing standing for sitting could be yet another behaviour change to help reduce the risk of long term weight gain. They suggest more research is needed to see whether such a strategy is effective and practical. Data is also needed, they say, on the long term health implications of standing for extended periods.

More research is needed? He is senior staff at The Mayo Clinic!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Feb-01-18, 10:39

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

On a recent airplane trip, the airline magazine contained many ads for various desk configurations: stand, sit, cycle! All aimed at a healthier life for people in cubicles or home offices. Great fad--great for the makers of these complicated movable surfaces.

For ten years prior to my retirement, I sat at my desk on an inflatable exercise ball, in hopes that the movement, shifts in balance, etc. would help with my weight management. Meh. Luckily I only fell backwards once and nobody knew it. The OSHA folks were very much against this nonsense in the office.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Feb-01-18, 10:58

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkloots
On a recent airplane trip, the airline magazine contained many ads for various desk configurations: stand, sit, cycle! All aimed at a healthier life for people in cubicles or home offices. Great fad--great for the makers of these complicated movable surfaces.

I use an Imac desk top computer. I have it on an adjustable stand that sits on top of my desk with the computer on top of the stand. I find standing while using the computer to be more comfortable than sitting. I get a back ache when I sit but it never occurred to me that I could lose weight this way. Such a silly notion. It's hard to imagine that anyone believes this kind of nonsense.

Jean
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Feb-01-18, 11:05

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

I need one of those adjustable stands - my knee hurts if I sit too long. Ditto if I stand or walk too much, but going back & forth seems to be good.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Feb-01-18, 14:46

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

The worst thing for knees & backs is standing all day, especially on a concrete floor - just ask any supermarket cashier. Mixing it up with one foot or the other up on a stool if you have to stand all day and walking & sitting during breaks is needed.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Feb-01-18, 17:57

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by deirdra
The worst thing for knees & backs is standing all day, especially on a concrete floor - just ask any supermarket cashier. Mixing it up with one foot or the other up on a stool if you have to stand all day and walking & sitting during breaks is needed.

Yep, it's incredibly hard on the joints.

As a self scan attendant, I do a lot more walking back and forth from one register to another than a regular cashier who is stuck in one spot behind the register all day, but even at that, if being on your feet all those hours made enough of a difference to cause weight loss, I should be downright svelte at this point.

There are quite a few younger co-workers who are still slim and trim, most likely mainly because they're still young, and either have really good genes, or just haven't totally wrecked their metabolisms yet. There are of course even a few older co-workers who are still slim. But for the most part, the people I work with are overweight, and becoming more and more overweight as they get older, despite the fact that they're on their feet all day long.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Feb-01-18, 19:38
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

Several of the women I know here on the forum are 70+ years of age. I'm one of them, and I can tell you that after a certain age, sitting can become debilitating. Not saying that standing as opposed to sitting burns more calories, but saying that thousands of tiny muscles need to be used every day after a certain age. Muscles in the ankles in particular help us keep our balance.

Even 5 years ago, it was totally different for me.

Old people who sit in recliners most of the day end up having to sleep in those very same recliners because they're unable to get up out of them any more.

Movement is very important.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Feb-01-18, 20:15

Plan: LCHF / IF
Stats: 333/113/138 Female 5'6"
BF:BMI 56/18/22
Progress: 113%

I spent 13 years standing up at my last employment - 7.21hrs per day. Of course you're going to move from one foot to the other and forward and back because you get damm sore feet and achy legs after a long while (and I was a healthy weight then too) .15cal heeehee almost makes me miss it (not)
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Feb-02-18, 03:45

Plan: LerC, TRE, IF
Stats: 150/120/120 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

As I am retired I spend more time walking about. As a result I am five pounds heavier, but measurements stayed the same. Because, you know, building muscle not losing weight.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Feb-02-18, 08:24

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesinger
Several of the women I know here on the forum are 70+ years of age. I'm one of them, and I can tell you that after a certain age, sitting can become debilitating. Not saying that standing as opposed to sitting burns more calories, but saying that thousands of tiny muscles need to be used every day after a certain age. Muscles in the ankles in particular help us keep our balance.

Even 5 years ago, it was totally different for me.

Old people who sit in recliners most of the day end up having to sleep in those very same recliners because they're unable to get up out of them any more.

Movement is very important.

The doctor once told my grandmother that she should put her feet up and walk around for a while. Neat trick if you can do both of those at the same time! Of course he meant that she shouldn't just sit around all day, but also shouldn't spend all her time on her feet, but ah, how I'd really like to be able to both sit and walk around at the same time - would certainly help keep the joints from becoming so stiff so often.

I find I do better if I can switch back and forth from sitting to being on my feet more frequently. Unfortunately, I can't do that at work - when I've been on my feet for several hours, I find it difficult to bend the joints enough to sit. If I sit for very long, I find it difficult to straighten the joints enough to get up again.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Feb-02-18, 09:12

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Can we all agree that moving around in various ways throughout the day is a healthy way to live? I think so.

I’m one of those 70-plus women Glenda refers to. Part of my life involves visiting elderly people in assisted living or other residences. My image of old age isn’t pretty, and i hope fervently to resist. Living in a three-story house (four including the laundry in the basement) adds a bit of exertion to every day.

For specific exercise, I target back muscles, back of shoulder, and large leg muscles. Rebounding helps those small muscles in the feet, too. Planks or leg lifts for everything in the core.

Start now! Life in a recliner, life on a walker, life flat in bed? Not life as you want it.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Feb-02-18, 09:15
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

Apologies, Teaser. Didn't mean to turn this into an old girl's whine. Still, even this subject needs to be viewed from all angles.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Feb-02-18, 09:18

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Standing is a good idea, moving is a good idea. It's the extra 54 calories that's nonsense. When I was 30, sitting most of the weekend playing Civilization or Final Fantasy didn't leave me feeling too good. I don't find walking does much for my body fat, but getting in some minimum amount daily makes me feel better physically.