Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jan-17-10, 12:44
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/182/160 Male 5' 11
BF:
Progress: 45%
Default Semi low-carb is working on me

Hello everyone, and thank you for your wonderful messages. I just joined the very nice "Medical Weight Loss" club in Michigan. To my surprise, I find it similar to Atkins. I am starting to realize that many diets that do not call themselves low-carb use Atkins principles.

Here is my story:

--In 2005 I easily lost 35 pounds in a year using Atkins (and I therefore happily endorse Atkins). I went from 200 to 165 (5 pounds shy of my goal weight of 160).

--Over the last four years, I gained back 20 of the 35 pounds I lost.

--My problem: I find it hard to follow Atkins without eating more meat than I care to. Consequently, I drift away from Atkins and eat random foods mindlessly.

--My latest action: I have joined this seven-week supervised diet club to lose my excess 27 pounds. Though I was able to follow Atkins without supervision, this time around I felt like seeing if supervision would make dieting easier.

--The new diet: The diet club people predict I will lose 4 pounds a week with what they call a balanced diet--which to me looks like a semi low-carb diet. It differs from Atkins as follows: it permits small amounts of fruits and some starches, and it is low fat and low sodium. Unlike Atkins, this diet club does not believe ketosis is a desirable condition.

--Results: So far what they say has proven true; I have lost 10 pounds in two weeks.

I hope this message helps others to lose weight. Good luck on your quest.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jan-17-10, 14:06

Plan: JUDDD 4/30/2012
Stats: 154/141/135 Female 54.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 68%

Congrats on your quick results! I am trying carb cycling this time around and I feel much better than I did on Adkins. I lost 5.5 pounds the first week on carb cycling, will keep it going!. I think this will fit much better into my lifestyle.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jan-18-10, 08:24

Plan: Whole food, semi low carb
Stats: 165/165/140 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Congrats on you success so far. I lost most of my weight on semi low-carb. I do always avoid refined flours and sugar. My carbs come from oatmeal, brown rice, fruit, veggies, yogurt, and some occasional whole grain crackers.

I've been maintaining for 16 months now and couldn't be happier with the way I eat. It offers lots of variety, never leaves me hungry, and keeps me healthy and lean. Good luck.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jan-18-10, 10:50
Registered Member

BF:

Thank you cactusrose and LAwoman for your encouraging replies.

In some ways, Atkins was easier for me than semi low-carb. I do find that I am hungry at times on semi low-carb whereas on Atkins I was never hungry. To avoid hunger, on semi low-carb I have to be careful about eating at regular intervals of time.

Altogether, I have to "think more" on the semi low-carb diet than I did on the Atkins. On the other hand, semi low-carb may be easier to maintain in the long-term, even if in the short-term I have to do more thinking.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jan-18-10, 11:07

BF:

"I do find that I am hungry at times on semi low-carb whereas on Atkins I was never hungry."

Try adding some protein with your carbs. Protein is supposed to keep your blood sugar level and minimize hunger. On the other hand, some people advocate eating every three hours to increase our metabolism. Not always an option for me though at work. Good luck!

Last edited by cactusrose : Mon, Jan-18-10 at 11:12.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jan-18-10, 11:11

BF:

LAWoman75...What did you do specifically to lose your weight and get to goal? I am very interested in the details. What I am doing in depth I have included in my journal. If you have a moment, do you mind looking at that and give me any suggestions? Thanks a bunch!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jan-19-10, 08:07
Registered Member

BF:

Cactusrose--thank you, I will try the protein for hunger control. Because Atkins says fat intake is the secret of appetite control, I thought my current diet left me hungry because it is low in fat. The protein route, however, could be the solution I seek. Thanks again.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jan-19-10, 08:50

Plan: food combining
Stats: 150/137.4/125 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

Hello and congrats on the weight loss!!

Can you please explain to me a carb cycling?? I am a bit confused.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jan-19-10, 09:33

BF:
Default Overview of carb cycling

I have two non-consecutive days of higher carbs, like Saturday and Wednesday, not crazy high carbs! That way if I want some bread or pasta or (very) small dessert, I can without the guilt. My journal has details of what I am doing and it is working so far, although it has only been 11 or 12 days. But I feel soooo much better, my clothes are fitting better by the day and my energy level is better.

When you carb cycle, you basically confuse your body into increasing it's metabolism and losing more fat. It is like changing your workout routine and then you find your body getting stronger or an increase in endurance.

I will be weighing in again on Friday, so I will post the progress in my journal.Good luck!
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jan-19-10, 09:40

BF:

Wardrobe, I learned about the protein/blood sugar thing when I went to a dietician about my hypoglycemia. The consistent protein intake really helps me avoid lows and crashes (which trigger hunger feelings)...although at that time of the month I seem to still be crazy "hungry". Damn hormones!

I know you have heard this a thousand times, but drink enough water since the thirst center and the hunger center are close together in your brain. Your brain can become confused and mistake thirst for hunger.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jan-20-10, 06:57

Plan: Whole food, semi low carb
Stats: 165/165/140 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusrose
LAWoman75...What did you do specifically to lose your weight and get to goal? I am very interested in the details. What I am doing in depth I have included in my journal. If you have a moment, do you mind looking at that and give me any suggestions? Thanks a bunch!

What I mainly did was cut out the processed foods entirely and sugars. I never touch pasta or tortillas or any other white stuff and severely limit wheat. I see that you have some bread and pasta on higher carb days. I don't know if that's a good idea. Why no instead have apple, oatmeal, etc. 99% of the food I eat are pure whole foods, nothing pre-packaged. And also, I don't drink much water at all and I've never quite understood the concept of forcing oneself to drink all that water. I pee enough as it is, if I drunk 8 glasses a day, I would live in the bathroom. My protein is usually meat. I think of cheese as a garnishment or quick snack. Eating meat at lunch and dinner is what fills me. For an afternoon snack, I might have a boiled egg and cheese, or some yogurt and berries, but make sure you are satisfied from your meals.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jan-20-10, 21:56

BF:

Thanks for the tips...yes I usually do increase my fruit for a higher carb day, I have to say, it tastes extra yummy when you have absolutely no sweets in your WOE; only rarely do I have some pasta if I go out for dinner with my husband. I am keeping refined sugars to a minimum or zero. I cannot believe how much better I feel and my energy level has really gotten way better. I will say though, I do enjoy a piece of toast with my eggs in the morning once in a while. I am hoping that I will be able to incorporate the carb cycling into my everyday life after goal, and to keep on track. Sounds like you have done a great job with that. Congrats! Thanks for taking the time to give me your input.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Jan-23-10, 09:40
Registered Member

BF:

Cactusrose,

Did you hear any recommendation of soy protein powder as an effective tool for hunger and blood sugar control? Thanks for the ideas.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Jan-23-10, 12:05

BF:

Hmmm, I have not bought soy or whey protein powder in ages. Sorry. Are you thinking about something quick and portable for hunger and blood sugar control?
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Jan-23-10, 12:10

BF:

Wardrobe,

Check out the Kitchen Talk forum...someone just asked about protein powders and there are several replies. May help.