Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-24-06, 06:43

Plan: Atkins-SCD
Stats: 125/99.5/110 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 170%
Default Specific Carbohydrate Diet

Hello Everybody who is on the SCD or is interested.

www.breakingtheviciouscycle.org and www.scdiet.org has all the info about the diet. We could include it here as it's a low/semi-carb diet and deals with nutrition and supplements... the diet is designed for people with celiac, Chrohn's, IBD and other intestinal and autoimmune disorders but even if you don't suffer from any of this stuff, it's still one of the healthiest diets I could find. It's grain-free, lactose-free, dextrose-free. It allows only fructose in fruit and honey and not the fructose extract. You are also encouraged to make you own yoghurt at home if you can tolerate milk.

OK, so I decided to do the diet. I was doing some research and found that Bed Bath and Beyond has the Salton yoghurt maker for 15 bucks. Drugstore.com, too. For a limited time, I suppose. So I'll get it on my next shopping trip. I just need to order the yogurt starter online...
The diet involves a lot of cooking/baking from scratch, but I love to do it. We all know if we want to get better we have to give up junk and the convenience of most fast food.

I'm curious if there's any interest in this thread.
Good day, folks.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-24-06, 06:51
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hullo Tunkany,

Yes, there are a few of us here on the SCD. In fact, if you check "Plans" on the green bar at the top of the screen, you'll see a summary of the diet there.

It's not always easy doing a low carb version of the diet, but the results are worth it.

I make my yoghurt in my old electric frypan. I just use the lowest setting, and place my big casserole dish on a folded hand towel in the frypan. Works really well. The only way to get a yoghurt maker here that works over the 24 hours necessary is to have one sent from the US, but i am so used to doing it in the frypan now, that I feel no need.

Cheers,

Roz
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-24-06, 09:41
Lovin' The GI Diet!

Plan: YOU: On A Diet
Stats: 250.0/231.0/160 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 21%

Hi Tunkany!
Just wanted to let you know that I make my own yogurt in a crockpot. There are many ways to make it besides buying a yogurt maker. I would be happy to help. I am not on
SCD, but The G.I. Diet and love it. I too make all my own foods, it's lot of work, but love eating healthy.

Best wishes
Chari
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jan-24-06, 09:52
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I'm doing SCD too. My intestines are much happier with me now. I'm intolerant to dairy and gluten but just getting off them wasn't enough, it seemed like everything was disagreeing with me.

I'm making yogurt out of everything. Coconut milk, pureed fruit and water. Its kind of fun.

I also made my own sausages last weekend. Never did that before!

I saw Alton Brown make yogurt. I think he put a heating pad inside a stock pot, around it, so the middle was open. Then he slid down his container filled with yogurt into that. I suppose one could use mason jars if you did it that way.

I do have, and use, the Salton yogurt maker.

GailEW started a food intolerances recipe thread down in Kitchen Talk, it might be useful for this group. Also, I find there's a lot in common between the Paleo diet and SCD, so their recipe thread is quite useful too.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jan-25-06, 13:00

BF:

Hi surfer 376,
I also have a crock pot, but I won't be able to adjust the temprerature on it correctly, there are 3 settings low, medium high and I don't know the temperatures. My oven is a dinosaur and I don't want to mess with the bulbs. So I'm just gonna buy a yogurt maker. What's is the G.I diet? I guess I could read up on it here somewhere in the forum...
I'm sorry, I'm pretty new to these diets. I had always thought I was healthy and eating healthy until a few months ago. I still havn't figured out what my problem is, but I suspect it has something to do with grains and sugars. I have eczema and it's affected by what I eat. I had never had it before so I'm just discovering the causes and this diet jungle...
Yes I should keep a journal, becuase at this point I don't know what causes the flare-ups. I have gluten, sugar, strawberries and eggs as suspects. And maybe soy since it's in everything. When I don't eat at home I don't know what I ingest (I don't know what my folks or restaurant people cook with-probably soy and canola-yuck).
So I decided to follow the SCD diet because it makes sense and also Moseyman gave me hope that it might work for me too. I don't want to lose more weight as I'm still breastfeeding, I just want to be healthy.

Nancy LC how do you make yogurt with coconut milk, do you use canned milk? I made milk from unsweetened shredded coconuts before, it tasted yucky. How can the bacteria feed on coconut milk?
I have to educate myself about the Paleo diet, too...
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jan-25-06, 13:16
Experimenter

BF:

Go down to the cooking forum and look in the "Kitchen Talk" area. We've got a thread going on food intolerances and my cocoyo recipe is in there. You have to add a bit of honey to feed the bacteria, either that or puree some fruit. Last batch I used a slurry with mango and water and only half the coconut milk. Best batch yet!

Eating out on SCD is going to be very tough. Here's how I plan on handling it:

Either.. bring my own food. I'll explain I'm on a very limited diet, tell them I want to enjoy their company but my food intolerances are such a PITA I gotta bring all my own food.

Or... eat ahead of time and not eat.

Or...bring something I know I can eat and share it.

Or... restaurant... probably will ask for a plain veggie salad with oil and vinegar on the side (i.e. eat at home first!) Although if it is my favorite thai restaurant I might go ahead and have something. Most likely it is ok (gluten wise). I won't eat the rice, but I will have some sort of curry and veggies on the side.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jan-25-06, 14:38

BF:

I like Outback Steakhouse, you get all the meat you want and veggies!!! But I don't think I'll go to a Chinese restaurant for a while....
I did check out the yogurt recipe, I can't wait to get my yogurt maker and try it all!
Is there any fast food places that would be SCD legal? Is it enough to just throw away the bun? I wonder what they cook those hamburgers in. How can you be sure if those patties are 100 percent beef and not filled with soy? Is mayonaise allowed?
Yeah, I think salads are a good choice, with your own dressing...

Does anyone know where to get almond flour cheap? I don't have a food processor so grinding my own almonds is out of the question. I tried the coffee grinder, but it's too small and not powerful enough.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jan-25-06, 14:40

BF:

Oh, one more question about canned coconut milk? Is the preservetive OK?
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jan-25-06, 15:10
Lovin' The GI Diet!

Plan: YOU: On A Diet
Stats: 250.0/231.0/160 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 21%

The crockpot would work all you need is a thermometer, start it on low and turn it off when temp reaches over 110 f....it only takes three hours to get yogurt, so you would have to turn it off and on 6 times or so. You were asking about the gi diet, here's the summary which is not published yet, but should be soon as the forum founder gets time.

Summary for The GI Diet

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Plans name: The G.I. Diet (2002).

Books:
The G.I. Diet, published 2002, by Rick Gallop.
Living the G.I. Diet, published 2003 by Rick Gallop and Emily Richards.
Living the G.I. Diet (Revised) by Rick Gallop available Jan. 2006.
The Family G.I. Diet by Rick Gallop and Dr. Ruth Gallop available Jan. 2006.

About the Authors:
Rick Gallop is the past president of The Heart and Stroke Foundation of Ontario.
Emily Richards is a professional home economist with a B.Sc. in food and nutrition.
Dr. Ruth Gallop, Rick's wife, is Professor Emeritus at the University of Toronto with a particular interest in women's emotional health and well-being.

Basic Philosophy:
Rick Gallop has developed a diet that addresses the three main reasons many dieters fail and re-gain their weight.
1. They feel hungry or deprived.
2. Diets are too complex with measuring and counting of calories, grams, blocks, quotas etc.
3. They do not feel healthy.
Measuring and listing the G.I. (glycemic index) of foods was developed by Dr. David Jenkins, a professor of nutrition at the University of Toronto, the G.I. measures the speed at which foods are broken down by the body to form glucose, the body's source of energy. He discovered that high G.I. foods break down quickly and leave you looking for the next food fix. Low G.I. foods break down more slowly and leave you feeling fuller, longer. It is these low G.I. foods that form the core of the diet.
The G.I. Diet encourages eating carbohydrates such as fruit, vegetables, whole grains, beans and low fat dairy, while saturated fat is virtually eliminated. If there is one thing that all the health, medical and nutritional authorities agree upon it is that a diet rich in vegetables, fruits, nuts, legumes, lean meat/fish and whole grains is essential for long-term good health. The G.I. Diet in a nutshell.
Rick Gallop developed the "traffic light" idea in this diet, which makes all the calculations for you by listing all foods in three traffic light color categories: red light foods which you avoid if you want to lose weight; yellow light listings are foods that are to be used occasionally; and green light foods that you can eat as much as you like.
Finaly the G.I. Diet will not let you go hungry or feel deprived, and will actually reduce your risk from heart disease, stroke, type 2 diabetes, and many cancers.

By the numbers:
Eat 3 meals and 3 snacks a day. Never go hungry. No counting of calories, blocks, fats or carbohydrates . Eat from the green light list of foods until you feel full but not stuffed.
Method:
Phase 1 - Weight loss.
Phase 2 - Maintenance.
Phase 1:
Eat exclusively green light foods (low glycemic).
Eat three principle meals per day plus three snacks.
Control portions to 1/4 plate low g.i. carbs, 1/4 plate protein, 1/2 plate vegetables or fruit.

Typical menu:
Breakfast
Cereal & fruit
1/2 cup cooked old fashioned or steel cut oats with skim milk and sliced almonds or fruit.
or
1/2 cup fiber one topped with skim milk. Add a piece of chopped fruit.
Morning snack
A small handful of nuts.
Lunch
Toasted ham, cheese & tomato sandwich
Make an open faced sandwich with a low GI grainy bread, shaved lean ham, tomato slices and a slice of low fat cheese. Season and toast under the grill. Add a cup of lentil & barley soup
Afternoon snack
Low fat no added sugar yogurt.
Dinner
Quick and easy pork & apple slices
Cook thin pieces of pork loin steak (allowing 100g uncooked per person), in pan sprayed with cooking spray, set aside keeping warm. Peel, core and slice a granny smith apple, and cook in a little olive oil. Combine apple and pork slices with baby spinach leaves, sliced red onion, and steamed baby new potatoes (3 per person).
Evening snack
A piece of fruit.
Phase 2:
Increase serving sizes.
Include yellow light foods, such as: juice, bananas, new potatoes, corn on the cob, red wine.
Eat yellow light and the occasional red light food in moderation.
Continue to monitor weight to find your gain/lose balance point.

Unique Features:
It is the combination of three attributes that makes The G.I. Diet unique. These are:
1. There is no need to go hungry or feel deprived on this diet. The diet is a balanced combination of proteins carbohydrates and good fats all of which are necessary for the maintenance of good health.
2. The diet is extremely simple to follow. All foods are color-coded, on a traffic light basis: red light, yellow light and green light. There is no need to weigh measure or count grams calories or blocks. Simply follow the traffic lights.
3. The diet is very beneficial to health. Health and nutritional authorities agree that a diet rich in fruits, vegetables, legumes, nuts, lean meat/fish and low fat dairy is ideal for maintaining bodily health. For those who have health problems such as hypertension, cholesterol or type two diabetes, The G.I. Diet has shown remarkable impact on them, resulting in reduction in medication and in some cases removing medication entirely.

Homepage: http://www.gidiet.com
Summarized by: Quincy.
Take care
Chari
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jan-25-06, 16:05
Experimenter

BF:

On SCD you have to ferment the yogurt for 24 hours to eat up all the lactose.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jan-25-06, 16:06
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunkany

Mine doesn't have any preservative. I would think you should avoid that. I beileve Thai Kitchen's doesn't have any and Trader Joe's doesn't have any.

Quote:
Is there any fast food places that would be SCD legal? Is it enough to just throw away the bun? I wonder what they cook those hamburgers in. How can you be sure if those patties are 100 percent beef and not filled with soy? Is mayonaise allowed?
Yeah, I think salads are a good choice, with your own dressing...

Does anyone know where to get almond flour cheap? I don't have a food processor so grinding my own almonds is out of the question. I tried the coffee grinder, but it's too small and not powerful enough.

Probably not SCD legal. Are you gluten intolerant? If so, you don't want to even eat food that has touched wheat.

I don't think any modern sizeable chain restaurants use any fillers in their burgers. You can always go to their web sites and look at the ingredients. Probably the only thing that would be legal from fast food restaurants would be salads from a salad bar.

I get almond flour at a reasonable price at Trader Joe's. Other than that you might look for Honeyville Grains or just search on the web. (Use google). Actually, I think I got hazelnut flour from TJ's recently, it was cheaper than the Almond flour.

Turkany, do you have the SCD book? I think they discuss a lot of things like mayonaisse (not legal unless you make your own). Also: www.breakingtheviciouscycle.info is a good resource online.

Problem with fast food is that it all has additives, probably even the salads. Even if it is just MSG or something, it isn't really allowed on SCD.

Last edited by Nancy LC : Wed, Jan-25-06 at 16:12.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jan-25-06, 16:18
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
On SCD you have to ferment the yogurt for 24 hours to eat up all the lactose.

That's correct. I strongly suggest anyone wanting to start SCD to read the book "Breaking the Vicious Cycle" by Elaine Gottschall.

The GI Diet is actually not at all suitable for someone following SCD. SCD does not permit starches of any kind, and the only dairy allowed is homemade under SCD conditions and certain aged cheeses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunkany

I would avoid all canned foods for a while yet, Tunkany. This is what Elaine Gottschall said about canned foods:
Quote:
If you use canned foods, the diet will not be as effective, or it may not work at all. THE LABELS ARE MOST OFTEN DECEPTIVE. The companies have continuously put cornstarch and refined sugar in canned food and have not labeled accordingly.
http://www.scdiet.org/7archives/scd002_2.html

HTH

Rosebud
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jan-25-06, 18:03

BF:

Yes I have read that. I don't have the book but I'm planning to get it when I find it. Problem is I don't get out much, it's hard to shop with a 2-year-old and a 7-month-old. I have read everything on the breakingtheviviouscycle and scd websites, have been studying the legal/illegal list. This is why I was wondering about coconut milk. We don't have Trader Joe's or health food stores near my home :-(. I guess I have to get everything on the internet, which I don't like. I like to see the stuff before I buy it.

As for the G.I.diet, I think grains and low-fat got me here where I am... that's not the one for me. I don't know if I'm gluten-sensitive... I only have the rash/hive problem and some unexplained bruising, which I believe is another celiac symptom. I don't have any intestinal pain, bloating, gas, diarrhea, constipation or anything. Never had a problem there. The eczema problem started a few months ago (maybe 9). I have tried all the usual tropical treatments, have gone to the dermatologist, have done research and I realized the rash always got worse after I had a bunch of doughnuts or chocolate. So I started to suspect candida, did the spit test, I tested positive, but I'm still not sure if I actually have candida, but that would explain food allergies. I went on a candida diet about a month ago and since then things have gotten worse.
First I ate raw garlic every day for 2 weeks to clear up a staph infection on my arms caused by infected eczema. The garlic did a good job but I had to stop as you're not supposed to take it for more than 2 weeks. I also started to take a flax/borage/fish oil supplement which gave me major hives. I learned that flax is highly inlflammatory so people with bowel problems should avoid it. So I only take fish oil. I'm also taking a probiotic. I switched from garlic to coconut oil that has caprylic acid.
Since I've been on the diet I had to cheat a few times, every time we ate over at the in-laws. They live on carbs. Once I ate at home so I didn't have to eat the stuff they made, but it's hard because I don't want to hurt their feelings. So I had a few flare-ups, my neck, my chest broke out and I got weird mosquito-bite things on my legs. I don't know what caused it, the carbs that fed the yeast, or gluten, or strawberries, I had quite a few.
So I think the problem with the candida diet is that it allows some grains. So when I read about the SCD I decided to give it a shot. I still don't know whether it's safe to eat cheese and honey if I suspect candida... according to the candida "experts", I should avoid them. I really have to get Elaine Gottchall's book.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jan-25-06, 19:46
Experimenter

BF:

Oh my gosh! People go out to bookstores still? You can order it online. It might be hard to locate in bookstores, but amazon.com and I think BarnesandNoble.com have it.

Elaine revised her book quite a few times. I know in this one she seems to think canned fruits are ok as long as they're sugar free. I'm not really clear on why she doesn't like canned veggies, as long as they don't contain forbidden ingredients. If you're going to make the argument that there are hidden things in canned products, which I'm not sure I agree with, then they'd potentially be in all canned products. I just don't agree that manufacturers are flagrently disregarding labelling laws. Maybe they are, but I haven't seen anything remotely suggesting that in the press. And I would think that would be kind of big news.

I'm letting my gut be the guide. I am using canned coconut milk with nothing else added to it. I haven't had any problems so far.

Eczema is strongly linked to gluten sensitivity.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Jan-26-06, 06:57

BF:

My coconut milk is no good then. I got it in Safeway, it's Thai but it has added stuff. Where do you get pure coconut milk? Healthfood store?
Yes I was a little confused myself about canned food, how come canned fish, tomato juice and fruit in its own juice is allowed and not vegetables and canned meat, the same companies make them. If they are not honest with the labelling of one thing, they are probably not honest with any of them. I guess it's better to err on the safe side and stay away from all canned stuff. Except for my salmon and sardines...