Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Apr-30-15, 10:33
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 150/130/110 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default starvation and, would re-feed help improve my progress?

dear all,

i'm not sure i should post here (as i let my weight originally go up to 260 [from what was in my stats, i haven't changed them], and did have over 100/still have almost 100 to lose - *sigh* - or in the general low carb daily support area, but i'll try here first...

okay. i have to confess, i have not been doing the right thing ...i know that, so i am asking to please not lecture, or give tough love, please be understanding and help me find a way to continue...

what happened is, instead of being able to do a proper, nutritious low carb diet, including veggies, protein, and fat...

i live in a situation where, i became unable to afford food - any food. i literally stopped eating, and had just water and vitamins (and i know this is dangerous, and it was NOT by choice ...please "don't try this at home"!),

and i lost - had to've been way more than water - over 70 pounds in about 4-5 months -

then it completely stopped...not losing a pound or half a pound, for a week, weeks...

i understand there might be stalls, and i might have to accept them ...but i am also under a lot of pressure to lose weight...

finally, i got to eat, and, though i went up a few pounds from the food and water retention, that came off,

plus _additional_ weight - i started losing again

but then i had no more food, and all i could afford was protein powder -

i had started losing muscle ...on no protein, and also i think on one scoop (24g protein) a day, so i went up to 2 scoops

...48g protein, NOT enough for a person of my size, but all i could afford to maintain -

i also started off on 2 TB coconut oil a day (1 a.m., 1p.m.)

and was losing a little for a while ...but again, seemingly after so long of not eating,

stopped again...

as of maybe a week ago, i tried going up to a 3rd TB coconut oil, thinking, maybe i'll make this closer to "ketogenic" (75% of calories from fat),

even though this is by NO means the right way to do it

i lost about half a pount, but then stopped again

today, as a last resort, i am trying a 4th TB of coconut oil -

and i dont think i can do more than this - i LOVE coconut oil (especially, solidified), but this is liquid, and, for me, right now, it's a lot to get down,

i am GAGGING every time i have to take it,

my whole body aches from malnourishment (repeat: know this was not the right way to do this, and, it was NOT by choice...do not try this at home!)

and i am not even losing weight anymore

again, i mention, i know to expect slowed weight loss at some point, and stalls,

but i think that my body might be trying to hold on to weight because i am starving?

do u all think that if i do a re-feed, for maybe 1 day, that i could give my body a little recharge, and maybe it would help me start losing weight again?

and do u think i should repeat it, every time the loss stops?

also, i find the ketogenic way of eating, if i was trying to calculate it with regular foods (right now, at least what i 'eat' every day is fixed - i know how many calories are in the 2 scoops protein, and coconut oil every day), it would be too complicated for me -

but i am trying to think of how i can lose weight the fastest because, though i know it might slow down ...like everyone else trying to lose weight, i don't want it to lol

i am under really a lot of pressure to lose weight

i was wondering if "low carb high fat" LCHF would be the fastest way,

and if u all think it would, can someone please maybe give me a sample 1 day LCHF meal plan, that maybe i can repeat? ...like, maybe, very "egg-intensive," and mayo?

i'm doing the best i can, and, really appreciate the wisdom of the seasoned members who've been thru it all..........

again please remember, i know that the way i've been losing is NOT the right way, and it's NOT by choice - im afraid im going to get scolded...

please believe me, as soon as i both lose the weight and can afford food consistently, i am going to eat solid, nutritious food!

writing this post has been, as much for "therapy" as it has been for getting weight loss help ...thank you all~

i'm sorry i wrote so much, thank you for reading!

blu~
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, May-01-15, 09:46

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 264/158/125 Female 64inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

I don't know if a re-feed would help. BUT I do know that a diet of solid nutritious food will eventually get you to your weightloss goal.

So step 1 and the main priority would be finding a way to get yourself into a situation that allows you to be able to afford food.

Step 2 - Once you've reached a situation of self-sufficiency, then you focus on weightloss goals through healthy eating.

There are a lot of programs and resources out there to help you get in a better situation. Find and reach out to them.
You can't tackle everything at once, but you can start taking steps to improve your situation.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, May-01-15, 13:49
Registered Member

BF:

thank you, but... have u ever tried to get on such programs? sadly, they're not an option for everyone, and (though i could certainly be misinformed about the resources) i don't think they would be able to help me... (and, even if they could, i think it takes time to get on them... i don't think i have that kind of time)

anywho, thoughts still welcome from anyone on the re-feed or how i can improve my weight loss? best regards
  #4   ^
Old Fri, May-01-15, 14:03

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

I don't understand how you can afford protein powder and coconut oil and you can't afford a dozen eggs.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, May-01-15, 14:32
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I'm confused. Protein powder, coconut oil... neither are inexpensive. How is it more affordable than buying chicken legs and eggs and stuff like that?

If you're that poor, can you go to a food pantry? Can you apply for food stamps?

How do you do a refeed if you're too poor to buy actual food?

I'm having a hard time making sense of your story.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, May-01-15, 14:57
Registered Member

BF:

i don't really want to have to explain this, but i don't want it to look like i ran away or something -

i bought (past tense) the protein powder (and coconut oil) in bulk, and what i had has lasted me so far 8 months, and i still have a lot left before i run out.

also, if i was buying again, because i would buy them in bulk it would be a one time expense, yes, but then i'd be surviving on pennies a day, for a long time.

regarding eggs, yes eggs are usually cheap, but i don't have access to food shopping ...and, if i was eating solid food, if i was eating just eggs, without also eating at least veggies, i'd - trying to be tactful - run into some (digestive) problems...

a re-feed is just one meal (i found that it did help me one time, but i was just nervous to do it again), and i didn't even say i would be paying for it - occasionally i can get some leftovers from someone (but _they_ are carby - the kind of stuff that, subsisting on all these years got me into my weight mess in the first place, so can't do that all the time).

i hope this addresses the questions asked...i was being truthful, and am doing the best i can in my individual situation.

it is okay if no one else answers, due to being at a loss, i understand. wishing you all the best
  #7   ^
Old Fri, May-01-15, 15:06
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I think your concern should be nourishing yourself properly, not trying to lose weight. If that means you need to eat some carbs, then so be it.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, May-13-15, 05:29

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

There seem to be some inconsistencies here. First you ask what a real food ketogenic diet might look like, ask if it could be done with eggs and mayo. Then later you say, eggs wouldn't really be an option, you don't have access to shopping. Also, when somebody points out that protein powder and coconut oil aren't cheap, you say yes, but you already had lots stocked up, so that wasn't a new expense. But then go on to say that if you buy more of these in the future, they will be a one-up expense. Which doesn't really work for me, because if you took the money you were going to spend on coconut oil and protein powder, and spent it on tuna and mayonaisse--it still wouldn't be the best of diets, but it would be more nutritionally complete than a diet of protein powder and coconut oil. And per calorie and per gram of protein, it probably wouldn't be more expensive, at least, last time I checked protein powder prices vs. tuna, the tuna protein compared well on price.

It seems to me like you're of two minds here, you know this plan isn't sustainable, but at the same time you're trying to find reasons why it's your only option. It isn't, you have to get your head around that.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, May-13-15, 15:54
Registered Member

BF:

excuse me. i'm not wanting to be rude, but i have tried to respond to peoples' picking-questions --even though i was under no obligation to, and this has become such a stress--

i, foolishly, wrote a post, _partially, venting_ about something i'm going thru right now, and that it has stopped/slowed my weight loss -

i mostly was interested in whether having a one-off meal once in a while (on food which i'd accumulate from sources that are...not really anyone's business) would help re-start my weight loss,

(but after this experience, i regret asking--)

and i merely _mentioned_ whether, as - just an idea i was throwing out - eggs and mayo (as a TEMPORARY phase) might help give a little boost as compared to just the protein powder

...and as far as i know, i canNOT get tuna for anywhere near what i pay for MY protein powder -

and by the way, i shouldn't have had to (and shouldn't have bothered to.) explain that i already had the protein powder (& coconut oil) OR that when i would have to buy them, it wouldn't be that expensive -

and what's your problem if i had to spend, ONE TIME, a moderate amount of money, for a bulk supply of these items which would then be as a result extremely cheap over time?

- tuna, while shelf stable, i probably couldn't live on exclusively, because of mercury content. u know, everybody has their own reasons why something is good for their needs or not...

the _only_ issue on which i am of two minds on, is that

_eating anything that could slow my weight loss, is not worth it_

...and as for where u said one of my reasons "doesn't work for u" ...um, it doesn't have to work for U.

whether u agree or disagree with whatever i've said now... i don't care...

anything i say, someone's going to find _some_ problem with it -

some people here are like INTERROGATORS, and seem to get enjoyment out of trying to pick apart a person's story, as though they're going to catch a criminal!

please leave me alone, and do something more rewarding with your time, than trying to find holes in my "story."
  #10   ^
Old Wed, May-13-15, 18:33
Registered Member

Plan: LC/Atkins/Paleo blend
Stats: 218/207/160 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 19%

People's picking questions are just general concern for your well being based on what you wrote which was quite limited and confusing because of things you wrote and things you omitted. And people here don't want to give bad recommendations to someone. I don't think it's anyone treating you like a criminal but you feel that way. I think it's people who are reading the way you have been eating or not eating and are genuinely concerned for that and are trying to steer you toward bettering eating.

In my short time here I come across some posts from people doing some scary things with their diet or who had already done things that seemed to really screw them up by their own admission. And people responded no differently to them or you. They were concerned for the person and tried to give them the best recommendations possible. Recommending someone buy some eggs is not a bad idea if it seems they are starving and perhaps trying to do some kind of extreme diet.

Also, these sort of posts are always riddled with desperation to get weight off using extreme measures and then resulting in unpleasant outcomes. I'm new and I've seen them so I can only imagine how many these veterans of this forum have. I really don't think they are doing anything more than trying to help. Of course they will ask questions because they don't want to advise someone to eat in a way that is dangerous for their health.

If you are in the states perhaps you could apply for food stamps? I don't know why you cannot get to a store but in the states there are meals on wheels type programs too. Choosing to starve over eating carbs doesn't seem like the best idea. That's all people are really pointing out. I don't think they are judging but rather quite concerned and a bit confused about your situation.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jun-23-15, 17:58
Registered Member

Plan: 000
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 000
BF:000
Progress: 13%

okay, so I am extremely new to the forums (just registered very early this morning) so I'm far from being 'seasoned' but I keep reading your story and quite honestly, and I'm in no way saying this to be rude or offend you or ANYONE...but it seems to me that you have passed that fine line between wanting/needing to lose weight and obsessing over both your weight and foods.

I understand that your saying your 'weight loss' is not by choice, and often times, people with certain eating disorders, have very little and/or no control. It simply becomes habit..They just can't help their behavior toward food even though, like yourself, they know it's not a healthy approach.
Again, I'm not saying you have any disorder' per say, but just from reading your messages, it certainly raises a lot of red flags.

Again...please do not take offense to this. I'm certainly not trying to lecture you or belittle you in any way and I'm fairly certain that you probably already know there is a deeper problem going on without anyone pointing it out to you.

Here is another concern...
I'm not quite sure how long you have been in this 'starvation' mode, but honestly, you may have reached a point where your body simply cannot process any type of REAL foods, at least not large amounts.
Trying to 'eat' solid foods, after going without for a long period of time, has repercussions of its own.
You may very well need some type of professional care to help your body adjust to eating real foods again.

As far as buying food, at least here in the U.S, you DO have options...if not food stamps, just about all churches have some sort of food pantry available for those who cannot afford food. There is never an obligation to use these services....you don't have to go joining the church or anything. There are also food banks and food kitchens available that cater to low income and/or the homeless.
There are also many FREE support groups that you can attend so that you can address the issues you are having further. A lot of these in-person groups can offer different services and resources in your area, again, many of which are free of charge.

Good luck to you hun,
I really do with you the very best..
(((HUGS)))