Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-26-02, 07:56
Registered Member

Plan: basically still on induction
Stats: 152/155/140
BF:
Progress: -25%
Default sugar

I need some help here. My husband and I spent the weekend in the home of a dear friend and she mentioned several times that she was worried about my eating no sugar! After we returned home, my husband had to call about something and she proceeded to tell him that a person has to have a certain amount of sugar in their diet. I have been having headaches and she aluded to them. My husband is not supportive of the way of eating for me (Atkins) and now is beginning to really worry and nag me.
This is my first question and or comment on this page. I am so happy I have found you.
L Fesler
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Mar-26-02, 09:16
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

I really can't find a nice way of saying this Your friend is very ignorant about this issue.

To my knowledge, even the sugar association, the main sugar lobby, never made such a claim. They simply try to soften the blows, each time a study points to the danger of sugar.

Here's an interesting article:

http://www.lowcarb.ca/articles/article155a.html

Wa'il
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Mar-26-02, 10:48
Registered Member

Plan: basically still on induction
Stats: 152/155/140
BF:
Progress: -25%
Default SUGAR

Hello Tamarian, Thanks for being so prompt. The article was wonderful. I knew my friend was very wrong. I just have problems with friends sabotaging (spell) my efforts to change my way of eating while they and my husband also, will not read the articles I give them to read. They also do not listen to my explanations......Can't change husbands. (I like most things about him very much and I love the man!) My friend has dieted all of her life and is the lightest I have seen her. She is special to me and I think I will do all I can to preserve our relationship.
Tamarian, Canada is a long way from Arkansas but isn't it great to be able to support each other from so far away? Thanks! I am trying to learn all the rules about communicating on this forum......
L
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jul-03-02, 13:24
Registered Member

Plan: Sugar Busters
Stats: 255/204/140
BF:
Progress: 44%

In my mind anything you can't grow and eat straight from the dirt (you know what I mean) isn't something your body "needs".
Sugar is proccesed.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jul-11-02, 08:45

Plan: Sugar Busters!
Stats: 182/178/140
BF:26%
Progress: 10%
Cool You ARE allowed Sugar on the diet

Please remember that you are allowed sugar on the Sugar Busters! diet. It just dosen't allow as much as we're all used to eating.

I started the diet 2 days ago, and for dinner the first night I made Chicken and Cheese Enchiladas from the Sugar Busters! Cookbook. The tomato sauce was the only ingrediant that had sugar (2g per serving), but they were delicious! We also had sugar free re-fried beans. For breakfast I've been making 3-egg ham and cheese omlets, and chicken salads with Bleu Cheese dressing for lunch. Last night we had hamburgers on wheat buns, and spinach, and a snack of ww crackers with melted cheese. I keep thinking to myself what diet could possibly allow these kinds of foods! If this is a diet, then I'm sticking to it! Not to mention I've lost 5lbs already!

Another diet I know that works is the Scan Diet, but unfortunately it gets old drinking 5 shakes, and nothing but fruit and veggies all day. It also keeps you full and satisfied, and you won't get junk food cravings. Not to mention, it's very expensive, so I'm sticking with SB!!
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jul-12-02, 14:00
Registered Member

BF:

I agree with you. The food is great, I'm not hungry and I'm not craving anything but oranges!
I can see myself eating like this the rest of my life.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jul-12-02, 14:32

Plan: Sugar Busters!
Stats: 182/178/140
BF:26%
Progress: 10%
Talking Wheat Pizza Dough

Tonight I made mini-pizzas for my husband and I They were like those mini-pizzas from Pizza Hut, but a little bigger in size. I used the WW Pizza Crust (from Wild Oats Supermarket), low-sugar tomato sauce, LOTS of cheese, ham, turkey bacon, turkey pepperoni, green peppers, onions, and mushrooms. I figured since neither of us has had our starch carbs today, the pizzas would be fine. I also found some good wheat pizza dough recipes at http://www.vegweb.com, including the following. Hope you enjoy!!

Ingredients:

4 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup lukewarm water
1 teaspoon salt
1 package yeast
2 teaspoons sugar substitute
3 tablespoons olive oil

Directions:

Mix flour, sugar, and salt together. Dissolve yeast in water and add to flour mixture. Stir until dough has absorbed all water then add olive oil. Mix until dough is not sticky, adding water or flour as necessary (should not need much of either using the above amounts). Knead the dough for 8 to 10 minutes then place in a covered bowl in a warm draft free area for 30 minutes or until dough has doubled in size. Then knead for 2 or 3 more minutes and let rise 20 minutes more.

Now roll the dough out. The above recipe should make enough crust for one 16" deep dish pizza or two 16" regular pizzas. Either way, roll out two 16" crusts. For deep dish, put the first one in the pan, then add tomato sauce, veggies, and tons of soy cheese. Then place your second crust over this and pinch the two crusts together. Add a top layer of tomato sauce and another ton of soy cheese. Now cook in a hot oven ( 500 degrees or more) for 20-30 minutes
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jul-12-02, 21:19
Registered Member

BF:
Talking

I'm defiantly trying this because pizza is my downfall.
Thanks!
Oh the stuffed peppers recipe from the book is really great too.

Cheryl
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jul-13-02, 13:40
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Please remember that you are allowed sugar on the Sugar Busters! diet. It just dosen't allow as much as we're all used to eating.

Absolutely true. To prevent any further confusion, it looks like the poster who started this thread placed it in the wrong forum. It should have been in the Atkins Forum instead because she is following Atkins, and sugar is not allowed at all with this plan.

Karen