Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Wed, May-31-06, 11:32

Plan: shangri-la/lowcarb
Stats: 185/173/145 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 30%

I am in dieters hell we have 5 members of the family with Birthdays in a two week period and you know what that means "PARTIES" Yikes I still lost a pound last week bringing it to 6# in 3 weeks.
Pat S.
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Sun, Jul-02-06, 23:01

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 198/179/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Is anyone having success with Shangri-La diet? I'd love to hear.
  #63   ^
Old Sun, Jul-16-06, 11:58

BF:

santa barb,
I have had great success with the diet it works for me. I am useing Extra Light Olive Oil my appetite is half what is usually is and I have lost 8 pounds since 5/10. That isn't easy for a 64 year old so if I can do it anyone can.
Pat S.
  #64   ^
Old Sun, Jul-16-06, 14:43
Registered Member

Plan: Carbs not
Stats: 159/124/130 Female 67 inches
BF:Playing the field
Progress: 121%

I've read this entire thread and find it very interesting. I may pick up the book just for the read, and to add it to my collection. Appreciate all the posts here. Congratulations, Pat S, on finding a plan that works!
  #65   ^
Old Sun, Jul-16-06, 15:16

BF:

Hair on Fire yikes that sounds like it hurts
I have to say something else I didn't add I eat lowcarb very seldom do I blow it and eat dessert or potatoes. I have been in at least a trace of ketosis all the time.
I love the loss of appetite and no carb cravings I think the Extra Light Olive Oil takes care of this as well as taking care of the appetite.
The strangest thing is I can look at food without any desire to eat something I have never experienced before.
Pat S.
  #66   ^
Old Sun, Jul-16-06, 16:17
Registered Member

Plan: Carbs not
Stats: 159/124/130 Female 67 inches
BF:Playing the field
Progress: 121%

Pat, I am doing meat/egg and have the same sensations you are experiencing. It must be the fat in the olive oil. Really, my head blew off (!) when I started this plan because I couldn't believe I could go an entire day without thinking about food and yet still have energy to work out and do everything I needed to do, without getting weakness or hunger.

I'm intrigued by the plan you are on and will get the book.
  #67   ^
Old Wed, Oct-04-06, 17:13

Plan: Shangri-La Diet
Stats: 316/217.5/154 Female 67"
BF:60/36/24
Progress: 61%

I had lost my focus for a couple of years. I was so sick and tired of having to watch everything. I ended up gaining a lot of weight back.

I recently started the Shangri-La Diet. I have lost over 5 pounds. More important, I have focus again.

I take 1T of ELOO in the morning before leaving the house. I swim. I have something, usually a small, homemade smoothie for B-fast. I take another T of ELOO at 11am. Just after 12, I have lunch. Recently, it's been a can of soup or a salad or something. Before, it would have been 2 hot dogs and fries, or soup and other stuff. When I get home, I have been havin 1T of refined walnut oil. Dinner portions are much smaller. Before bedtime, I try to take one more T of oil, avocado.

The thinking of the diet is to consume at least 2T of flavorless oil a day, up to two more T if you need to. I put the oil in a small container with some cold water and drink it down with an additional water chaser.

I eat less and crave less too. I consider this a godsend, as my orthopedic doctor really wanted me to have lap-band surgery to get control of my weight so I could get my knees replaced.

I'm glad it works. I don't really care why it works; it just does.

One day before SLD, I checked my B-fast & lunch calories and I was close to 2000 (that was w-out dinner). And, I thought I was really improving my eating that day. Now, I think I may get 300-500 calories for lunch and maybe 300 for B-fast (not including the calories from the oil) (120 per T)
  #68   ^
Old Thu, Oct-05-06, 11:35

BF:

I thought I would check in I have had a fractured elbow so have been out of the loop.
I did the same thing as kokle I took sometime off and gained weight Now I feel so comfortable with SLD I am not doing anything but taking my ELOO twice a day and stop eating when I am full and have lost 12 pounds since May. I love this reduced appetite.
Hope everyone on the diet is having a good time.
Pat S.
  #69   ^
Old Tue, Oct-10-06, 20:59

I am finding the appetite suppresion amazing. I too am at a point in my like where the weight wants to go up instead of down. With the SLD, I can be in control and focused again.

I'm still pretty new at this so I don't have much in the way of results yet. Still holding at 6 pounds lost.
  #70   ^
Old Fri, Oct-13-06, 07:55

Two weeks have passed and I am 307.2 as of yesterday. That makes it 8.8 pounds for the two weeks.
  #71   ^
Old Fri, Oct-13-06, 09:00

BF:

That's great kokle.
Pat S.
  #72   ^
Old Fri, Oct-20-06, 04:04

Another week has passed. I am at 14 pounds lost as of this morning. This week, I had two days were I barely ate anything due to getting sick earlier in the day.
  #73   ^
Old Sun, Feb-18-07, 09:20
Bouncy!

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 297/173.3/150 Female 5'7" (top weight 340)
BF:41%/31%/??%
Progress: 84%

I've been trying this Shangri-la thing for the past week. I'm not entirely convinced it isn't a complete placebo effect only, but I do seem to be getting some appetite suppression and lessening of cravings/desire to snack. I started it coming off a carb-up weekend (nice way to put falling off the low-carb wagon for a couple of days), so much of the weight I lost was water weight, but I think I lost one or two real pounds this week. I'm very encouraged.
  #74   ^
Old Sun, Sep-23-07, 19:01
Registered Member

Plan: Wingin' it.
Stats: 257/240.0/130 Female 65 inches
BF:yes!
Progress: 13%
Smile Shangri-la diet

I read about the Shangri-la diet on the Freakonomics website and downloaded the PDF that contains Seth's description of what he did, how he felt and why he thinks he felt it. No, I haven't read the book.
I thought that it might be a good appetite suppression aid because it satisfies hunger without spiking your appetite. I think Seth mentioned even holding his nose to take the oil and so he made sure it WAS absolutely tasteless.
I've been taking swigs of vinegar during the day (before meals) and it doesn't taste any better than the oil would. Could it be that vinegar acts the same - no one ever craves vinegar. No one ever has a craving for oil by itself.
The vinegar has the same effect as metforman (sp?), a drug my doctor recommended. It's just cheaper. I read about it when I read about studies done by Carol Johnston at Arizona State, Mesa. The vinegar increases insulin sensitivity; losing a few pounds was just a side effect.
  #75   ^
Old Mon, Nov-15-10, 10:02
Don't dream it be it

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 292.4/272.0/165 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 16%

Bumping this thread up. I'm trying adding oil in the morning and the afternoon along with Atkins induction.
Starting weight 251.6.

So far I've noticed that when I am done eating, I am really full and don't even think about food for hours afterwards.

Beth