Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Sun, Jul-15-07, 07:01

Plan: Protein Power/Paleo
Stats: 188.5/169.5/145 Female 5 ft. 9 in.
BF:way/too/much!
Progress: 44%

Quote:
I think I ate all the way to and from the school when I brought my daughter to orientation!! It's a very stressful time!!

I hope you like PP. It's the best as far as I'm concerned. Give me meat and a few veggies and I'm happy!!

It's funny that you can stop in the gas station and buy those M&M's without a second thought and not know why you're doing something against your beliefs! My mother will be dying in the next week or so and that adds to the stress. I hate to lose them both within a month! Although, God willing, DD will come back! I'm actually doing pretty well considering the stress I'm under.

I read a little of PP last night, and I tell ya, I just wish I could tune out all the other carbage and just eat a little meat here and there and be lean and strong.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Sun, Jul-15-07, 09:56

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 190/169/140 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

Don't be too hard on yourself if you have trouble staying away from the carbage during a super-stressful time in your life. Remember that LC (low carb) is a WOL (way of life), not just another "diet". If now isn't the right time to make these changes, then don't beat yourself up.

Just do the best you can with the resources (emotional, etc) that you have right now, and try not to compare yourself with others on the forum. We all lose weight at different rates, and sometimes that rate is "zero" or "less than zero."
  #33   ^
Old Mon, Jul-16-07, 14:54
Taking MY Turn

Plan: Intuitive Eating
Stats: 240/220.8/190 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 38%

That's great advice, Ruth. I believe in doing the best we can and forgiving ourselves, because when we do, we succeed in the long run.

Just to let you know, Sara, I've definitely gone through "ups and downs" with "carbage" and most recently have been hitting some downs a LOT more often. I'd love to excuse myself because I'm pregnant (which is when I've had the most issues)...and it's true the hormones could be playing a part...but the bottom line is we all break down. The key is how we live overall. As Ruth says, it's a WOL. So you have to think of the average. Everytime I make bad choices (just like now, while I'm dealing with water bloat from a weekend of camping and indulgence) I just keep "starting over" with good foods and let my body and my mind forgive me.

Right now I'm concentrating on lots of water and good sources of protein and I'm hoping that this week I'll get back on track again. Hang in there!
  #34   ^
Old Mon, Jul-16-07, 16:32

Thanks for the support, Lisa and Ruth. I'm doing my best. One thing that helps is that I've discovered IF. I never used to be able to go without eating, or I would make sure to eat if I knew I'd be out for a long time. Now, I go ahead and skip the meal and I know I'll survive. More often than not, I just have coffee for breakfast and that keeps my weight in check unless I really gorge on carbs.

I'm also not beating myself up (not too often, only after a really bad episode!) because life is too short to spend dieting. I'm happier with my figure than I have ever been, even though I'm 25 lbs. over my goal, because I'm healthy and strong and I've given birth to 6 kids. So, it's sort of okay that I look the way I do. As I said, I'd really like it if I could just eat like a cavewoman and be lean and strong, but I'll be content with where I am now and try to get through this miserable phase of my life without adding extra pressure!

But I do have another question: What is a good multi-vitamin that Dr. Mike would approve? Mine has a lot of iron and I guess I need to stop that. I just don't have time to do the research right now.
  #35   ^
Old Mon, Jul-16-07, 16:39

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaSara6
My mother will be dying in the next week or so and that adds to the stress.

I'm so sorry to hear this Sara!!

I lost my dad right before DD was born and my mom back in 1995. Both had cancer. It's hard and there's little that can be done to make it easier. I'll keep you, and her, in my thoughts and prayers.
  #36   ^
Old Tue, Jul-17-07, 05:23

Thanks, Cindy. I'm too young for this---and I guess you were too when it happened. I expected to have her around for a lot more years. But I'm going out to be with her and my sister at the end of the week, so maybe that will help in the long run.
  #37   ^
Old Tue, Jul-17-07, 09:01

BF:

Are you ever "old enough" to lose somebody you love? I think everybody who loses a parent feels about 12yo when it happens, whether they're 12 or 70.
  #38   ^
Old Tue, Jul-17-07, 12:49
Taking MY Turn

Plan: Intuitive Eating
Stats: 240/220.8/190 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 38%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthla
Are you ever "old enough" to lose somebody you love?

So very true. Sara, my thoughts and prayers are with you. I lost my Dad (well, he's always in my heart, but you know what I mean) nearly 10 years ago. (As a matter of fact, my baby is due to be born close to the 10th anniversary of his passing...interesting "circle of life" moment there.) I still have my Mom, but she's moved in with us and I'm caring for her (our roles are totally reversed and I'm the Mom now). At 37 (and 27) many people have said I'm too young for such roles, but that is simply how life worked. But no matter the age, and no matter if it's "expected" or "unexpected"...you can still never truly be prepared. Just love and pray (or meditate or whatever you may do) for strength and lean on friends and loved ones.

Treat yourself well, forgive yourself if sugar passes your lips, make sure you stay as healthy as you can because the stress does a number on your body and do take care. <hugs>
  #39   ^
Old Wed, Jul-25-07, 08:58

BF:

So, how has everybody been?

I'm pretty proud of myself last night. DD1 came home from camp, plus we had a fast day yesterday (the 9th of Av, in commemoration of the destruction of the Holy Temple.) So, after the fast, she requested her favorite food: pasta primavera.

I made the sauce with cream, not milk, and only used 1 TBSP of flour in the whole thing. Then I made zuccini pasta for myself (cut zuccini into strips with veggie peeler) and I limited myself to one strand of the whole wheat pasta.

I nearly had a whole bowl of pasta after finishing up my zuchini pasta with other veggies added, but I decided to have some canned fish with the cream sauce instead.