Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Nov-01-10, 19:28
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%
Default Bananas make my mouth Itch

Why, bananas make my mouth itch?
Quote:
Like banana peels, banana fruit contains a wide variety of antinutrients, including saponins, tannins, oxalate, phytate and cyanide. However, for the most part the concentrations of these compounds are low enough that they pose little or no health risks. The single exception is - once again - saponins. The average saponin content in six varieties of bananas and plantains was reported to be 2.4%, which is close to the safe upper limit of 3.0%.
http://forum.dirtycarnivore.com/ind...age;topic=689.0
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Nov-01-10, 19:36
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Well, as bananas are pretty high carb - about 22 carbs for a medium sized one - I'm not sure why you'd want to even try eating them.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Nov-01-10, 19:40

Plan: Primal-ish
Stats: 212/181/150 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 50%

If bananas make your mouth itch, it could be oral allergy syndrome .
Quote:
Oral Allergy Syndrome is a term used to describe itchy or scratchy mouth symptoms caused by raw fruits or vegetables in people who also have hay fever. Symptoms are typically limited to the mouth. This reaction is caused by an allergic response to the pollen that crosses over to similar proteins in the foods. Most people affected by oral allergy syndrome can eat cooked fruits or vegetables because the proteins are sensitive to heating. The condition is also known as pollen-food syndrome.
More at link. I get it with raw apples.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Nov-01-10, 20:11
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Or perhaps you're developing a latex allergy.

Quote:
A typical story in a nurse (based on accounts from real nurses with this problem) might be that she has noticed an itchy rash of her hands on wearing latex gloves, and that she has had severe swelling in and around the mouth after eating bananas or food which contained banana. The hand rash is itchy and comes on within minutes or hours, and if sufficiently marked will show the features of urticaria (hives, nettlerash). Nurses have often regarded the hand rash as trivial and have not realised that it has any connection with the fact that when they eat bananas or some other foods they get swellings or even anaphylactic collapse.

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~aair/latex.htm
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Nov-02-10, 10:10
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Interesting ... I don't or seldom eat them anymore, but I used to have two a day. I also had more problems with hives and allergies back then, than I do now eating low-carb.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Nov-02-10, 10:40

Plan: Primal-ish
Stats: 212/181/150 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 50%

My seasonal allergies are all but gone on low carb.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Nov-02-10, 11:38
Registered Member

Plan: keto
Stats: 140/135/110 Female 5 ft 3 in
BF:
Progress: 17%

i find that it's when i'd take a long break from eating them, that first one would make my throat/mouth itch. the next one would be fine though. this was before my low carb days.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Nov-03-10, 10:26
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 138/129/115 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress:

Did you get rashes or redness on your skin or just on your mouth when eating a banana? It could be chemical residue on the skin from possible pesticides or fertilizers or some chemicals to preserve the banana while shipping. Or you could have a food allergy to bananas. Are you allergic to any other foods or materials?