Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Aug-11-05, 04:20

Plan: cut out carbs
Stats: 299.2/205.5/168 Female 173cm
BF:41%
Progress: 71%
Default metformin not workin now

i was orignally on 500mg 3 times daily, lost 22poudns in 4months, but then the GYN put me up on 850mg twice a day, but since then iv not lost any more weight, its been 2months iv been on the new one, is it stil takin time to work or is it posible its other changes in my life style that i havent lost any more?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Aug-11-05, 07:57
Registered Member

Plan: Adkins
Stats: 242/211/160 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 38%

I have been on met for about 18 months or so at 1000 mg a day.....I lost weight right away when I started taking (who wouldn't after staying in the restroom all day), and a few months later he upped my dosage to 2000 mg a day. I had lost about 20 pounds or in those few months.......then it just kinda stopped. I wasn't do anything different then I was when I started taking the met (I was not activly low carbing at the time), and the weight loss just stopped. I do not think that the Met quit working, because my PCOS symptoms didn't increase when the weight loss stopped. I was still having regular cycles, even got pregnant, but I just didn't lose anymore weight......until I started low carbing.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Aug-11-05, 11:52

so ur sayin that the low dose worked all by itself, but to activate the higher dosage i have to amend my diet even more? and then once u did this did it then start to lose weight? and at the same pace or even quicker/slower?
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Aug-17-05, 09:30
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnikx
so ur sayin that the low dose worked all by itself, but to activate the higher dosage i have to amend my diet even more? and then once u did this did it then start to lose weight? and at the same pace or even quicker/slower?

Not exactly. The low dose did work all by itself. I had not had a period in over a year and a half. Within 6 weeks of being on Met at 1000 mg a day, I had me first period, no BC pills or anything, just MET. I lost about 20 pounds or so, then he upped my dosage to 2000 mg, I lost a few more pounds like maybe 6, but that is it. He told me at the time that I could expect to lose some weight, but not a whole bunch. At that time he recomended that I change my lifestyle to a low carb one. But at the time I didn't. I didn't gain the weight back, but I didn't lose anymore. I still had my cycle regularly, and got pregant, and almost all of my other symtoms stayed away, as long as I stayed on Met. But I have to say, low carbing for me is way better then MET. I feel better, I look better, everything is better. I am still taking MET, but I lowered my dosage to about 1500 mg per day instead of 2000 mg, because I am low carbing. I have lost 16 pounds in the last month because of the low carbing. I would advise not to expect to lose weight just because of MET, most people do lose a few pounds, but it is not a good substitue for healthy eating.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Aug-18-05, 08:59

so its pos that i may be beter off on a lower dosage? cause i herd that they hav to find the rite dose for u. i hav been 126k for weeks but then on wed i woke up weighed my self and was 123 then i used a dif set of scales and i was 121k so i guess i was on a stall or something
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Aug-18-05, 11:35
Registered Member

BF:

I know that I had a positive reaction to the lowest dosage, but the doc decided to move up to the highest dosage. He even told me that the only reason he wanted to put me on the higher dosage wa to see if the concept of "more is better" would work for me. but I was fine on the lower dosage. But the less you weigh the less insulin resistent you are going to be, so the less medicine you need to be on. My ultimate goal is to get to a low enough weight that I don't have to take the metformin at all. But the low carb essentially does the same thing, in that it corrects the insulin resistence as well. So, in my humble opinion, I would rather not take a bunch of pills if I can just watch what I eat and get the same results. So the lower dosage and a better diet is what I am personally aiming for. And it seems to be working for me, I have lost 16 pounds in the last 3.5 weeks.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Aug-18-05, 11:44

thats alot, are u doin much exercise for that loss?
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Aug-18-05, 12:02
Don't Call Me Sugar

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 293/287/230 Female 65 inches
BF: :^( :^| :^)
Progress: 10%

I had the same thing - when I started metformin, I suddenly lost 20 pounds. Other than that one time, it has not had any effect on my weight. It's not a weight-loss pill, after all - it is still "working," but it's not really helping you to lose weight any more. A dosage change did not make any difference for me.

But metformin is still good for you if you have PCOS!

I tried low-carbing without metformin, and I had regular periods. So I agree with seashell, that low-carbing is really, really helpful for PCOS.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Aug-18-05, 13:29

but i had regular periods just before takin metformin due to diannette so if im not losin much weight on the higher dosage one and its not really doin much else i should look in to goin back on the lower one?
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Aug-18-05, 13:30
Registered Member

BF:

I have not started exercising as of yet. I walk the dog, that is about it. I did buy a few things to start toying around with, but I haven't found the time to try them out yet (always an excuse to not do something huh?). But my weight loss is going very well.I am very pleased with how I feel and how much better I look. I am going to continue my Met until my doc says it is okay to stop, which probably won't be until I reach 145 or less.I think that is one of the things that is motivating me so much this time around. I don't wanna take those pills anymore. I have been taking 2-4 pils a day for 18 months........at 37.50 to 49.00 bucks a months..I don't think I even wanna add that up.

Just as a note - I have regular periods with met, but I noticed that this period with lowcarbing was way better then the ones I have been having. It was lighter, and I had no cramps, and I even got warnings signs this time, also, no major bloating or weight gain, unlike the "no low carb" cycles. And it was only 30 days instead of my average 36-38. YEAH!!!
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Aug-18-05, 13:34

in the uk we get free med if on social security benefits ie the sick. i just bought a year gold membership at the gym, originally £385 but coz im on benefits i got it for £270 and only hav to go twice a week to get my moneys worth but aim for 3-5 a week and its my 1st week this week after 30sessions of supported trainin and teachin of the gym so il hav to see if i lose much more, i beter or it will be money well wasted
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Aug-18-05, 13:48
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnikx
but i had regular periods just before takin metformin due to diannette so if im not losin much weight on the higher dosage one and its not really doin much else i should look in to goin back on the lower one?

I would look at the BC pill (Dianette as the cause of not losing as much, if you are still taking it). After my miscarriage, they put me on the pill, and I gained 15 pounds in Two cycles, and I was still taking the met at the 2000 mg per day level.

This is simply my opinion. But I will never take the pill again. All it does is mask the hormonal problems that some women with PCOS has. For me, BC pills is a wrong choice. It forces my body to a cycle that is not natural for it. When I was talking about having a regular cycle, I was referring to one without the pill. Before the met, I was not having a cycle at all, and was not on the pill. After met corrected the insulin resistence, I started having my cycle, without the forcefulness of the pill. I was doing naturally on my own. But that is my own opinion. And for my own body, I will never take BC again.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Aug-18-05, 13:53
WONJ#3

Plan: 12 steps
Stats: 238/210/145 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 30%

Ya know what! I had stopped my Metformin and I weighed myself and I had not lost one single lb! I totally forgot about taking it.

After reading this thread I'm very reassured that I need to be taking it. I took one this morning and will have one at lunch and one at dinner.

How could I forget about the metformin?!?!?
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Aug-18-05, 16:07
Don't Call Me Sugar

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 293/287/230 Female 65 inches
BF: :^( :^| :^)
Progress: 10%

Quote:

xnikx, that's beyond me. It's a question for your doctor, I think. You could try some of the PCOS books for guidance. I will say, I don't think there's really anything bad that happens if you take more metformin than you need. It's a pretty safe drug that people have been taking for decades.
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Aug-20-05, 13:37

no im not on diannette any more, i was only put on it to see if it would help me regulate my hormones and on it i lost weight wich was enough proof for my doc to take me off that and to go on metformin knowin that i would do well on it if i lost what i did just from the diannette

well i think i was just on a stall cause i was 126k for weeks and weeks and then i weighed myself on tues night in my pjs and i was 126k still then i weighed my slf b4 the gym wed mornnin wearin same thing and i was 124k :O so i lost 2k over night, then i weighed my self the next day and i was 123k, and again this mornin and im 122k so i guess my stall is speedin up now