Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jan-30-12, 16:22

Plan: Low carb high protein
Stats: 160/180/155 Female 5 ft 7 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default Hormonal imbalance/ high cortisol/ hypothyroidism... ?

Hi, (thought id ask you very insightful folk here for some advice)
I am a 36 year old female. No health issues other than lower back problems. I have never been overweight other than pregnancy and soon after, with following a lean protein/ low glycemic vegetable way of eating, have lost any unwanted weight quickly. Well, that and moderate cardio/ weight training.
In the last 3 years I have put on 25 lbs with no change in eating habits. I have developed insomnia (which I treat with melatonin and val. root) I have increased my walking/ decreased my calories. Nothing gives. I have been stuck at 180 no matter my efforts. I was also diagnosed with dequervains tendonitis 3 years ago, both wrists and have had 3 non successful surgergies to open those cannals, plus a synovectomy. No relief. The scars made keloids and I burn/ ache/ throb 24 hours a day. The throbbing in my wrists just recently has now moved up both forearms, into the shoulders, across my neck and even my eyes burn and sting constantly! Could all of this inflammation + weight gain + inability to lose weight+ insomnia + acne indicate an increase in cortisol and or a hormonal imbalance? I saw my doctor who is an internist and pediatrician and he ACTUALLY laughed in my face. I am seeing on the internet that seems to be the norm. (insert sarcasm) I am not on any meds that would cause weight gain, am taking fish oil, a probiotic and ginger supplement and avoid caffeine to try and combat the inflammation but im not having a lot of luck. My doc ordered a test for RA, a test for lupus, a full metabolic lipid panel, cortisol test (blood not salivia) he says they are outlawing salivia tests ???!! and a few other blood tests including thyroid function. I had my thyroid recently tested out of my own pocket and of course the results were normal but I am symptomatic. My doc would only do the blood test for TSH and F3, F4. He said there was absolutely no correlation between corisol and weight gain (huh?) and that i need to get off the internet. Am I just doomed to feel horrible (and fat) forever and to live with this wicked inflammation or should I see a doc who specializes in adrenal problems? I will get the results of all of the tests back this week. Thank you so much for any insight. Im desperate!
..Oh and this is the report I got from the lab (the test I paid for 2 weeks ago)-

TSH 1.060 (0.450-4.500)
T4 6.5 (4.5-12.0)
T3 33 (24-39)
Free Thyroxine Index 2.1 (1.2- 4.9)

Tracy
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Feb-07-12, 12:32

Plan: Low-Moderate
Stats: 119/134/120 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress:

Hi,

I wasn't even a registered user of this site, until I saw your post. I would ditch that doctor of yours ASAP. Find someone who will listen to you and who knows what they're doing.

High cortisol WILL cause weight gain... as well as muscle wasting, high blood sugar, mood disturbances, osteoporosis, and many other awful things.

I have high, high cortisol (blood and urine). It has interfered with my thyroid function. I have put on 15 lbs in the last 10 months. I was quite slim to begin with and this is very disturbing to me. I am now beginning to suspect that all my repeated low carb dieting is at least partially to blame for this.

If you're going to test thyroid. These are the tests you need (in order of importance): Free T3, Reverse T3, Free T4, TSH.

If your cortisol is high, then your RT3 (Reverse T3) will be high and your FT3 (Free T3) will be low. You TSH may be normal or a little high.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Feb-07-12, 12:34

Plan: Low-Moderate
Stats: 119/134/120 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress:

Your TSH looks good based on the result you posted, but you need to get you Frees tested too.