Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jun-27-07, 21:13

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 190/169/140 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%
Default Thoroughly confused about Protein Intake

OK, I now have both Protein Power and The Protein Power Lifeplan out of the library.

According to PP, I have a lean body weight of 110, with a healthy weight range of 139-150. These numbers make sense to me so I'm pretty sure I did those calculations correctly.

So, with a LBW of 110, I should multiply that by 0.6 to come up with a minimum protein intake of 66 grams per day, or 22 grams per meal. Or maybe I should multiply by 0.7 since I'm overweight- though I'm less than 40% overweight so according to the first book I shouldn't "have to" multiply by the higher number. In any case, that would bring my daily protein intake to 77 grams per day, or 26 grams per meal.

According to the chart in PPLP, I should be getting at least 34 grams per meal, for 102 grams per day!! I don't really understand why the chart in PPLP goes by current body weight, while the calculations in PP are based on LBW. That seems to be the source of the discrepency.

I've been having a hard time eating 102 grams of protein per day. Sure, some days I'm hungrier and will eat more, but on any given day, I've been eating fewer veggies and fiber in my quest to eat all my protein. It's also getting expensive!

So which should I follow? 70ish grams per day or 100ish grams per day?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jun-27-07, 21:56

Plan: Low-carb
Stats: 166/150/132 Female 5'3.5"
BF:31%/ ? /23.5%
Progress: 47%

I use the guideline in PP based on LBM, but shouldn't you do what feels better for you, in terms of energy and weight control?

Cheers--
Terry-24
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jun-28-07, 07:05
Taking MY Turn

Plan: Intuitive Eating
Stats: 240/220.8/190 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 38%

Ruth, I saw your other post but wasn't sure how to answer. For me personally I don't think there are hard and fast rules but rather "guidelines". Is there anything wrong with shooting for somewhere in-between the two depending on how you feel on a given day, how much you've exercised etc?

The fact is, you can't do what you don't want to do or what makes you feel uncomfortable and it won't last. The whole concept of getting sufficient protein for your body is supposed to be a pretty simple concept and it seems to be flustering you. Perhaps in this case you just need to be more cognizant of getting "enough" but not panic if you don't?

And to answer a question from your other post...NO, do NOT substitute cheaper, filler-packed foods for the sake of getting enough protein. For me what I learned most in PPLP (was inspired most to do) was eat WELL and eat comfortably. It's an investment for me. I work hard at the grocery store to find good deals on the best foods possible. And I choose my battles. Fruits and meats are basic, generic and cheap (just got regular chicken legs for $,59 a pound - bonus!) but dairy is organic. Yeah, that's killer, but I only use it in my coffee, so I treat myself. But again, nobody told me I had to do it, I just chose what was important to me.

I can't remember how exactly the Eadeses said it, but I remember specifically them saying how this is a sliding scale approach. You do 25% of what they're suggesting and you'll get that benefit. And if you eat as closely to plan as possible, the percentage of benefit even increases.

Relax and try to enjoy eating well, but stop pressuring yourself on technicalities, it'll only make you crazy and make you resent your WOE, which is FAR worse than getting a little less protein per day, KWIM?

HTH! Hang in there!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jun-28-07, 07:32

BF:

After VERY carefuly re-reading the text in PPLP, it sounds like they still recomend the calculations in PP, but made up this chart to make it easier for those who can't or won't do the calculations. When making the chart, they rounded everything up to ensure that nobody who used the chart fell short.

So, if most people my height and weight need 22g of protein per meal, but a handful might need 28, and they have "27g" and "34g" categories, so they bumped up the whole group into the 34g per meal category.

I'm going back to aiming for 66g of protein daily.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jun-28-07, 07:45

BF:

After VERY carefuly re-reading the text in PPLP, it sounds like they still recomend the calculations in PP, but made up this chart to make it easier for those who can't or won't do the calculations. When making the chart, they rounded everything up to ensure that nobody who used the chart fell short.

So, if most people my height and weight need 22g of protein per meal, but a handful might need 28, and they have "27g" and "34g" categories, so they bumped up the whole group into the 34g per meal category.

I'm going back to aiming for 66g of protein daily.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jun-28-07, 09:37
Taking MY Turn

Plan: Intuitive Eating
Stats: 240/220.8/190 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 38%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthla

BINGO!! I was just coming back here to mention that. It's the classic pro/con of doing a more universal chart for the sake of ease. As long as you know your original calculation, then go with it...and know it's ok to go over that some days when you feel the need/hunger.