Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Success Stories
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

View comments Article tools
50 lbs. lighter
Posted by lyonfysh
Posted Mon, Sep-19-05
Female 66
Plan: Atkins
Stats: 251/196/179
BF:
Progress: 76%
Default 50 lbs. lighter

Hi!

I've had such an overwhelming response on my recent weight loss and questions about "how I did it" that I thought I'd share my story.

Simply put, it's the same information you've heard all along... excercise more & eat less... and for me, that meant joining Curves and eating less carbs. I lost over 50 lbs in one summer.

In the fall of 2003, I was at my highest weight ever. A friend of mine had started a low carb "Atkins-like" diet and started working out at Curves. Within a few weeks I could already see the difference. I was inspired.

I had never even heard of Curves before talking with my friend, but soon thereafter, it seemed like everyone was talking about Curves and they were popping up on every corner... almost like Starbucks!

I joined Curves in December, 2003, and started eating less carbs. I was doing great... for about a month.

Then we got custody of my then 12 year old stepdaughter. Don't take me wrong, that was a GREAT thing. I just had to change my priorities. I stopped going to Curves so I could come straight home from work to be with her. When I stopped exercising, I also stopped eating properly. Funny how those two go hand-in-hand.

After a couple months of working out a schedule and our daughter settling in, I decided to go back to Curves in May of 2004. This is when "it all started to happen!"

I was dedicated to working out at Curves three times a week. I went every Monday, Wednesday and Friday and worked out for 30 minutes each time. I ate a low carb diet. That doesn't mean I didn't eat out or I was deprived. Actually, I eat fast-food at lunch every day! I've learned to eat at almost any restaurant and still enjoy a nice meal. Once a month I would eat whatever I wanted... even dessert. I just made sure that I got right back on track after that ONE meal. I don't do the "shakes" or the diet frozen meals. I've learned to eat less carbs and still eat "real food" with the rest of the family. I think this is a big key to feeling "normal" and not like you are always "dieting."

After one month of Curves and low-carbs, I could feel and see the difference in my body, clothes and even my attitude. I was already much happier and positive. The second month I was buying new clothes because everything I had was too big. It's was such a good feeling and that alone inspired me to keep going.

I had set a goal for myself to lose 50 lbs. I wanted to weigh less than 200 lbs! I wanted to reach my goal by October 1st ...just a date I had chosen for myself. I had charted it out on the calendar and thought that would be very realistic.

We went on vacation in mid-August and I had already told myself I was NOT going to "diet" while I was gone. And I didn't. I took a week off and ate what I wanted (I did go to Curves when I was out of town though). When we came back, I got back on track and lost the rest of my weight.

I'm thrilled to say that at my October weigh-in at Curves, my official weight was one lb. below "my goal weight!" I've exceeded my goal of 50 lbs.

This past month I have "relaxed" and have eaten a little more of the stuff that I normally do not eat when doing the "low-carb" thing. I have not gained any weight. I am enjoying the smaller clothes that I have purchased over the past several weeks. One of my favorite pair of newer jeans no longer even fit me! I guess that's the down side to all of this; finding a really cute outfit and it not fitting within a matter of weeks due to weight LOSS. Wow.. that's a change for me!

I have gone from a size 22/24 to a size 16. My 2X sweat pants have been traded in for some cute gym pants from the "normal-size" section in the department stores. I can shop in Missy's, Juniors, Casual Wear... all the sections other than "Women's Plus Size." It's actually fun to go shopping now!

My goal right now is to continue to loose weight, slowly, over the holidays and then focus on loosing another 15 lbs. I'm gonna take it slow and make sure I keep it off. I will keep the page updated with my progress.

As far as our daughter goes, she too has reaped the benefits of less carbs and healthier meals and lost over 25 lbs. this summer. She has gone from a size 16 to a 12. She looks awesome and like me, even has a better attitude.

And on a plus note, I'm now wearing some of her "old clothes" ... the size 16's !!
Article tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Success Photos
Before
In-Progress
Not uploaded yet
After

by nikkil on Mon, Sep-19-05, 07:07

Congratulations on your wonderful success! It's inspiring to read that somebody has done so well just doing what they're supposed to be doing, no crazy plans or practices

It's wonderful that you've also inspired and helped your daughter get healthier as well.

Continued success!

10 comments [read all comments]