Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Sweet treats
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Sep-05-05, 15:02
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%
Default 5 Minute Chocolate Bundt Cake

I started messing around with the 3-Minute Chocolate Cake at the www.lowcarbfriends.com recipe collection, just because. Made some tweaks and mods, increased the volume, and initiated my brand new silicon bundt cake pan in the microwave!

Besides, I really had to produce my brother's chocolate birthday cake in a HURRY and got a late start, so there wasn't time for the oven . Ended up using a heatproof measuring 2-cupper, a bowl (ok, 2 bowls) and the bundt pan...not bad!

So here's the end result, which I served up with bittersweet chocolate shavings on top, fresh strawberries in the 'hole', and whipped cream on the side.

* Exported from MasterCook *

5-Minute Chocolate Cake

Recipe By : Judi IslandGirl, 'Carbers' Kitchen Counter™
Serving Size : 16
Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :
06-10G -- Cakes, Icings & Pies -- Chocolate -- Muffins
-- Veggie Ovo-Lacto

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 cup Wheat Protein Isolate, Carbers' Kitchen
1 cup ground almonds
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
4 pinches salt
1/2 cup Cocoa Powder, Unsweetened, Dark Euro -- sifted
6 tablespoons Erythritol crystals
3 ounces chocolate chips, Bakers' Semi-Sweet -- 6 tbsp
1 1/2 ounces safflower oil
1 1/2 ounces coconut oil -- or Keto Butta
5 whole large eggs, Born 3
4 teaspoons sweetener, liquid Sugar Twin
3 tablespoons Vanilla Extract, Pure Baker's
1/4 cup Half and Half -- 10% MF Cream

Whisk dry ingredients together in a medium bowl. Melt butter, oil and chocolate chips together (do not boil), stirring til well-blended. Beat eggs, liquid sweetener, vanilla and half-and-half til completly blended, then beat in (drizzling) melted butter/chocolate mixture. Pour egg mixture into a well in the dry mixture, and beat thoroughly til combined.

4-5 minutes in a 1000w microwave, using a silicon bundt pan (knife or toothpick comes out clean).

cool 5 minutes in the pan, then invert onto a rack or heatproof plate.

Source: "original inspiration, GrandmaLee's famous 3-Minute Chocolate Cake on www.lowcarbfriends.com"
Copyright: "© LowCarb FoodExperts Canada ®"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Serving Ideas : whipping cream, fresh strawberries, chocolate shavings

NOTES : 2005-09-02

Whole Recipe: 2650 Calories; 188g Fat (65.1% calories from fat); 106g Protein; 121g Carbohydrate; 29g Dietary Fiber; 852mg Cholesterol; 2426mg Sodium. Exchanges: 2 Grain(Starch); 9 Lean Meat; 1/2 Non-Fat Milk; 31 1/2 Fat; 4 Other Carbohydrates.

1/12th Serving: 221 Calories; 16g Fat (65.1% calories from fat); 9g Protein; 10g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 71mg Cholesterol; 202mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 2 1/2 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

1/16th Serving: 166 Calories; 12g Fat (65.1% calories from fat); 7g Protein; 8g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 53mg Cholesterol; 152mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Sep-05-05, 15:50

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/189/150 Female 6'0"
BF:42%/30%/18%
Progress: 70%

Wow, thanks for the recipe. I'm planning on trying it this evening. Happy LCing!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Sep-06-05, 15:20
Registered Member

Stats: 185/154/135 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress:

Hey Island Girl;

This recipe sounds wonderful - but are you sure about the 3 Tablespoons of vanilla? Almost 1/4 cup of vanilla sounds like an awful lof of vanilla.

Also, the 4 tsp of liquid sugar twin - I'd like to substitute liquid splenda (zero-carb syrup base from TrishZ) - can you tell me what the sugar equivalent of the sugar twin would be and I can convert from there.

Thanks - Lorraine

BTW - did you ever see my recipe for the Oregon Grape Jelly that I posted at
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=258107
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Sep-07-05, 00:22
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleRain
Hey Island Girl;

This recipe sounds wonderful - but are you sure about the 3 Tablespoons of vanilla? Almost 1/4 cup of vanilla sounds like an awful lof of vanilla.

Also, the 4 tsp of liquid sugar twin - I'd like to substitute liquid splenda (zero-carb syrup base from TrishZ) - can you tell me what the sugar equivalent of the sugar twin would be and I can convert from there.

Thanks - Lorraine

BTW - did you ever see my recipe for the Oregon Grape Jelly that I posted at
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=258107

Greetings, Ms. Lorraine!

Yes, ma'am, I find that the vanilla and the dark cocoa are very complementary, the vanilla boosts the flavour and provides a bit of moisture. I use a good pure vanilla from Bakers' Supply House and I'd rather use less (it'd be cheaper) but it wouldn't be the same. It's actually a teaspoon scant from the 5X of the original recipe -- 2 tsp X 5 = 10 tsp = 3 tbsp + 1 tsp... of course the vanilla volume is my personal taste, but please do try it, and if you think it's too much for your taste, just boost the Half-and-Half the equivalent amount of vanilla you take out.

I like to use the Canadian liquid SugarTwin together with the Erythritol for the synergy (and because I actually don't like the overwhelming volume of Splenda all around... what a change from the old days, eh? When Splenda was harder to get than hen's teeth Anyway, to answer your question, the liquid SugarTwin has on the label 1/4 tsp=1 tsp sugar so 4 tsp = 16 1/4 tsp = 5 tbsp + 1 tsp =~ a heaping 1/4 cup

And yes, indeed, I did see your recipe...I thought I posted my own experiment with blueberries and with saskatoons? Maybe I didn't. I used the Pomona universal pectin and the erythritol (and strangely, the saskatoons had more natural sweetness than the blueberries, go figure). Made terrific jam, I'm pretty happy with the results, too. Once, years ago, I made some Oregon Grape jam, gathered from the forest, etc., I remember a tremendous sized pit and ending up with far less jam than pits by volume ...clearly you are much more patient than I to take it all the way to jelly....
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Sep-07-05, 18:18
Registered Member

Stats: 185/154/135 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress:

Hi Jude;

Thanks much for the info. I've never had a problem with the taste of Splenda (liquid or powder) and I have a fair amount on hand.

Quote:

...I thought I posted my own experiment with blueberries and with saskatoons? Maybe I didn't. I used the Pomona universal pectin and the erythritol (and strangely, the saskatoons had more natural sweetness than the blueberries, go figure)

I did a search for both blueberry and saskatoon jam and came up empty. If you can find the time sometime to post it, I'd love to see your recipe. Oh, and btw, I've always thought that saskatoons were waaayyy better than bluberries for flavour. But that's just my opinion.

I used that same sweetener combination & Pomona's to make some cherry jelly. OOOOOhhh - that was good, but unfortunately I only had one cup of juice that someone gave me.

One other question - datahamster quoted you at http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=262760 as saying

Quote:

I'm up to my eyes in wheat protein isolate and have some interesting bake mix recipes that work very well with the WPI and locally available Vital Wheat Gluten and Flaxseed meal combined.

I checked out your website, but I couldn't find any recipies for the bake mix. Could you possibly post a link to it? Once again - many thanks.

Lorraine
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Sep-07-05, 20:56
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleRain
Hi Jude;

Thanks much for the info. I've never had a problem with the taste of Splenda (liquid or powder) and I have a fair amount on hand....

I did a search for both blueberry and saskatoon jam and came up empty. If you can find the time sometime to post it, I'd love to see your recipe...

One other question - datahamster quoted you at http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=262760 as saying "...WPI What Protein Isolate...and bake mix recipes..."

I checked out your website, but I couldn't find any recipies for the bake mix. Could you possibly post a link to it? Once again - many thanks.

Lorraine

Yes, indeed, in an email to DataHamster, I did say that...just a little surprised to find the email posted here!

School (Level 2 has just started up yesterday) and 2 new kitchen jobs have been keeping me busy (btw, did I mention I'm the top student in my group ...can't help myself, I'm SO pleased)...those jam recipes are either on a post-it note (believe it or not) stuck to my kitchen cupboards or scribbled on my project bundle notesheet; along with several other recipes that are "in process" for being formalized in MasterCook, etc., never mind being posted to the website... sigh... I DO have big plans to post all this stuff sometime. Meanwhile, for the jams, I followed the basic instructions for no-low sugar jams on the insert in the Pomona box, with some (lots!) of flexibility in the sweetener combo/volume. I'll see if I can't rummage them up, but essentially I used the erythritol, and some stevia (I think). These days, I pretty much use about 1/2 the total sugar-sweetness equivalent in such a combo, e.g., if 2C sugar-sweetness is called for, I'll use 3/4C E and the rest in Stevia extract/powder and/or a touch of Lo Han Guo and/or Canadian SugarTwin. I like it just a little less sweet... and your jam/jelly making experience is clearly more extensive than mine, I'm positive you can whip up some saskatoon anything in a flash!

The Bake Mix recipes are a tad further along, i.e., they're in MasterCook, broken into 1 Cup 'servings' for nutrition comparison, and in readable form, but I wanted to do a bit more comparison baking/testing, using a simple Bowl Muffin recipe to compare. Somewhere after that I would hope to post them to the website (though they'd end up here first, once I've done the testing). You (and anyone else here) is welcome to copies in text form by email if you want to experiment before I finish my x-testing...just please email me via the link on the webpage at www.lowcarbcanada.com ...

ps: I have no problem with the aftertaste of Splenda, I don't really notice one...my issue is with always using (or using most of the time) one sweetener only. I'm much more comfortable with spreading out my sweetener use amongst the widest possibly variety of sweeteners -- except for the dreaded polyols which I have developed a senstivity to -- to achieve some kind of moderation and risk management and to take full advantage of that whole synergy thing Karen has explained so well, as well as the sort of 'depth' of sweetness combos seem to provide. All that being said, I too have a ton of Splenda in many forms, as well as a ton of OTHER sweeteners.

pps: note the combo or 'bake mix' used in the 5 Minute cake, btw. A good basic start is half and half of the WPI and the almond meal; especially if you grind the two together in the food processor to get a finer meal. Use as flour as is, or add leavening and fat a la the Fake Bisquick recipe.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Nov-26-05, 10:34
Registered Member

I'm working on a vanilla and a spice cake/gingerbread version right now, and maybe by Christmas a German Chocolate (chocolate, caramel, coconut: yum!).

Any feedback out there from anyone who's made this cake?
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Dec-06-05, 00:35

Stats: 179/160/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 49%
Default Bumping this so

I'll be in on Jude's new cake recipes!

Jude, do you think Wheat Protein Isolate is anything like Polydextrose? And if you need it, I have a German Chocolate cake recipe that I got somewhere on this site, looks exc., and uses cake-ability, in case you're interested in converting it. (they also have published it on LCL newsletter in the last few months)
Take care all,
Datahamster
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Dec-06-05, 03:50
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by datahamstr
I'll be in on Jude's new cake recipes!

Jude, do you think Wheat Protein Isolate is anything like Polydextrose? And if you need it, I have a German Chocolate cake recipe that I got somewhere on this site, looks exc., and uses cake-ability, in case you're interested in converting it. (they also have published it on LCL newsletter in the last few months)
Take care all,
Datahamster

I've been working on pastry/samosas but I'll get to the cakes before Christmas, I hope...sure, point me at the GCC recipe, I'd love to hop over to it and scan. I love to see what others are doing

As for the WhtPI and the PDX, they are very very different. The closest I can get to explaining their differences basically is to describe what they are more like than each other ok, that was not clear.

PDX, well, think of everything sugar is and does in cooking (gets sticky, melts, thickens a bit, browns, holds moisture, that kind of thing) EXCEPT for the sweetness, and you have PDX effects.

Wheat Protein Isolate, think of, say, a Whey Protein Isolate or a Soy Protein Isolate, but with a 'floury' texture and bland wheat flavour, it gets really sticky when wet, too, just like Whey Protein Isolate, but does NOT melt, and "squeaky" (dry, all the water out) when cooked unless you add fats and fibers etc. for structure and to hold moisture.

See? Different. Well, from each other.

Hope that helps in some oddball kind of way?
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Dec-06-05, 09:15
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

WhtPI is incredibly gluey... must be mostly gluten. I've actually had to dispose of scrubbers and brushes after cleaning up from using WhtPI.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Dec-06-05, 19:16
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
WhtPI is incredibly gluey... must be mostly gluten. I've actually had to dispose of scrubbers and brushes after cleaning up from using WhtPI.

It's an enzyme modified or hydrolyzed wheat protein, which is a gluten, yes. It's stickiness when wet is one of its "strongest" characteristics . I use it (carefully!) for dusting/breading glue, you know the part where you dredge foodstuffs with 'flour', then egg wash then your 'breading' of choice. I get a serious case of club hand with THAT one (did you see Alton Brown recently demonstrating breading procedure and club hand?) !

ps: the stuff'll break down, I just ensure I immediately soak in hot/soapy after using the stuff; I haven't had to throw anything out yet...
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Dec-07-05, 15:14

BF:
Smile 2 recipes for GC Cake

Here are the original link to the GC Cake (it's under Sweet Treats):

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...+Chocolate+Cake

And here's the one from LC luxury which includes a snazzy picture:
http://www.lowcarbluxury.com/recipes/recipe-cake23.html

Let me know what you think.....

Take care,
Datahamstr
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Dec-07-05, 15:35

BF:
Default and furthermore....

Sorry, was in a rush to get those GCC links in.

Thanks very much for the explanation of polyD as opposed to WPI. I do understand it now!

Datahamstr
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Dec-07-05, 16:09
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandGirl
It's an enzyme modified or hydrolyzed wheat protein, which is a gluten, yes. It's stickiness when wet is one of its "strongest" characteristics . I use it (carefully!) for dusting/breading glue, you know the part where you dredge foodstuffs with 'flour', then egg wash then your 'breading' of choice. I get a serious case of club hand with THAT one (did you see Alton Brown recently demonstrating breading procedure and club hand?) !

Yeah! I loved it. Good to know there's a term for what happens to your hand when you're dredging. But it makes me wonder about club foot?!?

I couldn't get the little globs of WPI out of my scratcher pad even after soak! And I think I had a nylon brush that was hopelessly gummed up. Maybe I should've just soaked it longer.

Oh well, I'm off wheat now.