Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Jul-19-06, 14:27
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscaruso
After reading the article and all the reply's about the artificial sweetners, Im beggining to wonder I wrote in earlier this morning on the introduction forum as today is the 1st time I have used your site,My question after introducing myself was... after being on the Atkins diet for 13 days now my ketostix still read in the small to moderate range I simply could not understand I literally make every dinner right out of the book, every morning I eat 2 sausage egg and cheese, no bread, and for lunch I have a grilled chicken salad no tomatoes just greens,England cucumber,cheese,grilled chicken, or tuna and salad dressing, now maybe during the day I will have some pepperoni and cheese, a few cheese stix, a controlled carb yogurt or a sugur free ice pop or 2, That is it I have not cheated AT ALL, However I do drink ALOT of coffee and ice coffee,in my hot cup of DECAF I have 2 equal and heavy creme,in my Decaf ice coffee ,(usually from D&D's) I have a medium decaf extra light with 4 equals and whip creme, Do you think it could be the equal that is stopping me from achieving ketosis, a dark purple result I really need to know!!!! Please help

hi Samantha,

Yes, it's very likely that those packets of sweetener, plus the cream, may be putting your carbs wayyy over the limit. Each sweetener packet should be counted as 1 gram , and each fluid ounce of heavy cream is also 1 gram. Is the whipped cream from a can? because that stuff is full of sugar and can rack up quite a few carbs if you use a lot of it.

For the record, during Induction, you're limited to 3 packets of sweetener per day, and 2-3 oz of cream. It's a good idea to try to stay within these restrictions for the best chance of success with the program. Cutting out or at least cutting way back on sweeteners will also help curb your sweet tooth and lessen cravings for "real" sweets.

hth

Doreen
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Aug-04-06, 22:33

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 190/159/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 62%

If your ketostix are pink at all, you're burning fat and creating ketones. Depth of the purple color is only a factor of the concentration of ketones in your urine.

If you want it to go purple, you can always just stop drinking water. (Note: this is a Really Bad Idea. Don't worry about the stix!)
  #18   ^
Old Sun, Sep-03-06, 12:51
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 213/194.6/165 Female 5' 7''
BF:
Progress: 38%

Samantha, maybe you should try recording everything you eat on Fitday, at least for a while. You might be able to see what it is that's driving you above the 20 g limit if any.
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Oct-11-06, 13:25
Registered Member

Plan: South beach
Stats: 148/146/120 Female 5 feet
BF:
Progress: 7%

Hi,
Just from reading Atkin's book, you MAY be overdoing it on the cream and sweetener. He says in his book 1-3tlb of cream A DAY and also depending on the sweetener you use, they can have carbs. Splenda has one carb per serving, and again, Dr. Atkins says only 1-3 sweeteners a day.
I have read on these boards and others, that caffeine can cause SOME people to "stall". Also, if you are drinking enough water daily, the stix will NEVER turn purple. If they are purple, you are likely dehydrated. They should just be trace pink. You should notice funny taste in your mouth and your pee will smell funny, too.

Hope this helps - keep looking around these boards, they are very helpful and have a variety of info. Good luck!
Sue