Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jul-24-05, 13:27

Plan: my own low carb
Stats: 240/217/160 Female 65
BF:BF-whats that
Progress: 29%
Default No exercise

Hi,

I am a stay at home mother of 3 and have been on Atkins for 14 days. I have very little time or energy to exercise. But I know I need to exercise to boost my weight lost. What kind of exercise could I do while at home before my husband gets home. Also has anyone done Atkins without exercising and lost weight. I am not trying to do this because I want to tone up also but I want to know has anyone done it without the exercise. Thanks hope someone can help!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jul-24-05, 13:43

Plan: paleo-ish
Stats: 482/400/240 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 34%

There are hundreds of excersize videos you can borrow from your local library. Depending on the ages of your children, this could even be something you encourage them to do with you.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jul-24-05, 13:49

Plan: Intermittent fast/Lowcarb
Stats: 251/199/180 Male 5 ft 10 inch
BF:
Progress: 73%

Hi, I lost *too much* weight on Atkins. The only exercise I did at that time was walking. I'd highly recommend walking or an inexpensive treadmill or stationary bike, if you can't leave the house.

Aerobic videos as Bat Spit suggested would also be great, but they take a heck of a lot of energy that you don't seem to have at the moment. Just watching them makes me weary
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jul-24-05, 13:55

Thanks for the quick responses. I have an treadmill, , sitting in my bedroom collecting dust, I just need to get off my behind and do it. Thank you so much, I don't know why I hadn't thought of exercise videos.......Thanks for the advice!!!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jul-24-05, 23:51
muscle bound

Plan: Lyle's PSMF
Stats: 226/150/135 Female 5'7.5"
BF:46/20/sliced
Progress: 84%

Hi ziak!

I'm a SAHM of 2, a 7yo and a 1yo. I have difficulty exercising when they're both around (and awake, ), so I had to rearrange my schedule to fit in the exercise, but I did it, as it's important to me. Are any of your 3 in school? Do any of them go to preschool? Try to schedule time for yourself during either their school time or naptime. If this is just too difficult, then whip out the treadmill and jump on it for just 5-10 minutes at a time....you should be able to do this much even if all 3 are scooting around, Don't worry about it being "not enough".....every minute of exercise you do still loves your body.

Good luck to you!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jul-25-05, 00:38

Plan: UDS
Stats: 199/190/190 Male 69
BF:12%/11%/6%
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziakj24
Hi,

I am a stay at home mother of 3 and have been on Atkins for 14 days. I have very little time or energy to exercise. But I know I need to exercise to boost my weight lost. What kind of exercise could I do while at home before my husband gets home. Also has anyone done Atkins without exercising and lost weight. I am not trying to do this because I want to tone up also but I want to know has anyone done it without the exercise. Thanks hope someone can help!!!

Do you have dumbbells at home?
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jul-25-05, 07:13

Thanks Dane for the reply. My 4 yr old actually starts preschool Aug 10, so I will have one in school, I never thought of it that way, I always wanted to get in 40-45 min. of exercising, but that's so true every minute counts bc at this point I am doing nothing besides our daily walk. Kbfun, no I do not have any dumbells I guess it is time for me to purchase some!
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jul-25-05, 09:38
Round 2

Plan: RNY & LowCarb
Stats: 270/180/160 Female 5'10
BF:sz 24/sz16/sz8
Progress: 82%

I've barely exercised and I've lost 50 lbs so far. I go through spurts where I do..either walking 2 miles (my 9 & 6 year olds ride their bikes with me) or my Richard Simmons step aerobics tape (yep..vcr tape ). I have The Firm dvd set and step, but its still a little difficult for me..hopefully when I'm closer to goal I'll try it again.
Have you thought of just turning on some music and dancing in the living room? Even if its just 10 minutes here and there a few times a day thats helpful too.....and the kids can be involved.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jul-25-05, 09:49

Thanks for the reply Jigger,

I actually took my kids out for a walk this morning, my son rode his bike and I pulled my two girls in the wagon. I really burned up a sweat, walked around the apartments and then walked to the store to get snacks for the kids. I think I will start walking to the store instead of driving, I really was begging to get home, but it felt good to do some kind of exercise. Thanks for the idea of dancing my kids love music and dancing so I think I will do that more often.

Thanks again
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jul-25-05, 14:31
Round 2

Plan: RNY & LowCarb
Stats: 270/180/160 Female 5'10
BF:sz 24/sz16/sz8
Progress: 82%

You're welcome
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jul-25-05, 14:37

Plan: UDS
Stats: 199/190/190 Male 69
BF:12%/11%/6%
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziakj24
Thanks for the reply Jigger,

I actually took my kids out for a walk this morning, my son rode his bike and I pulled my two girls in the wagon. I really burned up a sweat, walked around the apartments and then walked to the store to get snacks for the kids. I think I will start walking to the store instead of driving, I really was begging to get home, but it felt good to do some kind of exercise.

Thanks again

That some good exercise!

When you get some dumbbells, research and learn the dumbbell swing. It's a great exercise for burning lots of calories, improving conditioning and building some great overall body strength, especially the core muscles. 3-5 sessions per week, 3-5 sets per session, vary your rep ranges. Easy exercise to do with kids running around. I have three girls of my own, which are now old enough to swing there own little 5 lb db while I do my stuff. It's fantastic exercise for them and will help prepare them for when they start playing sports in school. They started lifting their little 1/2 lb. pink barbie weight around 5 years old.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Jul-29-05, 14:17
weighing in....

Plan: BFL
Stats: 245/225/200 Female 5' 10"
BF:Why, yes, yes I do
Progress: 44%

I used to say that I was "too tired" to exercise... and for the first week after I started I found myself asking why I was doing this to myself . But after the first week of consistent exercise I found that I had more energy and didn't feel as tired!

Any exercise is better than no exercise. Keep on doing those walks to the store and get your kids involved. It is a great habit to start while they are young.

kiks
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Aug-03-05, 02:29
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, on and off
Stats: 190/175/165 Male 5' 9"
BF:12-13% (?)
Progress: 60%

Ditto to what KB says.

Also look into jumping rope. You don't get in a rut with a tape, and you don't have to invest in a piece of exercise equipment that will take up floor space. A piece that you may, or may not use. A good jump rope (life line for instance at: www.lifeline-usa.com) will run you about $14-$20.