Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Sep-05-01, 12:57

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 73/58/57
BF:
Progress: 94%
Question Rapeseed Oil: Good or Bad?

Reading through the ingredients on a packet I see that it contains a fair amount of Rapeseed oil. I checked it on fitday.com and it is a lot of polyunsaturated fat. Is that good or bad for LCing?

I feel a little stupid asking this .. feel I should know the answer but truth is I don't and I'd like to know.
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Sep-05-01, 13:50

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Typical composition %
Saturates 7
Monounsaturates 63
Polyunsaturates 30

My source says its mostly mono?
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Sep-05-01, 15:25

BF:
Default Good or Bad?

Okay so it is mono. Is that good or bad for LCers?
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Sep-05-01, 15:36
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Thumbs up it's fine

fiona, I'll explain more about why later, when I've got more than a few minutes. Mari Otenn has asked about good fats vs bad fats too .. and I want to give a thorough answer to you both!!

Anyway ... pure vegetable and animal fats as they occur in nature are safe and good. So the rapeseed oil, also known as canola by the way, is fine to use. Poly's, mono's and saturated all have a role to play in health. So butter, pure lard, the fat in meat, poultry and fish, vegetable oils, fish oils, raw nuts, seeds, olives and avocados are healthy and good.

It's when man interferes and processes the fats that they become dangerous. Hydrogenation produces TRANS fats .. these are the artery cloggers.

Polyunsaturates have been in the news that they may increase risk of colon cancer if consumed in excess. I believe if you eat a balance of fats from different sources, then there's no problem at all.

Hope this eases your mind a little, and I'll explain more about poly's, mono's and Omega's later, promise!!

Doreen
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Sep-05-01, 15:58
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:

I gotta throw in my 2 cents here...

Rapeseed/Canola, along with many other things including soya beans is genetically modified. Canola is in almost everything nowadays.

The more I research into this WOE, the more I want to keep these Frankenfoods out of my mouth. The enviromental and political implications are tremendous too.

As I said, my two cents!

Karen
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Sep-05-01, 22:50

Plan: Dr Atkins/PP
Stats: 180/170/138 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 24%
Default My 2 cents...

My friend who is some sort of Mechanical Engineer works with Heavy Machinery uses Rapeseed Oil (industrial grease) to grease his tools and also sent it to the field for the big drillers.

Also there is no such plant as Canola. It is a marketing creation.

After I found out about that I gave up all things Canola and stick with butter.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Sep-06-01, 01:05
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:

Yep! Rapeseed oil doen't sound too attractive, does it? Canola loosely means "Canada oil".

Karen
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Sep-06-01, 02:03
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Most edible vegetable oils also have industrial applications, including lubrication, soaps and detergents, etc ... The casein from milk, which is what gives cheese it's wonderful texture .. is used for paints and adhesives. Flax oil, also called linseed oil, has been used for centuries for its drying and sealing properties in paints. Tallow from animal fat is used in soap. Hemp and olive oil are used in cosmetics ... etc, etc.

Rapeseed is a member of the brassica family ... cabbage, broccoli, radish, etc .. and mustard as well. ALL of these plants produce a substance which can be toxic to insects and some animal species, including humans, if ingested in large amounts. It's this property that appeals to gardeners, since these plants are therefore relatively pest-free... .. Note - this toxic substance .. glucosinolate ... is found in the stem and roots of the plants.

Natural rapeseed oil, and mustard oil have been used for centuries in Indian and Asian cooking, with no ill effect. In the late 70's, it was discovered that these oils contained a high level of Erucic acid, which proved harmful to rats. So, rapeseed was bred and cross-pollenated to be low in erucic acid. This "miracle" seed was coined Canola, for "Canadian Oil". By any name, it's still Low Erucic Acid Rapeseed, or LEAR. Since then scientists have discovered that erucic acid is toxic to rats specifically, and is NOT toxic to humans as once thought. Udo Erasmus devotes a chapter to this in "Fats That Heal, Fats That Kill", pp 116-118.

LEAR, or canola oil ... has useful nutritional benefits. Karen brings up an excellent point though. Processed and refined oils have pretty much anything that's good about them removed in the refining process. Canola, soy, sunflower or safflower oils ... that are sold on most grocery shelves .. have been solvent-extracted, heat-processed, bleached and deodorized to make them nice and clear, "light tasting" (ie, tasteless), and to give a long shelf life. The essential fatty acids have been destroyed in the process. Extra-virgin olive oil is pretty much the only cold-pressed unrefined oil that is commonly sold in grocery stores. Note that plain olive oil, golden in colour, is highly refined and processed.

Canola or rapeseed, as well as just about everything we eat, especially oil-seeds .. has been genetically modified ... to either change something about the oil yield itself, or to make the plant resistant to the elements, for better or for worse. It is possible to find organically grown, non-GMO, cold-pressed and unrefined canola/rapeseed oil, and other oils ... in health food stores and some large supermarkets that carry natural foods. Unrfined, unprocessed oil will taste like the seed, nut, fruit it came from.

There is another fat that is natural, healthy and minimally processed. It's called BUTTER. It's stable when heated, doesn't turn to harmful trans-fat, and has a good fatty acid profile. And it tastes good

On the subject of poyunsaturate vs. monounsaturate ... these fats both have health benefits. Polyunsaturated fatty acids can lower LDL "bad" cholesterol levels. Monounsaturates keep arteries from clogging, lower LDL, and raise HDL "good" cholesterol. Polys -- if consumed exclusively, and in excess -- have been linked to colon cancer. Eating natural fats and oils from a variety of sources will keep this in balance.

Sources of mononunsaturates - olives, canola, avocadoes, almonds, peanuts, macadamias and their oils

natural polyunsaturates - corn, soy, hemp, flax, sunflower, safflower, borage, fish oil, evening primrose, egg yolks

man-made polyunsaturates (ie, TRANS fats) - margarine, hydrogenated coconut and palm oil, vegetable shortening

hope this has been helpful

Doreen
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Sep-06-01, 17:01

BF:
Thumbs up Thanks every1 for your 2c worth

Did get a little confusing at first but in a word it's good.

My head can't be bothered with all the ins and outs of it right now. I will come back to it later to try and understand. All I know is that for every single thing under the sun there's always two opposing points of view. My judgement is if the two arguments match in force it is a okay!

Anyway I've bought it now so I might as well enjoy it without worrying about it. Thanks very much Doreen and Karen and Sarlyle. It has been helpful. I am very glad I asked.

Thanks again. Take care.