Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jan-05-02, 13:47

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 226/226/136
BF:
Progress: 0%
Exclamation I still don't get induction

I did read the New Diet Revolution, I promise (Okay, maybe not all the chapters in the back about diabetes and other stuff. But I did read most of it.)

I still don't understand induction. He just doesn't lay it out clearly enough for me. 20g of carbs, I get that. But am I or am I not allowed veggies? What about cheese?

What I really want is a menu (yes, I admit to laziness) that takes all of the guesswork (and temptation) from the process. Does anyone know where I can find one?

Thanks! Tina
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jan-05-02, 13:53

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 296/278/179 Female  5'8
BF:
Progress: 15%

Hi, Tina. You sound like me -- I love menus. I want it all written down, with only foods I like in it, and I want the meals delivered to me in boxes Maybe we could start a company!

Here's a site with all kinds of induction menus:

http://users.erols.com/dyandan/breakfast.htm

As for your questions, he covers cheese -- yes, you can have cheese on induction (p. 72 of the revised book lists them. "in fact, almost all cheeses" There's a footnote to explain which ones are not allowed, and it's only the processed ones, lilke Velveeta.) As for vegetables, it's 3 cups of salad OR 2 cups of salad and 2/3 cup of allowable vegetables (that's in the first rule of induction, on p. 71).

It's worth re-reading those rules until you can pass a quiz on them.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jan-05-02, 13:54

BF:
Default One more thing

I just thought of one more thing I'd like to know. What about diet soda. I am very addicted to caffienne, and want to ease off of it. But I also just really like diet soda. I found that Diet Rite has no caffienne and does not use aspertame (it uses splenda instead). Does that mean it is ok?
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jan-05-02, 14:04

Plan: Modified LC
Stats: 231/203.5/150 Female 5'5"
BF:Yep
Progress: 34%

Yes, Tina,

From what I understand, sodas without aspartame are okay. Look for the world Splenda as the sweetener.

I'm not sure what edition you have of DANDR, but my edition, copyright 1999, shows charts of what to eat starting on page 96. Go back to your book and look up "Induction". There must be guidelines and lists of food available for you to eat.

You can have certain veggies and certain types of cheese. I have not checked out the link that alto sent you, but no doubt, it is a helpful one.

I encourage you to hang around these message forums and I can guarantee, you will learn everything you ever wanted to know about low carbing - and probably a whole lot more!

I look forward to reading about your successes!
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jan-05-02, 14:14

BF:
Talking Thanks

Wow, this forum is fantastic. People post replies so quickly and no one seems to get annoyed with stupid questions.

I checked out the link you sent, Alto, and it was exactly what I needed. I'm a psuedo-vegetarian (I don't eat anything that walked on land) but I can substitute fish and seafood for most meals pretty easily.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jan-05-02, 14:19

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

Tina, yes Diet Rite or Diet RC (same company) drinks are fine. However, and let me stress this....it does NOT replace the water intake.

You still need to drink 64 oz of plain ole water plus 8 oz for every 25 pounds you want to lose. That is outside whatever else you had to drink that day.

In Dr Atkin's book there are about 4 pages (starts at pg 96 in my older version) in the induction section that outlines all the foods you can chose from. You can not go outside the box and eat anything else. The reason behind this is to detox your system and eliminate the food cravings.

Drinking or eating anything that has artificial sweeteners in it, may cause you not to lose anything. It "tastes" sweet to the tongue therefore can trigger insulin release.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jan-05-02, 14:57

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 197/184/145 Female 5 ft 6 in
BF:45%/32%/22%
Progress: 25%
Default Re: Thanks

Quote:
Originally posted by readalie
Wow, this forum is fantastic. People post replies so quickly and no one seems to get annoyed with stupid questions.

There's no such thing as a stupid question. We all started out knowing exactly nothing about LCing, and we are all learning as we go along. Asking questions helps us to learn. If you are on the path to educating yourself about this new way of life, and you've been doing your reading, you are bound to have questions. It means you are THINKING about what you are doing.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jan-05-02, 15:03
Registered Member

Plan: FatLocity (as of 10 March 02)
Stats: 291/276/175
BF:
Progress: 13%
Default Hi Readalie

Hi Readalie,

I discovered the hard way my body will not lose fat if I use artificial sweeteners. The same can apply to many people for caffiene. It is worth your while to monitor this to see how it affects you. I have eliminated both completely and am now seeing results.

Start a journal, others will read it and help you (like they did for me). Also, reading journals will give you ideas on the right and wrong things to eat on induction.

Welcome
Kim
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jan-05-02, 16:16

Plan: Atkins/Stnry Bike/Physio
Stats: 225/210/155 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%
Default Vegetarianism

Quote:
Originally posted by readalie
I'm a psuedo-vegetarian (I don't eat anything that walked on land) but I can substitute fish and seafood for most meals pretty easily.

Hi there.....

In the past (and for 8 years) I was a lacto-ovo vegetarian. (Eggs and dairy only.) I did this for the simple reason that eating any kind of flesh made me sick. Though I started eating flesh again about 5 years ago, it was only a small part of my diet...maybe twice a week. When I made the decision to start eating LC, on my Doc's recommendation, I knew I had to bite the bullet and EAT MEAT! The first several weeks were very difficult, but now that I've gotten used to it I find that the meat is the most satisfying component of the diet. I've experimented a lot with the type I prefer and I've discovered that I can eat just about all of them now.

Amazing the capacity we all have for change!

Marlaine