Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-09, 09:30

Plan: my own
Stats: 215/160/175 Male 6'2''
BF:
Progress:
Default 10 years in Hypoglycemic diet

After ten years of an over active ancreas and doing all I can to help it be normal by rejecting all sugar, soda, juices, imitation sugars, fruits, starch veggies, fatty meats, cheeses and no grains and breads I did fairly well. I went from a healthy 215 to a more healthy 185. But I went down hill from there.

At times I tried introducing fruits back in to my diet, 1/2 slice of whole grain reads or cooked Barley, lots of eggs, 1/2 ND 1/2 in caffeine free teas.& decaf coffee.
Each time I began experieinceing a pain and numbness in my left arm and then a weak heart to where I began to realize that my glucose regulatory system (Pancreas, Liver, Adrenal etc) were over reacting constantly and poisening me.
They say the life is in the blood and with insulin being secreted so looslely into my sysytem that anytime I even eat a 1/4 cup of mozzerrella cheese or teaspoon of olive oil in my greens I knew I was in trouble.

I have to go on extreme diets to try to give the system a time to rebound which it ususally does. But now after ten years it's taking a lot of time 5 months and I'm down to 158 and have littel umph and vitaality for life.
I'm not discouraged as I pray and read the bible and m encouraged.
I just want to get energized and that is hard to put together.

Strangly,
If I fast for three days and cleans my system, I am completly healed of the imperfections in my sugar glucose management system and am vital and vibrant....until I have to eat something to sustain this flesh.

Within a day I get flat and sluggish and am betwixed as what to eat.

USualy I can eat foods that digest slowly so that any calories are released and absorbed slowly.
I have been to diabetic MD's, family Docs, Internists, and a host of others with no results.

Most are completely in the dark about diet and nutrition.
My blood tests after 12 hr fast show normal.

I am loosing tis battle and feel like I am drying up and will eventually blow away.
Each day diet is as follows,
Breakfast: 1 egg, big slice of turkey ham and onions all cooked without oil and cut in half eaten 2 hrs apart.

Lunch: Fish or Chicken breast with a large pile of greens, Green Beans or Broccoli.

Dinner: The same some times low fat hamburger on greens after first boiling the meat in water and draining off ecess fat.

Bedtime the same.

I cannot eat carbs. If I have a 1/8 of a cup of oatmeal with nothing else I will feel an ache in my shoulder and if I eat any wheat cereals and milk I will get weak in my heart to where these days I can't even sing.

I have four kids to provide for and a wife. I earn between 60-120k annually.

I often go into a 45 minute funk 2 hrs or 4 hrs after every meal where my boby just wants ot sleep.

Any suggestions out there?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-09, 10:29

Plan: lc my way
Stats: 285/207.6/170 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 67%

have you read the makers diet?? I dont follow it, but I have read it and he has alot of interesting things to say about some of the things you are experiencing. The author is Jordan Rubin and he is a DR. who overcame crhones disease. you might give it a look. He speaks of eating natural
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-09, 10:32

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 186/181.5/125 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 7%

I don't understand why you can't eat fats. I've been diagnosed hypoglycemic since 1996 and symptomatic all my life until low carb. I started out with this information:

http://www.fred.net/slowup/hai.html

It made a huge impact on my health. Have you talked to a dietician? Something definitely sounds off here.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-09, 11:15

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

You need to talk to my husband. He struggles with issues exactly like yours but is healthy and happy. He's handled it in a completely different way:

1)He eats organ meats
2)He eats about 70% of his calories from fat. Without fat you will have no energy in the absence of carbs.
3) He eats only once a day to avoid the insulin spike and crash. His meal is at night so that if he does crash it's while he's sleeping. Intermittent fasting helps even out blood sugar.
4) He eats only meat and non starchy vegetables and supplements with fermented food, mainly sauerkraut, to get sufficient sodium and Vitamin C.

His screen name here is Capmikee.

Janine
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-09, 14:15
Never Give Up!

Plan: It's anybody's guess!
Stats: 350/250/160 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 53%

Welcome to the forums, Ben! I'm glad you found us!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Koops
I have to go on extreme diets to try to give the system a time to rebound which it ususally does. But now after ten years it's taking a lot of time 5 months and I'm down to 158 and have littel umph and vitaality for life. <snip> Any suggestions out there?
JMO, but I doubt that your body "heals" by being abused on extreme diets. Your symptoms might go into remission, but the underlying problem won't be resolved. You need to settle on a healthy low-carb diet and follow it for the rest of your life. As I said, JMO.

Last edited by Kisal : Thu, Feb-12-09 at 17:55.