Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Dec-12-07, 15:39

Plan: BFing Diet/Atkins
Stats: 290/280/160 Female 66 in
BF:
Progress: 8%
Question Low Carb while trying to conceive

I know ketosis is not safe during pregnancy, so because of this I am concerned because my husband and I are trying to conceive. Is being in ketosis dangerous while trying to conceive? What about the period of time between when I conceive and when I REALIZE I am pregnant. Will ketosis hurt the pregnancy or even prevent it?

Has anyone been in ketosis when they conceived? I am concerned and haven't found anything concrete regarding this piece of it.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Dec-12-07, 15:55

Plan: CKD
Stats: 225/180/175 Female 179cm
BF:
Progress:

There is no evidence that ketosis is not safe during pregnancy, it's just that doctors won't advice you to deliberately try to get into or stay in ketosis. But considering how often pregnant women end up in ketosis on perfectly "normal" diets, it's not something to worry about.

I was a high-carbing vegetarian when I was pregnant, but I was frequently in ketosis because I cycled a lot. My midwife wasn't worried, just send me off to eat a banana.

My cousin suffered from very extreme pregnancy sickness, and she was in ketosis for months on end, even when it got so bad they put her on a glucose drip. It didn't affect her pregnancies.

Basically, I'd eat a diet which you feel is healthy. Once you get pregnant, your body will tell you want you need to eat.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Dec-12-07, 16:40
Taking MY Turn

Plan: Intuitive Eating
Stats: 240/220.8/190 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 38%

I agree. I would especially not worry about it when trying to conceive. For me, I was eating ala PPLP and not checking for ketosis but was ranging 20-40g carb (effective carbs) each day or so. I felt great. I was weight training and very strong. I honestly feel that my low-carb lifestyle helped me conceive...though I have no proof, having dropped all that weight and becoming so strong HAD to have had a positive effect.

Once I knew I was pregnant, I ate as I felt right doing so and stayed fairly strict LC for awhile. I couldn't see how meats and salads and veggies and fats could be bad for me. I still don't.

I will admit I started to crave things I hadn't before and couldn't tell what was going on, but I went with my body. I decided not to fight cravings. Milk was a huge one for me. In my second trimester, sugar came back to join my life. <sigh> But I've tried hard not to beat myself up about it. I just try to keep the balance, eat good foods, take my vites and hope for the best.

I just started month 9 and from the feel and sounds of it (and a couple of ultrasounds) my baby is doing well. I think if something is going to go wrong, it will and it will have NOTHING to do with whether you had sugar or were in ketosis or anything of that sort. I decided early on that fretting and worrying would do me no good and that listening to my body and accepting what it asks for (and feeling free to deny it too much of the treats but not deny it completely, haha) would be my best recourse.

At this stage in the game I can't guarantee you I was right, but I feel like it hasn't backfired yet!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Dec-12-07, 20:19
one day at a time

Plan: south beach
Stats: -/-/- Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 20%

I had been low carbing successfully for about a year and a half (Protein Power) when we became pregnant with our first child. Being in ketosis didn't seem to matter that early on. When you know for sure that you are pregnant, you can up the carbs a bit. Many doctors will applaud women who aren't eating a lot of sugar when they are pregnant, anyway. Of course, they don't want you to diet, or try to lose weight, but they do want you to eat healthily. I think the PP book suggested to go on maintenance-level carbs, but I should probably admit here that I went completely off low-carb once I became pregnant because I had intense morning sickness for 9 months and was just at the mercy of my body (both pregnancies). But it was worth it, for the kiddos! And I'm back to LC now.

Anyway, good luck!!!!!!!

And Lisa, good luck with your delivery! How exciting!!!!!!

Last edited by sassafras : Thu, Dec-13-07 at 08:10.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Dec-13-07, 05:31
muscle bound

Plan: Lyle's PSMF
Stats: 226/150/135 Female 5'7.5"
BF:46/20/sliced
Progress: 84%

I was heavily in ketosis when I conceived my last 2 kids...so that was about 6 weeks of keto (at least) before realizing I was pregnant.

They are now 3 yo and 13 months old, healthy as can be, smart, little terrors, heh.

As Helen said, the first trimester some women are sooooo sick, puking, etc., that they usually fall into ketosis anyway, with no ill effects on the baby.

FWIW, after about the 6th week of pregnancy, my morning sickness set in so heavily that all I could stomach was carbs, so I wasn't in ketosis for the majority of the pregnancy.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Dec-13-07, 08:25

BF:

Thank you for all of the advice ladies. I cannot wait to join the pregnancy group! We have been married a year and are looking forward to starting our family soon.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Dec-13-07, 10:54
Taking MY Turn

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetJenna
Thank you for all of the advice ladies. I cannot wait to join the pregnancy group! We have been married a year and are looking forward to starting our family soon.
We'll be very excited to welcome you to the group...good luck!!!!

And Sassafras, thanks for the well wishes on the delivery. I can't believe I'm in month 9. <shaking head> It's crazy and surreal and the baby isn't even out yet!
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Dec-14-07, 10:55

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 195/148/150 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I was in ketosis when we conceived our daughter. I also attribute my ease in getting pregnant and healthy pregnancy to this diet (got pg first try!). Even though I was 12 yrs older than the first time pregnant, I gained less and felt better with this third pregnancy. My midwife was very agreeable to limiting sugars and "white" carbs, and I gained the least with this one too. My daughter was born at home at 41 weeks and absolutely perfect, 9 lb 8 oz.

Good luck with everything Lisa! If you need any help, I've become a real birth junkie over the years and would be glad to help you
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Dec-15-07, 11:45

BF:

I just found out today....I am PREGNANT! Guess my sixth sense was telling me something after all! I was heavily in ketosis. Today I think I will up the carbs a bit, but still make good choices. I still can't believe it. I will probably just take your advice and up the carbs a bit as my body requests, but not use it as an excuse to fall of the plan.

Yippee!!
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Dec-15-07, 12:51

Plan: I'm a Barry Girl
Stats: 250/208/190 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 70%

Congrats Jenna!!!

#11   ^
Old Sat, Dec-15-07, 15:06
Taking MY Turn

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetJenna
I just found out today....I am PREGNANT! Guess my sixth sense was telling me something after all! I was heavily in ketosis. Today I think I will up the carbs a bit, but still make good choices. I still can't believe it. I will probably just take your advice and up the carbs a bit as my body requests, but not use it as an excuse to fall of the plan.

Yippee!!

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! C'mon over to the preggo threads! All the best to you and congrats to hubby too!
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Dec-16-07, 15:11

Plan: CKD
Stats: 225/180/175 Female 179cm
BF:
Progress:

Congratulations. Way to go. Have a great pregnancy.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Dec-16-07, 22:17

Plan: Primal-ish
Stats: 212/181/150 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Congratulations!! Hope your don't feel too bad the first trimester.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Dec-17-07, 05:11
muscle bound

Plan: Lyle's PSMF
Stats: 226/150/135 Female 5'7.5"
BF:46/20/sliced
Progress: 84%

Wooooo! Congrats, Jenna!
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Dec-17-07, 21:37

Plan: LC/carnivore 6/26/23
Stats: 200/194/137 Female 5 feet 6.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 10%

Congrats Jenna - how exciting!

I am trying to conceive too!

I must be honest I went off low carb months and months before I was even "trying" because I thought it was bad for our kidneys to do Atkins while pregnant. The thing is, I didn't start trying till this month and of course, I am up 25 lbs (size 12) from where I was in April (size 8). I have lost and gained the same 25 lbs so many times that can't be good for my heart.

Right now I am eating healthy most days but I wasn't low carbing. I lost most my weight eating meat and eggs with very low carb veggies. Now a days, I will have some low carb shakes during the day but eat a normal dinner.

Do you think I should go back on low carb even while trying to conceive? Do you think it is really harmful for the baby? I am just very confused at what to do myself.

One thing I have done is given up coffee and caffeinated sodas. I am sleeping SO much better because of it and I think that makes a huge difference in my energy levels. I also gave up caffeine pills and sleeping pills. Hmm.. I sound like I have a lot of addictions but the truth is, I just want to have a healthy baby when the times comes and then of course, slim down (After I am done with breast feeding if I choose to breast feed).

Congrats to all those that are soon to deliver. I wil subscribe to some of these threads to find out more information. It is so much easier to hear of people's experiences than to read from a book what someone "thinks" we should be doing. But I agree with the other women that posted, most doctors would not advise us having tons of sugar when preggers anyway.

Goodluck and G_d bless,
love
Entropy