Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Apr-18-08, 07:00

Plan: Mod Atkins
Stats: 170/162/110 Female 5 ft
BF:
Progress: 13%
Unhappy How do you get your homones corrected?

I heard that a woman's hormone can cause weight gain & make it hard to lose the weight.

Do I have to go to a GYN or can I go to regular Family Practice Dr. Or can I just go buy an over the counter herbal supplement to increase my metabolism.

I'm going to be 39 this summer so I don't think it's menopause creeping up on me. But since I had the baby I have been sluggish, major carb craving & hard time losing the weight. But before I had the baby I had a high metabolism. Before I got pregnant I was 120 now my weight seems to want to be 160. I just don't get it.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Apr-18-08, 13:56

Plan: Generic LC
Stats: 212/157/135 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 71%

#3   ^
Old Fri, Apr-18-08, 14:05

Plan: atkins (modified)
Stats: 498/436/300 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 31%

go to the gyno and have them do a blood panel, could be a number of things causing the feeling your describing,best to get good advice from someone certified
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Apr-21-08, 10:33

Plan: Mod Atkins
Stats: 170/162/110 Female 5 ft
BF:
Progress: 13%

Thanks, Bandito & Nae
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Apr-21-08, 10:37

Plan: atkins (modified)
Stats: 498/436/300 Female 5'9
BF:

also try this stuff the gyno put me on, its called progesterone cream its completely safe as well, the net has a whole slew of info on it, my hormones where out of wack and they found out i had a low thyroid, so i got put on meds for it, but i still had symptoms aka , no sex drive, anger, migraines, no periods,frustration,anxiety, insomnia and a host of other complaints, the gyno tried me on progesterone cream and it really helps, things are getting back in order, it also helps premenapausal or menapausal women , hot flashes ect

Last edited by Nae : Mon, Apr-21-08 at 12:14.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jun-19-08, 16:27

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162/137/135 Female 5'4”
BF:
Progress: 93%

I'm resurrecting this thread in hopes some more people will respond.

I just started taking some progesterone today and hope it helps. I had a miscarriage at 39 and not long after a tubal. Since then my body has gone bonkers hormonally. I take Black Cohosh & St John's Wort but haven't really noticed any difference at all in my mood swings and depression. Before having my tubal, I'd read so many accounts that it can bring on early menopause and I really believe that's what is happening to me. At my last doc visit 2 months ago, he said one of my ovaries was really enlarged...I have to go in at the end of this month for a follow-up on that. Getting old sucks....I'm just falling apart.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jun-19-08, 17:19

Plan: Moderate Carb...
Stats: 235/195/140 Female 5'3
BF:HELP!!!
Progress: 42%

Hey Leslie....

The progesterone cream should help. To anyone purchasing it on the internet, make sure you get a pharmaceutical grade cream. Also, apple cider vinegar has helped balance my blood sugars, especially my periods and those stymptoms as well.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jul-04-08, 19:08

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162/137/135 Female 5'4”
BF:
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeweeaka
Hey Leslie....

The progesterone cream should help. To anyone purchasing it on the internet, make sure you get a pharmaceutical grade cream. Also, apple cider vinegar has helped balance my blood sugars, especially my periods and those stymptoms as well.

Haven't noticed any improvement since using progesterone cream. I already try to cut out most products related to yeast but will ask my doc next week about some Nystatin and what's up with my hormones. I'm just so out of sorts - feeling down and depressed all the time lately.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jul-07-08, 09:00
Registered Member

Plan: General / Paleo / Atkins
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'8
BF:

Taking a kelp supplement or incorporating seaweed into your diet can help your thyroid function as well. Kelp is a well known source of iodine, which your thyroid needs to function optimally. It is better to eat natural seaweed frequently than to take a supplement. If you like sushi, it is often wrapped in seaweed. Or try chucking it in stirfries.