Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jul-20-03, 18:49

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 165/148/148 Male 68
BF:23%/15.3%/15%
Progress: 100%
Question Worried about upcoming day-long interview

Next week I have to go to Chicago for a job interview. I just received the interview schedule, and it is GRUELLING. I meet for breakfast with the chair of the search committee at 7:30am, and then have one interview after another with NO BREAK until 1:30 pm. I then have lunch with the search committee, and continue the interview at 2:45 until 5pm.

Clearly I'll try to have a hearty breakfast (without trying to appear too strange -- "OMG, he ate four eggs and half a lb of bacon!"), but what I'm most worried about is lunch.

I've heard a number of people say they have gotten sick when doing a cheat day. I'm somewhat hesitant to make demands on the search committee to have a "low-carb" lunch for me -- I suppose I could, but would rather not. That leaves me with trying to make the best of a potentially unsavory situation -- the LAST thing I want to do is get ill during the afternoon session, but I also don't want to appear too finicky and uptight about lunch -- unfortunately, it's those small impressions that can make the difference between a job offer an a nice polite PFO.

So, here's your chance to put that cheat day experience to some good! Can someone give me the skinny on what type of high-carbs food items to absolutely avoid? Avoiding sugar should not a problem (I'll just feign being too full for dessert), but if they take me to an Italian restuarant I'm sunk...

Help!

Last edited by Coriolis : Sun, Jul-20-03 at 19:27. Reason: Changed title
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jul-20-03, 19:27

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

In an Italian restaurant, order something of meat, fish or seafood or chicken and ask for extra vegetables instead of pasta or potatoes. No problem in most restaurants. Or ask for a salad on the side. Skip the bread.

Eat what you want to for breakfast and if someone asks, just say you are watching the sugars and starches.

All the best with the interviews.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jul-20-03, 19:31
Registered Member

Stats: 255/233/120 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 16%

Well.......you could always just say that your too full at lunch to eat much because of all the eggs and bacon you had for breakfast
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jul-20-03, 19:44

Stats: 250/188/140 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 56%

I bet most places will have a nice salad, chef's or caesar- you can order for lunch. even the italian might have antipasto for apps. I would 'practice' by having alot of salad from now till then so you know if there will be any nasty side-effects.

if you can let us know what part of chicago you'll be in, maybe someone can recommend a real famous place (not nec $$$$$) but a place you can pick. or do you think they always go to the same place? just don't go to giordano's pizza!!

Last edited by saltnpeppa : Sun, Jul-20-03 at 19:50.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jul-20-03, 19:59

Plan: Atkins/PP
Stats: 185/183/160 Female 5'5
BF:?/?/?
Progress: 8%

Don't worry and good luck on the interview!
This is not the day to change your diet. You will be sharper and more able to focus with a good diet of protien and limited carbs. If you want a cheat day, do it the day after. Most people are more concerned about what they eat, so they won't pay attention to you unless you bring it up. Just say you avoid bread for "medical reasons" if confronted. There ARE plenty of people (myself included) who have gluten and wheat intolerances.

Happy interviewing!!
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jul-20-03, 20:11

Plan: Atkins Nutritionals
Stats: 226/204/150 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 29%

Definitely get in a good low carb breakfast that will keep you focused and sustained during your interviews. I hope that you will be provided with water to drink during the interviews until your 1:30 break.

Good luck and I hope it all goes well. May I ask what type of job this interview is for?

Last edited by marchbaby : Sun, Jul-20-03 at 20:12.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jul-20-03, 20:35

Stats: 165/126/130 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%

Can you speak to the administrative staff person before you get there? There must be an admin person who is calling you and setting things up, right? the search committee isn't calling you directly are they? If so, could you call the admin person and just tactfully say you have some specific foods you can't eat (she/he will assume diabetes/allergies, vegan, whatever) and ask what is for lunch or suggest that a chef salad would work for you or a broiled chicken breast with ceasar salad (no croutons). Give a couple of options. Better to have it organized in advance than to fret about it or find out you are getting served a pasta dish or something else you can't eat for lunch.

Good luck!
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jul-20-03, 21:38

Stats: 165/148/148 Male 68
BF:23%/15.3%/15%
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanna Lose
Well.......you could always just say that your too full at lunch to eat much because of all the eggs and bacon you had for breakfast

Jennifer7, you are correct. While I have spoken with the chair of the search committee a couple times, his assistant is making all the arrangements -- good idea!

Marchbaby -- I too was wondering about having water. The schedule is very tight (about 45min-hour with 6 different people), but surely they'll let a fellow have a drink.... I would hope! To answer your other question, I'm interviewing for a faculty position at Northwestern University.

Sharann -- I'm definitely not looking for a cheat day. What bothers me is the prospect of having to cheat for lack of an alternative. I have never cheated on this WOE, and the thought of having to do it just to survive the interview is stressing me.

Saltnpeppa -- I eat tons of salad now, and I'll be delighted if I can get away with a big Greek salad or something! Yum.

Tofi -- Good advice. You're probably right that most places should offer an alternative to the rice/pasta/potato part of the dish.

Thanks all, I'm probably stressing too much about this. Cripes, I'm more worried about my WOE than I am about the interview! LOL

Last edited by Coriolis : Sun, Jul-20-03 at 21:40. Reason: spelling
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jul-20-03, 21:58

Plan: lowcarby WW
Stats: 212.6/198.8/191 Female 5 ft 1 inch
BF:
Progress: 64%

The advice to talk to the admin asst is the best so far. Often these types of interviews will be held in the conference room, with food brought in. We do the same sort of thing, and it's often "boxed lunches" for everyone which means sandwiches and chips. If anyone asks ahead of time though, the same suppliers making 'boxed lunches' - i.e., Briazz or Au Bon Pain - can supply a caesar salad or chefs salad or something. Either way - good restaurant or boxed lunch - this planning ahead is great.

Good luck.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-03, 01:15
Registered Member

Plan: Aktins
Stats: 152/143/120 Female 5' 6"
BF:38%
Progress: 28%
Thumbs up

Just want to wish you GOOD LUCK!!