Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Feb-11-17, 18:23

Plan: induction/lowcarb
Stats: 182/182/155 Female 5foot 3 inch
BF:
Progress:
Default newbie yes and no

I have done low carb in the past many many years ago. Did well for a while but gained it back...

I have tried many times to do it again and either motivation, or no will power I have been unsuccessful to do it for more than a week

I am currently truly at a higher weight than I have EVER been even when pregnant 19 years ago lol... I have acid reflux EVERYDAY with everything I eat and nothing fits. I have started having nightmares of being caught in public without clothes and being ashamed of my body... Not because I am naked but because I look so bad LOL...

My sugar drops and I get dizzy and almost pass out... when controlling my carbs this does not happen.... so many reasons to do this Health, self esteem, to love how I look in clothes...

I can and I will! Any tips for motivation???
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Feb-11-17, 19:05

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress:

You will!!! Make sure you eat well each day. Plan out your day to make sure you have just what you need. Don't just go low carb. It is too broad. Pick a plan and follow it and stick to it.
You can do this.
Look ahead. Instead of pound lost, make your goal 1 month completely on plan.
Measure your waist and then measure it again in a month. That will tell you what is really going on even if the scale is being a pain in the tookus..

YOU can do this!!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Feb-12-17, 04:08

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Welcome back, ladybug.
My best tip for motivation would be to read Why We Get Fat by Gary Taubes and then follow the clinic plan in the appendix. It includes the health benefits beside weight loss that makes it important to remain LC for life. Or if you still have the "original" Atkins book..reread that and follow its induction plan. One stumbling block when returning to LC is "remembering" the later phases, and skipping over the many benefits of induction.
You have found a great forum for information and support. Look around the various topics of sub-forums, join a Buddy group, read success stories...whatever appeals to you and will help the most. All the best,

Last edited by JEY100 : Sun, Feb-12-17 at 08:52.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Feb-12-17, 10:29

Plan: Atkins 20
Stats: 237.6/150/155 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 106%

I think that the key is finding something that is lifetime sustainable.

Personally, I am a little worried right now because this is the first time I have been on low carb and everyone says "oh, sure it works, but then you gain it all back." (And so many people on this forum are second-timers, who that exact thing happened to). I am 80 percent till goal, and I expect I'll get there in the next couple of months, in part because I have to have a surgery and then some other treatments that are going to definitely push my weight loss for several reasons, including eating restrictions.

So right now, I am starting to think about what maintenance will look like. (And my partner is too -- he is about where he wants to be, and has lost nearly 80 pounds). But he tends to think "woo hoo, now the hard part is over and I can have "moderate" amounts of stuff I miss." (Bad bad bad, I know.)

Whereas I am thinking "I have to stay on this for life, and that's fine because I love the food." But we will experiment with slowly and carefully adding in a few things like occasional or small amounts of lentils and hummous, maybe a few root veggies or higher carb veggies, occasional fruit. etc...

I absolutely love the food I've been eating, but one thing that has made it very easy is that the restrictions are very clear, and I am following them. With maintenance, it seems to get a bit looser, and it will be a new challenge to deal with a slightly bigger broader world. I think the "No GPS" rule should hold, though. And really being sure that I am having an adequate amount of healthy fats (olive oil, avocado, coconut oil, fish and fish oil, etc.)

I have found the weight loss to be extremely pleasant and easy -- by finding foods that are so good.... I can't remember liking to eat as much before the diet as I do now -- each new recipe seems better than the last. Last night we have spiced cauliflower rice, green beans cooked with tomatoes and allspice, topped with feta cheese and dill, and airfried (with a little olive oil added) spiced pork chops coated with pork rinds. And salad with olive oil and a few drops of balsamic.

I think the key is finding great recipes, and having enough snacks on hand to quell any cravings -- especially when you are getting started. Several months, in, food cravings really lessen, or, in my case, disappear almost entirely.

I think in sum -- this isn't a "diet" -- it is a permanent lifestyle change, so, even if it means losing weight at a slower pace, find the foods you can love. We really have a ton of choices.