Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Success Stories > Milestones
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jun-18-08, 14:46
Registered Member

Plan: who knows
Stats: 337/204/180 Female 67 inches
BF:100% pure
Progress: 85%
Default Tearing Down the Wall

This is long: it's 11 years of my life. You've been warned.

I just got on the scales, it's midday so I'm not at my lowest weight, and they say 198.2. For the last week I have gotten on them at all times of the day and night, because I am doing the weight loss version of pinching myself to make sure I'm awake and this is not a dream. I'm finally ready to write this. Hope I do a good job. You see, I haven't seen the number 200 on the scale for a week. Not at any time, day or night. Writing that brings tears to my eyes.

On May 5, 1997 I started Atkins. I say I started Atkins because the 1995 book was my guide, even though I ate much less than Dr. Atkins recommends. I had a medical reason to do so -- I weighed 337 pounds, was a Type II diabetic with blood sugar levels that had ranged between 300 and 400 for over a year. I was maxed out on diabetes meds, my physician was unwilling to prescribe insulin because blood work showed I had an excess of insulin. I was also taking drugs for acid reflux, blood pressure and a host of other problems.

My world was reduced to my home, the internet and the 2 hours of pure agony I spent cooking and cleaning in the kitchen. My ankles felt as if there was a fire burning in them after standing for 30 minutes -- between weight and arthritis I was bleeding into my ankles every day. My house looked like a tornado had come through because I had no energy to clean, and the pain was incredible. That was with pain pills.

I spent the first week doing Atkins in the hospital because my organs were dying. Liver, kidneys, heart -- nothing worked right and the kidneys barely worked at all. My doctor told me bluntly he expected a heart attack or stroke any day. My skin was gray where it wasn't beet red. During that week I ate 600 cals per day of meat and fat. I walked a mile every day in the corridors. An orderly walked with me -- they were afraid to let me walk and afraid to not let me walk. Personal attention is an advantage of being in a tiny hospital where you are the only patient.

I didn't lose an ounce.

I was sent home from the hospital when my kidneys started to function again. I continued eating 600 cals a day of meat and fat, and to tell the truth I wasn't hungry even for that. There was the first miracle -- I wasn't hungry. To my doctor it was the kidneys functioning, but I'd been so hungry for so many years that *lack of hunger* was the miracle to me. By blood sugar level was about 250 when I was released.

Another week went by of walking a mile and eating 600 cals. I didn't lose an ounce but I was no longer gray and red. My doctor said nothing about the weight, just rejoiced that I was eating no carbs, and making myself eat food I didn't want because he had scared me into eating something. The third week went by and I got on the scales. I had dropped 17 pounds. I remember calling the doctor's office, shrieking the news to his nurse. He called me back and I think he was crying on the phone. He had really thought I was going to die. He upped the food to 800 cals, meat and fat and I could eat 50 cals of an induction veggie every day.

Do you know how good broccoli tastes?

Months of eating 800 cals a day went by, visits to the doctor and dietician every 2 weeks. My appetite came back, not like it was before, but I started to enjoy eating. Weight dropped off. We upped the calories to 1200, I could eat 20g of carbs a day, and the weight continued to drop off. A year later I weighed 220 pounds and took no medications, not even Advil.

My world expanded. I bought a mountain bike and began riding. I got a puppy to walk and train and play with. I began to visit with my neighbors. I joined a gym and began swimming. I cut my hair, got a facial and a manicure. I bought clothes -- size 22W. I had started at a tight 34W. I bought new shoes because the old ones were too short and too wide -- 81/2D instead of 71/2EEEE. I got fitted for a bra for the first time in my life -- 42DDD. My house was clean. I took a trip to the ocean.

I began to notice that my husband tore me down continually, and had since we'd been married. I decided I needed to go back to work, but even though I had a PhD in chemistry I positively hated the work. So I started taking computer science classes and switched fields.

My doctor and I talked about goal weights. My weight loss had slowed to a creep and stopped. His advice: don't worry it will pick up again. Let me tell you, he was wrong. Lots of testing found nothing wrong. It will pick up again as soon as your body settles down. Wrong.

I decided that if I couldn't lose then I could maintain. I felt so much better that this seemed like a victory. So I maintained at 217.

I divorced my husband and left an emtpy, sexless and destructive marriage behind. I left all but $20K and my dog and cat behind in order to get him to let me go *right now*. He still complains that I cleaned him out when I left him a paid for house and all the investments and 3/4 of the savings. It was worth it.

I got a part-time job paying minimum wage doing computer science work and rented a 2 room shack outside the town housing the college I was attending. In 6 months I was running the research group I'd been hired to work in. In 4 more months I was running the research center. I weighed 217 pounds, but I was eating a lot more LC food. I moved from the 2 room shack to a 4 room shack and bought a car with cash I had saved. I dated men. I had sex again.

I bought a house, *my* house, belonging only to me and my dog and my cat. A magnificent old belle of a house that I redid. I quit men and empty sex -- they sell appliances for that you know. I spent time with friends, and worked, and enjoyed my fur family and my yard and my garden. Nothing had ever been *mine* before.

Five years after I started my journey I began to long for something else. A real relationship. I lived in the middle of nowhere so I joined an online dating site. Met a lot of men, one in particular who was recently divorced after being married 24 years and had only gone out on one date since the divorce. We started to date. He lived 90 miles away but life is short.

I was in his town giving a talk on computer stuff to business men and after the talk was over a man asked to speak with me. Five minutes later he offered me a job as a VP. A week later I signed a contract and was working in a brand new field 2 weeks after that -- developing start up and turnaround technology businesses. I moved in with my man and was deliriously happy, so happy I quit tending to the scale. We got married. One day I got on the scale and it said 240. I nearly died. I drove 90 miles to see my doctor, he set a final goal weight of 180. I said 165. We compromised on 199 as an intermediate goal, at which time we'd set a final goal.

I did Atkins by the book and lost 6 or 7 pounds then nothing. I switched to low cal/high carb and over 6 months lost down to 221 then stopped. I was hungry the whole time. I said to heck with this and switched back to Atkins. I lost nothing. I cut calories, increased calories, did the fat fast, did meat only, increased fat, decreased fat, exercised more, exercised less. After 3 months I said to heck with it and went back to maintenance. I got to 217 by alternately maintaining and trying to lose.

Fall of last year I joined this site at 217. A miracle happened -- I lost weight down to 205 and stopped. I switched to Protein Power LifePlan and dropped to 202 then everything stopped. And it stayed stopped. I saw 201.2 on the scale once. I decided to maintain again.

Last month I decided I really wanted to get to that 180, but I had to first break 200. I haven't weighed less than 200 since 9th grade. I wrote 180 in as my goal weight, up from the 165 I had used. After a business trip I came home, stopped my evening cocktail and got ready to lose.

I started eating clean, PPLP. Nothing changed. The scale looked like it was going down some then bounced up then down then up. It averaged at the same 202.8 it had been in January.

I blew up. I ranted and raved. I posted in TDC and ranted and whined. I finally admitted that not much in life meant more to me that getting below 200. In my head was that 199 that my doctor and I talked about 5 years ago. I had worked so damned hard. I was so angry and upset. Everyone showed up on the thread, everyone who knew what it was to need to lose a lot of weight, everyone who knew what it was to need to lose even a little weight and fight and feel defeat. Suggestions poured in. Sympathy poured in. Understanding of frustration. After 5 years I suddenly wasn't alone trying to tear through a wall that would not give way. People offered everything and anything the could find to offer, even if that was just "I hear you and I understand how you must feel." They thought that was "just" a tiny little thing. No, it was huge.

So after ranting and whining and reading "I am often the most frustrated before a breakthrough" -- something I thought was pretty ludicrous --I got on the scales 2 days later and saw 199.6. My first thought was not "Oh My God," it was Janine writing "I am often the most frustrated before a breakthrough." The next day it said 198.8. Then it said 197.0.

We tore down the wall. *We* did it. I do not believe that I would have done it without all of you saying what you said, pulling me out of a dark hole, having faith, offering help and being there.

Thanks, friends. We did it. And we are not stopping here.

Last edited by LessLiz : Thu, Jun-19-08 at 09:16.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jun-18-08, 15:01

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 220/255/180 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: -88%

Wow. I have no words. That was an amazing story, and it must have been hell to go through at times. Congratulations on your success (and I do mean *all* of your success)!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jun-18-08, 15:22

Plan: My Own
Stats: 215/212/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

I was so glad to read this. It brought tears to my eyes even though I don't think I was one of those who encouraged you. Well, not in writing, but in my heart I have been pulling for you, and I know for each person who wrote, there were many others whose thoughts were with you.

I never felt like I knew you well enough to say anything, but I want you to know that I often read things you write and find encouragement from them too.

Thank you for your story.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jun-18-08, 15:40
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

this is so beautiful Liz...thanks for sharing.

I am so frigging happy for you!! 180 here you come!!

Getting rid of that daily cocktail was huge for you and it's shown you that you don't need it.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jun-18-08, 16:00

Plan:
Stats: 290/191/170 Male 74 inches
BF:
Progress: 83%

Wow! Congratulations! That was quite the thing to read. I'm a real manly fellow, so I don't cry.

Hey, why's the air so dusty in here? Oh, looks like a little bit got in my eyes.

I can't believe how frustrating that must have been.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jun-18-08, 18:02
Registered Member

Plan: Neocarnivore
Stats: 375/345/250 Male 74 inches
BF:
Progress: 24%

Liz, you know I am pleased with your weightloss, but now I am even more pleased to know about you as a person. Thank you for sharing your story.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jun-18-08, 18:49

Plan: No processed foods
Stats: 247.6/232.8/150 Female 5'5"
BF:yes
Progress: 15%

That is an incredible story. I hope everyone that feels frustrated with the rate of their weight loss reads this. You have really helped to put things in perspective. Congratulations on all of your victories, and after reading this, there have been many.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jun-18-08, 19:46

Plan: ZC
Stats: 260/222/170 Male 5-10
BF:Huh?
Progress: 42%

Liz, that's one of the neatest things I've read in a long, long time.

Let me ask you this; your doc was LC friendly from the beginning? How did you luck into finding him?
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jun-18-08, 20:30
Dazed and Confused

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 170/132/135 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 109%

I'm totally blown away by your story. You are such a kick-ass woman and I never would have dreamt in a million years that you were anything but strong and self-possessed.

Here's to 165. *raises glass*
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jun-18-08, 21:10

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Tears, just tears. So happy for you!

Janine
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jun-18-08, 22:06
Getting Healthy!

Plan: General LC
Stats: 213/169/166 Female 5' 8.5"
BF:
Progress: 94%

That's a beautiful and motivating story, LessLiz. Thanks for sharing it with us and congratulations on your success.

#12   ^
Old Wed, Jun-18-08, 22:27
Registered Member

Plan: protein power
Stats: 202/197/180 Female 5feet 6inches
BF:
Progress: 23%

Congratulations!!!
And Thank you! you are an inspiration!!!
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jun-18-08, 22:34
I've decided

Plan: LC
Stats: 235/137.6/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:haven't a clue
Progress: 93%

Wow...

I got teary reading this too. What an amazing story.

Very glad you wrote this so we could share in the excitement. Thank you

This has got to be the most wonderful feeling ever, after working so hard and dealing with all that frustration along the way.

Congratulations on your fantastic success!
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Jun-19-08, 03:00
Walk in sunshine

Plan: LC'ing in Asia
Stats: 271/222/199 Female 5'1
BF:
Progress: 68%

Thank you for sharing.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Jun-19-08, 04:43

Plan: Atkins (veteran)
Stats: 321/206.2/160 Female 5'4"
BF:new scale :(
Progress: 71%

Oh Liz!!!!

I'm sitting here with tears streaming down my face. I'm so happy for you!

I feel honoured that you shared that with us.

(((((Liz)))))