Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#1096   ^
Old Thu, Apr-23-15, 08:24

Plan: IF dairy-free keto ish
Stats: 175/175/170 Male 71
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
WOW, many thanks, they ARE BACK!
Anyone interested SAVE what you need now. And to any member here I recently sent five key documents...there are MORE documents on his site, things like Mindful Meditation not so critical to how to do a IDM fast plan. https://intensivedietarymanagement....ient-resources/

Wonder if he did get so many requests from the Diabetes Summit (which btw, is also still there if you saved the direct link ) or because of today's LLVLC podcast. Whatever...great news.

For those (like me ) who ignored this advice the first time, archive.org has copies: https://web.archive.org/web/2014090...ient-resources/
Sponsored Links
  #1097   ^
Old Thu, Apr-23-15, 08:29

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Thought he said that whatever was up on DietDoctor before the launch of the Subscription service would remain there forever free. I still haven't signed up just because busy with other things right now; thought the new interviews were new ones from the South Africian conference? Will check later, thanks, Glenda!
  #1098   ^
Old Thu, Apr-23-15, 08:30

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkor
For those (like me ) who ignored this advice the first time, archive.org has copies: https://web.archive.org/web/2014090...ient-resources/

The internet is a scary place...I don't think I even want to know how that works
  #1099   ^
Old Thu, Apr-23-15, 11:24

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 164/162.6/151 Female 5'3"
BF:Sure is
Progress: 11%

Hi everyone

I am beginning IF today. I think it won't be a huge change, as I usually don't eat until 2 p.m. or so...but I usually have a snack around midnight, so that'll have to stop. Incorrigible night owl here! Anyway, shooting for an 8 hour eating window.

I have been reading back...this thread is so jam-packed with information, it's taking a long time! I'm thinking I'll start with page 1 and try to read a page a day or more.

Originally Posted by kirkor

Thank you kirkor for posting this link. I have transferred most of it to my first journal page for future reference. I started a new section just for Dr. Fung.

#1100   ^
Old Thu, Apr-23-15, 11:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Dr Eenfeldt (DietDoctor's)One month free trial, then $9 month
That's a little steep IMO. I can see wanting to be paid for your work, but...if he has 2,000 paid members, that's $216,000 a year to write a blog? IDK, maybe I'm looking at it wrong. I'm not all that familiar with his site, only skimmed it a week ago or so. Somebody clue me in.
  #1101   ^
Old Thu, Apr-23-15, 11:50
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonwtwindo
That's a little steep IMO. I can see wanting to be paid for your work, but...if he has 2,000 paid members, that's $216,000 a year to write a blog? IDK, maybe I'm looking at it wrong. I'm not all that familiar with his site, only skimmed it a week ago or so. Somebody clue me in.

I'm a technogeek. I'll try to explain without being technical, but that's difficult.

All the stuff you don't see when you go to a website has to be paid for, the buying of the domain, the hosting, the creation and maintenance of the website, but that isn't very expensive. Once you start to sell something and have memberships, that costs as well. The bigger your business grows, the less likely it is that you can do everything for yourself, so you have to hire staff. Good technical staff costs about $80 an hour or more. This isn't your grandson's garage stuff. However, having watched his videos, I think those probably cost a good bit to produce. If you've watched Dr. Fung's videos, you've seen what a bad video looks like. The one's DietDr is making have good production value. That costs more than just turning on a camcorder and letting it run.

I don't mind people making money for their work, in this case, the aggregation of the best and brightest LCHF minds. We all deserve to be paid for our work and I don't begrudge a penny. I'm just wondering if he will be able to offer a product (the subscription) worth coming back to every day. Fresh information, not what we already know. People to tell us in layman's terms what new medical breakthroughs might be on the horizon to help us.
  #1102   ^
Old Thu, Apr-23-15, 12:06

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonwtwindo
In addition to what Glenda said, websites can't steal content under copyright, they have to pay the owner; occasionally owners will allow content to appear on free sites, but not paid subscription sites.

People pay $9 for Netflix to turn them into couch potatoes, why not $9 for health and getting off pharmaceuticals that probably cost more or much more than $9 a month? I used to spend ~$50/mo on Claritan+Sudafed+Advil to be able to breathe and relieve painful joints.

The content on the public site will stay there and more will be added for all to watch for free. The paying members will get more, including videos and responses to their questions.

Last edited by deirdra : Thu, Apr-23-15 at 12:17.
  #1103   ^
Old Thu, Apr-23-15, 12:36
Registered Member

Plan: low insulin load
Stats: 105/95.4/96 Male 186
BF:
Progress:
Default optimising nutrition, managing insulin

I came across this thread checking out where the traffic was coming from and wanted to say hi.

I'm so buzzed that people have found the info on the site useful.

The document was just something that I put together to try to work ideas through in my head and bounce them off people. I would still love feedback and thoughts on how we could make it more useful.

I've set up the blog to try and share the info in bite sized chunks at https://optimisingnutrition.wordpress.com/

I've broken the main document into blog posts at https://optimisingnutrition.wordpre...-insulin-index/

Summary articles are at https://optimisingnutrition.wordpre.../22/articles-2/

And the full mainifesto document is at https://optimisingnutrition.wordpress.com/manifesto/

I am really excited about some ideas that are coming together ranking foods based on nutrition and the insulin index. I think it makes the theory a little more practical.

Anyway, cheers, and thanks for the positive feedback. No one has shot it down in flames yet which is encouraging.

Marty
  #1104   ^
Old Thu, Apr-23-15, 12:51
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%
Default Thank you, Marty

Wow! Welcome Marty. We are a group doing all we can to "fix" our insulin resistance, so we are so grateful that you're sharing the fruits of all your research.

Thanks so much.
  #1105   ^
Old Thu, Apr-23-15, 13:22

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty kend
I am really excited about some ideas that are coming together ranking foods based on nutrition and the insulin index. I think it makes the theory a little more practical.
Marty
Welcome, Marty! You've done a great job of pulling together many of the ideas we've been having, and all in one place, with links or citations for all the sources. It was a wake-up call when I heard Dr. Jason Fung say, in videos from the Diabetes Summit and his website, that high BG is merely a symptom of T2 Diabetes and Insulin Resistance and we should be focusing on the root cause, insulin, not glucose. A "Doh!" moment, as Homer Simpson would say, since it has been implicit since Joslin discovered insulin. Since we cannot measure insulin at home, the insulin index and load are the next best thing!

It is quite eery to see your rankings of the insulin index and insulin load for specific foods, since my 15-yr n=1 study, where I've meticulously tracked and tweaked all of my LCHF foods, has led me to the same place. The higher the insulin load, the more likely I'll get niggling little stomach twinges (micro hunger pangs?) that get me thinking about food or snacks again only 2 hrs after a meal (e.g. dairy, spinach, ham trigger them). While a meal with the same calories and macronutrients, with only one item switched for one with a lower insulin load will leave me perfectly satisfied with no thoughts of food for 6 hrs. I even notice a difference in satiety between halibut and whitefish.

As a scientist I love graphs and tables of data and your manifesto makes it easier to choose between similar foods in stores and restaurants.

Last edited by deirdra : Thu, Apr-23-15 at 15:06.
  #1106   ^
Old Thu, Apr-23-15, 16:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesinger
All the stuff you don't see when you go to a website has to be paid for I get all that, my son has worked building websites for video game companies, including updating information and making videos
I don't mind people making money for their work, Me either, just seems out of line for a monthly rate, compared to other online subscriptions
in this case, the aggregation of the best and brightest LCHF minds. Ok, didn't know this
I'm just wondering if he will be able to offer a product (the subscription) worth coming back to every day. for Fresh information, not what we already know. This was my question, really...and is this going to be worth $108 a year?

#1107   ^
Old Thu, Apr-23-15, 16:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by deirdra
why not $9 for health and getting off pharmaceuticals that probably cost more or much more than $9 a month? Well, I took myself off Metformin just by going LC...and the others after researching kidney disease...Just saying, you don't need a subscription to a blog to do that. The paying members will get more, including videos and responses to their questions. Ok...This makes more sense. The question-answering alone could take up a lot of time. Thank you!

#1108   ^
Old Thu, Apr-23-15, 21:26

Plan: Banting
Stats: 150/132/132 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Marty! Welcome to the Active Low-carber forums! Big thanks to Janet (JEY100), who is constantly "mining" the web for nuggets of useful information to share with us.
  #1109   ^
Old Thu, Apr-23-15, 21:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicekitty
Big thanks to Janet (JEY100), who is constantly "mining" the web for nuggets of useful information to share with us.

Agree...aren't we the lucky ones?!
  #1110   ^
Old Fri, Apr-24-15, 02:38

Plan: lchf + if
Stats: 230/169/130 Female 5' 5-1/2"
BF:
Progress: 61%

Update on my recent post, for truth in advertising .... so those fifteen pounds I lost in just about as many days, well no dice, the joke goes bust, must have been something loose in the scale, because its only a few days later and I'm back to where I started before embarking upon the intermittent fasting thing. Or else all it took was to eat normally (= normal Atkins - low carb) for a few days and regain everything ? Might have worked better if I'd just fasted for four days straight, or for a month or a year ... It's surely very effective for insulin control to stop eating all together forever, but dare I state this obvious, this is not a feasible ""*Way-of-Life*"" for the long-term.
Closed Thread