Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-29-12, 09:14

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 301/275/180 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 21%
Default Question about your kids, their diets, and how LCers should go about it.

I don't have kids.. yet. I hope to have them at some point in the future.

Most people worry about what kind of parents they are going to be (I do, of course) and things like that, but I mostly worry about how I'm going to feed them and how to keep them from becoming obese.

My own mother believed in the "finish everything on your plate" ideal with 'balanced' meals according to societal norms. Clearly, this didn't work out for me because I started my obesity journey at about 12. She did try to keep us away from soda and sugar the best she could, but I remember sneaking it to an insane extent throughout my childhood. Take school, for example; if you don't like what your parents packed for you, it's very easy to get nasty crap from the cafeteria.

In the future, I would like to find some kind of happy medium with my kids. I intend on cooking for them as much as possible and making my meals low carb/high vegetable but creative and tasty. I know it's still going to be difficult showing them the best way of eating that will help them become lean, mean adults in the real world.

I often wonder - how do carb conscious parents feed their kids these days? How do they show them that high sugar/high carb foods should be treats, not a regular part of their diets? Should we be pushing our LC ideals on them if they are perfectly healthy running on a higher carbohydrate diet? They are likely to develop our intolerances... but what if they don't??

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Feb-29-12, 19:56

Plan: LC Paleo
Stats: 211/177/140 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 48%

I would never tell anyone what to do with their kids, but I will share what works right not in our house. My 1 year old eats pretty much what I do, plus some milk and the occasional tortilla chip. He loves meat and veggies! My 6 year old eats pretty much what I do, but I don't put any rules on what he eats outside the home. The plan is to this summer clean up his diet and start packing lunches next school year. I think that by then the novelty of school lunch will have worn off. You didn't say anything about a significant other, but mine is decidedly in the standard american diet camp, despite being gluten sensitive. He eats what he wants.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Mar-01-12, 13:47
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Timely topic. Mary Eades just posted about the subject: Here
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Mar-02-12, 09:38

Plan: low-carb/high-fat
Stats: 324/184/150 Female 5.5 feet
BF:
Progress: 80%

I don't have kids yet (cooking my first right now!), but I plan to feed them low-carb at home. I don't believe ANYONE, even healthy normal-weight people, really needs grains or many starchy veggies or sweets. Juice will not be a normal staple in our home, and rice cereal will not be my baby's first food. Cheerios will not be a typical snack, and mac and cheese will not become a frequent lunch...you get the idea.

That said, I don't want my kids to FEEL extremely restricted or abnormal in any way, so what they eat outside of the home won't be as strictly monitored. I don't want them to not be able to go have pizza with their friends or go out for ice cream after a sporting event or whatever.

I think it will be a relatively tough balance, but I think it's worth a shot. Especially since I have type 2 diabetes, my parents have type 2 diabetes, my husband's grandmother has type 2 diabetes...
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Mar-03-12, 06:39
Dr. Atkins was Right

Plan: Atkins (Breastfeeding)
Stats: 221/188.6/150 Female 64.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 46%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJkate83

Most people worry about what kind of parents they are going to be ... but I mostly worry about how I'm going to feed them and how to keep them from becoming obese.

My own mother believed in the "finish everything on your plate" ideal with 'balanced' meals according to societal norms. Clearly, this didn't work out for me....

In the future, I would like to find some kind of happy medium with my kids....

I often wonder - how do carb conscious parents feed their kids these days? How do they show them that high sugar/high carb foods should be treats, not a regular part of their diets? Should we be pushing our LC ideals on them if they are perfectly healthy running on a higher carbohydrate diet? They are likely to develop our intolerances... but what if they don't??

Hi, MJ!

These are great questions. And like raven132, I can't tell you what to do; I can only share what works right now for us. There is no One True LC Parenting Way.

I don't insist that kiddo and hubby eat low carb--I just insist that anything I cook, I be able to eat! And since I do most of the cooking, it works out.

Two exceptions to that:
  • Once or twice a month, I'll have an entry on the meal plan that says "Mac n Cheese/Jen ad lib." They love that silly boxed mac n cheese, and it's cheap and easy to make. So I give them a treat (and myself a break) and make it for them, while I cobble together some healthy leftovers for me. (Lately, though, more and more of that mac n cheese has gone uneaten....)
  • The toddler gets a cup of sugar-laden chocolate milk several nights a week, and sometimes I make it for her. I'm getting more and more horrified at what we're teaching her with this; I plan on trying my hand at making a sugar-free version after this batch gets used up!
We let the child have French fries, and share root beer floats with Daddy, and all sorts of objectionable things. But we also set limits on how often we do that. We never insist that she clean her plate, she and I are doing extended breastfeeding, and she has a long list of veggies that she likes. (One of her favorite snacks is black olives.)

So far her meats are bacon, sausage, chicken, and fish, with only an occasional willingness to eat beef. But we'll get there.

Too early to tell what we'll do about school lunches, since the regulations on those keep changing. We kind of focus on keeping her eating now, and we'll worry about later when it gets here.

But when you have a 2-yr-old who sits in her high chair and proclaims, "I lo-o-ve celery!" (over and over and over again), I figure you're probably doing something right!
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Mar-03-12, 20:31

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frugal Jen
The toddler gets a cup of sugar-laden chocolate milk several nights a week, and sometimes I make it for her. I'm getting more and more horrified at what we're teaching her with this; I plan on trying my hand at making a sugar-free version after this batch gets used up!

I've had cravings for chocolate milk during my pregnancy, and a lower-sugar alternative I've found is So Delicious brand chocolate coconut milk - it comes in individual little cartons like juice boxes. It still has some sugar, but definitely less than regular chocolate milk, coming in at 9g total carbs (1g fiber) per individual box. Just a suggestion
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Mar-04-12, 09:05
Dr. Atkins was Right

Plan: Atkins (Breastfeeding)
Stats: 221/188.6/150 Female 64.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 46%

Thanks, Jill, sounds delicious! I'm the type to try the DIY route first, but I'll definitely take a look at these!
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Mar-04-12, 09:41
Experimenter

BF:

As far as treats are concerned, I wonder if using sweets as treats or a reward is perhaps the best idea. That kind of thing can make one obsess on them... like my cat obsesses on treats. He'll do anything for them. Including nagging me all the time! There might be some value to never training your child to have a sweet tooth. Then when they are exposed to sweets later on they won't really like them so much.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Mar-04-12, 17:22

Plan: general LC
Stats: 191/140/133 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 88%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
There might be some value to never training your child to have a sweet tooth. Then when they are exposed to sweets later on they won't really like them so much.

I agree with this. My little man has only just begun his foray into the world of solid foods, but eats most everything with gusto. For the most part he gets only meats and fats that he can feed to himself, but the couple times he's had peaches or apricots he really liked them too. Fruit is going to be reserved for special occasions if at all, I'd rather his palate NOT develop a fond taste for sweet things.

Little man and papa both eat what I eat, unless we go out which isn't very often.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Mar-07-12, 09:26

Stats: 301/275/180 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 21%

THANK YOU for all of your amazing responses and it has definitely given me a great array of ideas. I wasn't really looking for a "this is what you should do!" kind of response, more of some ideas for when I do approach the issue. It was weighing heavily on my mind because I am considering having kids.

I will likely do low carb/low sugar for my children while trying to cater to their likes & dislikes.. and allow them to eat what they want when they are out in the world. I can't imagine imposing a "no cake at birthday parties" or "no pizza for my kids!" (unless of course there are severe allergies involved). I think that would alienate them from the other children and probably make them rebellious/sneaky in their eating habits.

I know my biggest goal is to keep them active in sports and activities. That should hopefully counteract the bad eating habits they will develop throughout life. I just hope that I will be able to keep them healthy in adolescence so they know what is the right way to eat and love it.

Sorry I didn't respond sooner - my laptop broke and I had to get it fixed.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Mar-07-12, 14:36

Stats: 278/215/180 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 64%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
As far as treats are concerned, I wonder if using sweets as treats or a reward is perhaps the best idea. That kind of thing can make one obsess on them... like my cat obsesses on treats. He'll do anything for them. Including nagging me all the time! There might be some value to never training your child to have a sweet tooth. Then when they are exposed to sweets later on they won't really like them so much.

I agree with this. My parents never rewarded us with food. Whatever mistakes they made with us growing up, our diet was certainly not one of them. We always got rewarded with money. Extra allowance was the thing. But growing up I always had a huge sweet tooth. We never had white sugar, refined grains, in fact rice was really the only starch we ate on a regular basis. We did eat honey on a regular basis and when we lived in the Philippines it was panocha, a brown hard sugar from sugar cane that had to be melted down into a syrup. I have no idea how refined it is but I don't think it was much if at all. Being from HI, we would also get the occasional piece of sugar cane to chew on as a treat. We never ate sugary commercial candy but I wouldn't say that we were always deprived of anything sweet tasting. It was a rare occurrence but we did have it on occasion.

But anytime I could get my hands on candy (always behind my parents back of course) I would. I don't know if it's genetic or just that fact that not having it meant I wanted it all the time or maybe it was just me being a normal kid. When I do have kids I know how to feed them right. What I'm not sure of is how to keep candy and sugar away from them without causing them to obsess over it like I did.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Mar-08-12, 07:07

BF:

I agree that using sweets as reqrds is a bad idea, and I won't do it, but others will, which is scary. Even just in schools, whenever my class had something to celebrate, it was with a pizza party, ice cream party, cupcakes, pieces of candy for a perfect score on a test, etc. Even if we, as parents, don't introduce this type of reward system, I fear there's not much way to avoid it.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Mar-08-12, 09:25
Experimenter

BF:

I wonder if you can talk to the school about it and suggest it is a bad idea? Maybe it's about time parents speak up about schools giving their kids foods they shouldn't have.

Last edited by Nancy LC : Thu, Mar-08-12 at 09:32.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Apr-23-12, 16:00

Plan: Depends on the Day
Stats: 221/169.6/145 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 68%

I spoke with my sons pre-school teacher about her giving the kids candy as a reward. My son is a normal 4 yr old and doesn't sit still for long hates "quiet time" and doesn't want to stand in line perfectly. LOL! She started giving him candy to achieve her behavior goal, and I must say, it has helped. But, after school on his "well behaved" days, he comes home with candy and tells me how good he was at school. I can't take it away from him, that would be mean so I let him have it.

I spoke with his teacher about it and she said all kids need a reward system and candy works well. I tried to explain the problems of rewarding kids with candy but it didn't help any. I may have well explained it to my 4 yr old, she was bound and determaned that it wouldn't hurt him to have a little candy. She wasn't seeing my point, I gave up. I don't want my son feeling left out because the other kids get candy at the end of the day so I shut my mouth. I can't control what goes on outside of the home, but I give the moderation approach at home.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Apr-26-12, 06:40

Plan: Kind of primal
Stats: 204/174/140 Female 163 cm
BF:
Progress: 47%

My kids are 5, 7 and 9 and largely eat what I do. They have more fruit and the occasional scoop of mashed potato or rice alongside what we're having for dinner. They are allowed to spend their pocket money on sweets if they want (we give them free rein but do gently provide advice as to which treats are healthier) and my mother seems to have decided her purpose in life is to try and stuff sugar down their throats. But for the most part their diet is healthy and based around fats, meats and veggies. Oh and millions of eggs!!!
Thankfully little one's school provides fruit or veg as a snack and all the children's schools use a card system for rewards. They also get raffle tickets as rewards which are drawn at the end of the week with the winner getting to choose from things like a small toy, or 10 minutes extra play outside for the whole class.