Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Dec-25-12, 08:13

Plan: atkins
Stats: 230/214/165 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 25%

I make good meals for the family. I include carbier sides for hubby and kiddo but I put a limit on kiddo's portion sizes and have repeatedly told her what are 'good foods' that you can eat alot, and what are 'limited foods' that are meant to be portion controlled and not to overeat.

I have snack cakes in the house and all that for school. It is limited also.

I try to tell her there is tons of food out there. on every corner. in every store. every drive thru. every vending machine. SHE must control the quality and intake of her food because there is tons of nasty/empty calorie foods out there that will make her super obese.

I tell her like it is. explain the good foods and why they are good. explain the 'occasional' foods because of ingredients etc. and super nasty like sugar frankensnacks are very limited.

she is 7 and she understands. she won't be overweight because I am arming her with everything she needs to know.

Neglect. criminal neglect when I see parents have 80 lb overweight kids at such super young ages. drives me nuts. don't get me started LOL
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Dec-26-12, 12:27
Registered Member

Plan: FatHead
Stats: 267/185/175 Male 71"
BF:
Progress: 89%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
Fortunately since then our schools adopted a new program and NO cupcakes are allowed any more. Fruit cups, apples or pencils are allowed on the last Thursday of the month to celebrate birthdays.

Our school has a "healthy" food policy, and no homemade foods are allowed, pre-packaged, pre-portioned foods only. Most of the time that gets ignored.. but I don't want to set that example for my kids.
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Jan-02-13, 15:10
CherryCola

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

I'm very fortunate because my kids seem to prefer healthier foods as opposed to myself who was happily raised on Twinkies, Kool-aid, and Lays potato chips! That "ketchup is a veggie" era! I try not to restrict much of anything but seriously limit the opportunities for access to junk food in the house.
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Jan-02-13, 21:09

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandltp
Our school has a "healthy" food policy, and no homemade foods are allowed, pre-packaged, pre-portioned foods only. Most of the time that gets ignored.. but I don't want to set that example for my kids.

Oh dear, it is NOT ignored at our schools, It is a handout at the begging of the school year, every year. Teachers can get around it for learning purposes though. Son had skiddles after a math project. Maybe someday sugar will be viewed as a poison and this nonsense will stop.

Rules are only as good as they are enforced. All food must be reviewed because of all the kids with food allergies. At the meetings, someone could name a person allergic to the food. Prepackaged foods list all the ingredients so we can keep those kids safer. Bus drivers are not allowed to handout food either-- no eating on the buses. Period.

Now to get recess back.