Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Oct-30-07, 08:49

Plan: atkins
Stats: 180.5/180.5/135.0 Female 60
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Breastfeeding and hungry all the time

My son is 12 wks old and I am breastfeeding, I am hungry all the time, I have gained weight instead of lost and my appetite is outrageous, I thought about doing phentermine but don't know how it will affect my baby so I thought I would low carb anyone else with this delimma
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Oct-30-07, 09:05

Plan: modified atkins
Stats: 173.8/173.8/140 Female 5'7"
BF:jig/ggg/lee

i've seen at least one other breastfeeding mom on here.....i would just be careful with adjusting your diet & your milk production....it also depends on whether you are bf exclusively or not....i also was STARVING when i bf - i ate way more than when i was pregnant --

-something to think about, make sure you aren't eating junk - the better the foods in your body, the better the quality of your milk...

i breastfed my son for two years (just stopped in august) and i know i waited to start dieting until i was done, but that was my choice...

here's the article i found on kellymom (one of the best sites on bf)
http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/mom/mom-lowcarb.html
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Oct-30-07, 09:26

BF:

thanks, I am supplementing with formula because my son seems to be on the breast all the time and by the end of the day I feel that there is nothing left for him, and I also work 4 nights a week so my husband feeds him formula when he wakes during the night, I wanted to BF exclusively but like I said some days I feel like I 'm not producing enough...
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Oct-30-07, 09:40

Plan: modified atkins
Stats: 173.8/173.8/140 Female 5'7"
BF:jig/ggg/lee

i understand....something that i always kept in the back of my mind was the more you feed, the more you will produce...your body should figure out how much your child is eating and will produce that much, so remember if you are supplementing - that is one feeding less that your body thinks your child is eating & will produce less the next days (unless you are pumping at missed feedings)

--i would really just google it and see what your options are....and the weight might take awhile to fall off - remember that it took you 9 months to gain it, it can take 9+ months to lose it ----- those skinny celeb moms aren't normal!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Oct-30-07, 12:16

BF:

THanks for the encouragement, thats why i'm here....
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Nov-01-07, 22:14
Hello

Plan: Modified Ketogenic
Stats: 182/180/145 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 5%

I am a nursing mom who is starving all the time too! Once I delivered, I became a bottomless pit. I have a great milk supply, so maybe it's just all that milk production that makes your body demand more, more, more! lol

I jumped back on the low-carb deal a week ago, and have lost 3 pounds so far and I am still hungry a lot, and I still eat a lot (like Atkins says, if you're hungry, EAT!).

Good luck

Oh - and I second the pp, definitely pump when you miss a feeding - it will really help your milk supply, plus then your baby can drink your milk when you are away instead of formula.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Nov-02-07, 08:45

BF:

well i'm going on day 4 and I've lost 4 lbs, i'm so happy, but still worried about my milk supply, and my baby seems to be more fussy, extremely fussy in the evening, could it be the change in my diet??
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Nov-02-07, 09:43
muscle bound

Plan: Lyle's PSMF
Stats: 226/150/135 Female 5'7.5"
BF:46/20/sliced
Progress: 84%

Any way you could get him off the formula? Exclusive breastmilk will probably help with the fussiness. The kellymom site posted above is a wealth of information on how to keep milk supply up, etc.

As for the hunger, heck yeah! Your milk supply is peaking right around the 3 month mark, and appetite will be high. Try to focus on protein, fat and veggies first, filling in any gaps with whatever else you want. Protein is very satiating, fat comes second, both will help keep your supply up.

Around 6 months, things begin to level off so your appetite should stabilize.

I would suggest you DON'T take any phenteramine, dexatrim, nothing like that. No thermogenics or appetite suppressants--you don't want that stuff in your milk.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Nov-02-07, 10:45

BF:

sometimes when i do pump, I feel like i'm taking away from his feeding if I freeze it, when he gets fussy at the breast i feel that there is nothing there for him, i would love to be able to pump and put the milk back for my husband to feed him while I'm working, but i'can't pump enough to last so we resort to formula