Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Apr-05-09, 10:08

Plan: My Way.
Stats: 178/173/140 Female 63 inches.
BF:
Progress: 13%
Default Zero Exercise

I don't do any 'proper' exercise, I do my housework, walk to the local shops & a little gardening. I know I am lazy but what the heck. Several years ago I joined a gym, stuck it for 3 years, really just to please a friend but in the end end ... the boredom was just too much.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Apr-05-09, 21:00

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Being lazy means not doing all the things you listed. Since you do all of that and probably more, I'd hardly call you lazy.

We don't have to huff and puff to call it exercise. Walking to the shops, i.e. shopping is exercise, it's just much more fun that's all. Gardening and housework, those are fun too with the right perspective. But lifting objects then putting them back exactly where we picked them up without having performed any productive work whatsoever? That's gotta be really boring after about five minutes. That's partly why I don't take more than about 5 minutes to do my exercise.

Don't sweat it. Doing stuff for a purpose, i.e. housework and stuff, used to be regarded as the right thing to do.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Apr-06-09, 03:01

BF:

Ah, thank you, I think I am only 'lazy' when it comes to what other people think of as 'proper' exercise. The gym, jogging & so on. A couple of weeks ago an acquaintance told me her doctor in Australia had advised her that the best exercise was to jog on the spot - naked in front of a full length mirror!!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Apr-06-09, 06:42

Plan: quasi paleo + starch
Stats: 153/148/118 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 14%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuttygran

...A couple of weeks ago an acquaintance told me her doctor in Australia had advised her that the best exercise was to jog on the spot - naked in front of a full length mirror!!

Well, that sounds to me like a fail proof way to lose one's appetite for a long while.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Apr-06-09, 09:13

BF:

Agreed, plus my cat would leave home! I think I shall just stick to low carbs..
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Apr-07-09, 22:30

BF:

Charles over at Zeroing in on Health is now at the GCBC chapter on hunger. It also talks a bit about exercise and its role in weight control. Here's the link:

http://forum.zeroinginonhealth.com/...ad.php?tid=1762
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Apr-08-09, 06:47

BF:

If anyone likes to exercise or if one is athletic and enjoys being so that's fine.
I can't help thinking that forcing oneself to do so, can only do harm. No matter what the 'experts' say..
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Apr-09-09, 10:48
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 240/140/136 Female 6'.0"
BF:
Progress:

Yes I think that as long as you are active that is sufficient to burn up those calories
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Apr-14-09, 05:15
Registered Member

Plan: no
Stats: 160/162/130 Female 165cm
BF:
Progress:

Haha! I agree that as long as you are active that is sufficient to burn up those calories, because I am lazy to do more exercise too.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Apr-14-09, 06:30

Plan: Atkins / M&E
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress:

Hahn makes a very good argument in "Slow Burn Fitness" that walking is basically a waste of time, and of course Taubes in GCBC talks about why exercise won't help your weight loss plans that much. But all that said, I think pretty much everyone agrees that at a minimum we simply MUST do some kind of weight training, particularly as we age and we start to seriously lose muscle mass. There are some really convincing studies I've read that indicate most of what we consider the "infirmities" of old age are actually the result of the loss of muscle mass, the loss of sufficient muscular development to get through day-to-day activities.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Apr-14-09, 07:57

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairballz
[...]There are some really convincing studies I've read that indicate most of what we consider the "infirmities" of old age are actually the result of the loss of muscle mass, the loss of sufficient muscular development to get through day-to-day activities.

In my opinion, muscle loss is due to a high carb diet. Since the OP eats a low carb diet, thus a nutritionally complete diet, she shouldn't be concerned with muscle loss even in old age.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Apr-16-09, 06:01

Plan: low carb
Stats: 173/135.8/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 87%

Quote:

But lifting objects then putting them back exactly where we picked them up without having performed any productive work whatsoever?

It depends on what you feel is productive. For me it is productive to have strong bones and muscles. And when I look at women who weight train, compared to those who don't....I see lots of reasons to lift heavy "objects" and put them back down exactly where we picked them up. It's clearly not for everybody.

http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/fitover50/ She is 57 years old. Look at other 57 year old women who don't weight train and see if you see anything productive in what she's doing.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Apr-16-09, 06:19

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by galatia
It depends on what you feel is productive. For me it is productive to have strong bones and muscles. And when I look at women who weight train, compared to those who don't....I see lots of reasons to lift heavy "objects" and put them back down exactly where we picked them up. It's clearly not for everybody.

http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/fitover50/ She is 57 years old. Look at other 57 year old women who don't weight train and see if you see anything productive in what she's doing.

Certainly, I agree. But the context of the OP's post was boredom and exercise. There is no question that exercise is boring.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Apr-16-09, 07:39

Plan: low carb
Stats: 173/135.8/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 87%

Quote:
Certainly, I agree. But the context of the OP's post was boredom and exercise.
Yes, you are right. Still for others who may be reading here and trying to decide whether it's worth the effort, I must say:

How you take care of your body, or fail to take care of it, can make an enormous difference in the quality of your life.

Seems like putting up with a little "boredom" now is well worth not having to put up with even worse boredom later when your body has deteriorated to the point of not being able to enjoy life.

Taking a bath and brushing our teeth aren't real exciting, but it's somethings most of us feel are worth doing.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Jun-25-09, 09:51

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 188/183/165 Female 5 feet 8 inches
BF:Lots
Progress: 22%

Quote:
Originally Posted by galatia
Yes, you are right. Still for others who may be reading here and trying to decide whether it's worth the effort, I must say:

How you take care of your body, or fail to take care of it, can make an enormous difference in the quality of your life.

Seems like putting up with a little "boredom" now is well worth not having to put up with even worse boredom later when your body has deteriorated to the point of not being able to enjoy life.

Taking a bath and brushing our teeth aren't real exciting, but it's somethings most of us feel are worth doing.

Do you have suggestions for a good strength training routine? I, like NG, do not like any form of exercise. But, alas, I DO agree with you about loss of muscle tone. I've been LC 5 years, and even so, I have seem my muscle tone weaken. So - suggestions for something easy, but worth the effort???