Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Feb-04-02, 05:41

Plan: general low carb
Stats: 143/131/121
BF:
Progress: 55%
Question yoga question

Hello,

I started doing yoga every morning and noticed my weight started going up. Could it possibly be muscle increase after 2 weeks of yoga? I probably need to add here I'm doind David Svenson's Ashtanga. What a brilliant way or working out! Especially if done in the morning, it just fills you with all the energy.

Still, gaining weight is a bit frustrating.

Is there anyone here who also does yoga and experienced the same weight gain at the beginning?

And can I do Protein Power (I've been thinking to switching to this plan for some time now) combining it with Ashtanga (instead of weight lifting)?

Thank you

Ella
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Feb-04-02, 10:33

Plan: Schwarzbein prin
Stats: 158/155/120
BF:
Progress:

Ella-
I am by no means an expert about yoga, but I have been doing it for 3 yrs. now. I do believe that it promotes muscle 'building' for lack of a better word. Done regularly, in the Ashtanga style, as you mentioned, it can give me as good muscle tone as lifting weights. BUT, it does seem to be a DIFFERENT type of muscle--longer and leaner looking, more like a dancer or something. I do lose slowly, BUT, I do notice I get smaller. Haven't been on the scale in eons (scales make me crazy) but when doing yoga as I've done lately- regularly- I do get SMALLER.
I pay little attn. to the scale. I know it matters a lot for some people, but I like measurements more, and my reflection in the mirror to tell me how I'm doing.
It may slow your wt. loss ON THE SCALE for a little while , but if you LIKE yoga (I love it) it does a body good. The ashtanga (flowing style) is a LOT more aerobic than anyone can imagine, also, wouldn't you say? Some more intermediate tapes that I bought lately (if you
re in pretty good shape- don't do more than you can-yoga is not a contest ) are Bryan Kest's power yoga and Living Arts now has a tape out called Intermediate yoga w/ Rodney Yee. They are TOUGH, but you still get the same effect- a good workout that leaves you stretched, worked, tingly, energetic, but strangely relaxed at the same time.
I know it's hard NOT to worry about the scale, but if you SEE changes, isn't that great too?
Be looking forward to seeing you post more about your yoga on this board!
yb
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Feb-05-02, 06:15

BF:
Smile

Hi, YogaBuff!

Thank you for your reply! I'm glad to find a yoga enthusiast like you on this site, as I'm turning to one myself now.

I used to go to yoga classes at my gym, but they were more for relaxation I guess, which is good as well, but I've always been more into high-power workouts involving lot of sweating. So I couldn't really get a knack of it at first. Once we had a different instructor and she made us work really hard, after this session I could feel every muscle in my body considering I had been doing regualr strenous workouts at the gym. I felt, as you said, stretched, tingly, energetic, but relaxed at the same time. She was practicing Ashtanga and suggested to get David Svenson's videos. Took me some time to get hold of them, as they are not sold in the shops, but in the end it was worth it. He gives just enough time for every pose, not too much not too little, just right which I guess is quite important when you do it on the video. After 10 minutes of it I feel like i'm doing a marathon (not that I've done one ). You are right saying yoga is not a contest, I have to learn that. After doing group spinning classes for 3 years (cycling on stationary bikes listening to great dance tracks and instructor loud cheering), where you can't help but pushing yourself over your limits, I've lost that inner control point where you know you should stop and take it easy. Doing the home video helps in some sense.

I'm going to listen to your advice and try to avoid scales for now. People around notice the difference and that's more important. But most of all, I feel really good and more in balance with myself, more comfortable in my body, which perhaps hasn't changed that much in such a short period of time, but at the end of the day, that's what I'm trying to achieve adopting this new WOL. And I like this feeling!

I'll keep you posted on how I'm getting on. Thank you again for the support
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Feb-06-02, 20:52

Plan: Schwarzbein prin
Stats: 158/155/120
BF:
Progress:

The classes I take once per wk. are also a little more for relaxation--meditative, I think she calls them. Slower movements, poses held longer,etc. I do like them, but need (for strength and toning, and also for a little aerobic effect) the more flowing vinyasa movements, where they have you go from one pose into another rather quickly, then do some strengthenign, then move on to the more cooling poses, like sitting forward bend, and twists. But, once a wk. or so, it's nice to do yoga WITH somebody. I'm the mother of teenage boys, who don't need me any more (just kidding) and a husband, so sometimes I feel very alone (esp. n the kitchen) and like a fish out of water. It's nice to be with people, doing something I like as much as yoga.

I would say weigh whenever you want, I just know that I cannot get on the scale very often. I can change so much from day to day, and things like soy sauce, or my monthly can really be depressing on the scale.

I'm going to have to look for David Svenson's tapes. Always looking for more challenging yoga!

yb
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Feb-08-02, 02:11

Plan: atkins
Stats: 206/193/138 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 19%

hello,

It sound like you are an expert at yoga can you recomend any tapes for begginers? I bought one and I think it may be too advanced for me.

Thanks TJ
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Feb-08-02, 07:10

Plan: My own
Stats: -/-/- Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 68%

Hi Ella -

Just to add to YogaBuff's fabulous (as always) advice...why don't you take some benchmark measurements...then, even if the scale goes up, you can see if you're losing inches. Then you know that weight is muscle!

Do measurements around your upper arm, around your chest under your armpits, bust, waist, hips (widest point), each thigh and calves. Be sure to always measure in the same place!

Lisa
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Feb-11-02, 04:17

BF:
Default Tapes

Yes, Yogabuff, I agree that it's always much more fun to do the group exercise. It's a good place to meet new people as well.

I'm so into my new video exercise now so I'm going to the gym only for the routine spinning classes or weights, I find yoga sessions their a bit slow and not hard enough, especially after a hard day at work I just fall asleep half way through on my mat to the great amusement of the rest, but that's perhaps becasue of my crazy working hours in the office. Can't do anything about that.

There's the David Svenson's website offering videos and books at different levels. http://www.ashtanga.net/ Mrsu, if you are interested in Ashtanga and want to stat practicing it the best video would be his 1st series, where he explains breathing, all the main movements including Sun Salutations at the beginning of the tape and then gives 1.5 hrs workout, which you can follow at your own pace. I also found the Short Forms video very useful as there are 3 workouts (15 min, 30 min and 45 min with 15 min deep relaxation), great if you are a busy body. The 30min practice is very good for beginners, as he gives an easier flow options from one pose to another.

Lisaf, thank you for your advise. I measured myself last week, so I hope to see some results soon.