Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Plan comparison
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-31-07, 11:07

Plan: -
Stats: -/-/- Female -
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Calorie Restriction

I don't really understand what this is, and I would like to know more about it. Does anyone here know the basic gist of it, and please don't post a bunch of articles on monkey testing.

Is it better/worse than a diet that consists of fatty meat, eggs, goat milk, butter, and occasional fruit?

I just don't see how intentional starving leads to a longer life. What is the biological explanation for evidence that supports this claim?

Lastly, I suppose it relies heavily on supplements and vitamin pills; this isn't natural like a diet that is high in fatty meat (that contains the majority of the body's needed nutrients), so I don't really understand how popping supplements every day is convenient, enjoyable, and makes one live longer. The only supplement I take is 1 tsp cod liver oil daily in lemon-water, but I don't take vitamin pills or any other type of supplement of any kind as well as medications, and I haven't gotten sick at all in the seven months I've been eating a diet high in fatty meat, though I have gained five lbs; previously, however, I hadn't been eating enough and I had poor skin.

Anyway, if someone could clear this up for me. Please don't post any articles on monkeys.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-31-07, 15:43
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:

The only member of this forum who follows CRON (as far as I know) is not a low carber, which is why you will only find him hanging out in the War Zone.

As there have been no studies done to compare LC with CRON, I don't see the point myself of going hungry just to possibly live longer, when low carbing is known to improve our health dramatically. I am VERY sure that those of us who are committed to a low carb way of eating will also live longer than the high carb eaters.

I can't help you with any biological evidence for the claims that CRONers make, but as I said, I don't see the point anyway.

Rosebud
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-31-07, 17:22
Registered Member

Plan: CRON / Zone
Stats: 118/110/110 Male 5ft 7"
BF:very low

Quote:
I don't really understand what this is, and I would like to know more about it. Does anyone here know the basic gist of it, and please don't post a bunch of articles on monkey testing.

It is a very simple idea. Eat less food, whichever food that is. That could mean for you to eat a bit less of the food on your low carb diet.

Quote:
I just don't see how intentional starving leads to a longer life. What is the biological explanation for evidence that supports this claim?

You don't want to read any studies, watch any videos? listen to some audio?
I can give you things to read but it sounds like you don't want that, and some of them include monkeys. You want human studies?

Quote:
Lastly, I suppose it relies heavily on supplements and vitamin pills;

If there is one thing that anyone CRer will stress is that you get all vitamins and minerals from food rather than supplements. I wont go into the detailed history of rodent experiments here, but the CR'd rodents fed standard chow and supplemented to make up for any nutritien shortages never lived long or poorly adapted to adult onset CR. Whereas the rodents fed a very high nutrient quality diet, with the need for very little supplements lived the longest and adapted very well... and ended up living extremely long lives (walford studies).

Quote:
this isn't natural like a diet that is high in fatty meat (that contains the majority of the body's needed nutrients),

Can you get 100% of the RDA of everything by drastically increasing your fat intake and lowering carb intake. I believe that where most of the nutrients are found is in sources that are mainly carbs. Plant food.

Quote:
Anyway, if someone could clear this up for me. Please don't post any articles on monkeys.

No monkeys above.

Last edited by Whoa182 : Wed, Jan-31-07 at 17:28.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-31-07, 17:25
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoa
Can you get 100% of the RDA of everything by drastically increasing your fat intake and lowering carb intake.

Yes. You can.
Lowering carb intake does not mean eating fewer vegetables, in fact it is quite the opposite for most low carbers.

Rosebud
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Feb-01-07, 18:38

Plan: -
Stats: -/-/- Female -
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoa182
Can you get 100% of the RDA of everything by drastically increasing your fat intake and lowering carb intake. I believe that where most of the nutrients are found is in sources that are mainly carbs. Plant food.

Actually, you can get the vast majority of vitamins/minerals/fatty acids in food that comes from animals. Liver and other internal organs are loaded with more vitamins/minerals than you'll ever need, and way more than any other food (especially plant food). Fatty meat (goose, duck, beef..) has most of your daily required nutrients jam packed right into the adipose tissue. Additionally, these nutrients (Fat soluble vitamins especially) require the presence of fat in the diet (and what better source than everything coming all from the same thing: fatty meat) to be absorbed by the body; no matter how many vitamins you ingest from plant food, supplements, whatever, if you don't have adequate fat intake, these nutrients (stressing fat soluble vitamins) will not be absorbed by your body and you will become malnourished.