Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Oct-07-05, 11:09

Plan: Atkins/M&E
Stats: 165/148/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 68%
Default Body for Life

Am nearing the end of my first week of Body for Life. I am logging meals into FitDay and am hitting around 750-850 for my calories. I know this is too low. However, I am not sure how to get them up and still try to stay in the 40/40/20 ratio. Any ideas? Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Oct-07-05, 12:57

Plan: NK-LCHF
Stats: 158.2/155.2/135 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 13%

You may want to use a metabolic calculator in any of the bodybuilding sites, like body building.com to get all your stats figured first.
Factors such as your lean body mass (LBM), your metabolic rates (active and resting) all come to play to get the ratios right. Your calories even for a resting person is starvation, and won't get you anywhere in the long run.
By any standard one should never go below the resting rate and if you are working out with weights and/or cardio you need to allow fuel for energy there too. Not cutting too drastically on the calories (250-300) below is best.

Good luck
bu

Lots of info on those sites though....check it out.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Oct-07-05, 15:12

Plan: Atkins/M&E
Stats: 165/148/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 68%

Thanks for your input. I did some calculating on the Hussman website. It says that I have a lean weight of 120 lbs and should be consuming between 1180-1620 calories in order to loose.

Body for Life says 40/40/20 ratios with 6 small meals per day. Each meal should have be a protein and a carb with vegies on 2/3 meals. I am trying to make sure that my carbs are low glycemic.

I am also doing 20 min. 3 times per week of HIIT cardio and 45 minutes 3 times per week of weight training.

I know I don't want to go below 1100/1200 calories but am unsure of what I can do to get them up.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Oct-07-05, 16:21

Plan: NK-LCHF
Stats: 158.2/155.2/135 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 13%

well considering that 1 g protein has 4 cal, 1 g of carbs 4 cal and 1 g of fat has 9 cal.

It is simply bigger protions of the right foods.

If you want to stay with 1200 cal....and a 40/40/20

you will need 480 cal from protein 120 grams
480 cal from carbs
240 cal from fats = 26 g

devide those in 6 equal protions of 200 cal each would be the perfect scenario to keep your energy up and avoid drop in sugar balance in your body, (although I really think you should up those calories when you combine it with workouts. But see what happens, if you lose more than a pd/week certainly up them. If you are losing a pd. then stick with it for a while. Then try and up them a bit later.)

Those 200 cal would look the same in ratios 40/40/20

80 cal from protein
80 from carbs
40 from fat

While using a program like fitday at fitday.com you can log your food and see your ratios. concentrate on your protein most of all making sure you get that much in as it is going to support you muscle. Next the carbs and last the fats.
I am not sure where you have the most problem in getting the cal./ratio together you just have to take what you like eating right now log in a sample menu and increase your protions to match each meal.

Hope this helps a bit. Maybe show what you are taking now so we can make some suggestions.

Laters
bu