Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 12:24

Plan: glucophage prescription
Stats: 213/202/150 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 17%
Exclamation glucophage for weight loss in non diabetics

Hi,

I'm looking for anyone who is taking glucophage(metformin) for weight loss and isn't a diabetic. I've been taking it for a couple days now and following a low carb diet. Any info, comments, suggestions on diet and any other stuff would be helpful.

Thanks
April
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 13:07
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

hi April,

You might find members and some information about non-diabetic use of glucophage in our PCOS Forum ... PCOS = polycystic ovary syndrome. The glucophage helps to improve insulin sensitivity and ideally lower insulin levels for women with this disorder.

Truthfully though, I haven't heard of its use as a weight loss aid in the absence of some disorder involving insulin sensitivity.

Doreen
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 15:14

BF:
Default glucophage-for weight loss non PCOS or diabetic

Hi all,

Just found this forum, hoping to learn some info. I've just started taking glucophage for weight loss. I'm not diabetic nor to I have PCOS, have been tested for it though. I've been reading the posts and see a lot of people have had some success with glucophage for weight loss even though it was prescribed to help with PCOS symptoms. I'm taking 250 mg once a day to start with. Is anyone else in this situation or can you offer any tips to help with the weight loss. So far the side effects of gluc seem to be minimal (diarrhea). I'm trying to stick to a low carb diet. I've found some info on using glucophage just for weight loss and it suggests eating fruit and root vegetables only with meals, which I find a little frustrating since I'll usually snack on a piece of fruit between meals. Anyways any suggestions, advice would be welcome. Thanks

april
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-03, 00:29

Plan: Insulin Resistance Diet
Stats: 184/149/125 Female 5'0"
BF:
Progress: 59%

Glucophage/metformin is an insulin sensitizer. People with diabetes and PCOS have problems using insulin efficiently so the metformin helps make the body use insulin better.

Insulin makes fat, so it makes sense that a person with too much insulin will make too much fat. By taking metformin and thus reducing the amount of insulin in the blood, the person creates less fat and can lose weight.

If you don't have any insulin problems, then I really don't see how metformin can really help. Eating low carb is probably the best bet for you.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-03, 09:27

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 195/191/130 Female 5'1
BF:
Progress:
Lightbulb Glucophage XR for Weightloss

Hello April. I'm non-diebetic and I've been taking Glucophage for weightloss since July 7th. I haven't really seen any real results yet. Dr. Atkins' low carb program is excellent, so I expected to lose the weight that I've lost so far, which is about 5 lbs. However, I'm hoping to lose a little quicker because of the pills. What did your doctor tell you about weightloss? He just told me that it would decrease the absorption of sugar. I don't have a lot of information, which is why I'd been meaning to call him, just to get more answers. Have you had any positive results? I was thinking that my body needed to adjust and get used to it. I have experienced a few side effects. I've been all over the internet looking for information on this.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-03, 11:07

BF:

Hi Evonja, Finally someone else who's taking glucophage for the same reason I am. I've also looked all over the internet and found very limited info. I've also posted on the PCOS sight on this list as well hoping for some feedback. I've lost my usual 5 pounds I usually lose during the week and then put back on, on the weekend. My doc was hesitatnt to prescribe but he had heard of it being done before. One of the biggest things I've noticed is I've lost the craving for something sweet after meals (one of my biggest downfalls). I'm only taking 250 mg once a day so far, I'm thinking about upping the amount to 500mg (1 pill) maybe starting next week. I'm really hoping this will work, I feel like it is even as a placebo so far. I don't really know that much about why and how it works and would love to learn more. The reason I asked my doc for it is my mom is a medical transcriptionist in a large city and said that it was being prescribed to a lot of non-diabetics for weight loss with good results, based on the transcriptions she does. why I'd been meaning to call him, just to get more answers. If you'd like to email back and forth privately (since we both seem to be in the same boat weight and heightwise and goalwise), I'd be interested, let me know via the forum.

thanks April
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-03, 16:56

Stats: 185/180/135 Female 5' 5"
BF:46.1%
Progress: 10%

Maybe this is a totally nit-wit question, but is this also used for fertility? Or maybe I should say infertility? I could swear that is what my dr. mentioned. Boy it would be nice to use it for dual purposes!
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-03, 18:32

Plan: Atkins/low carb mix
Stats: 206/184/130 Female 5'5"
BF:Size 12
Progress: 29%

Glucophage has been been linked to a lot of serious side effects. I don't think I would take it as a means of a diet pill. Lowering your Blood sugar when it's not high could also make it too low, and therefore dangerous. Why not just try low carbing and exercising.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jul-18-03, 06:18

Stats: 195/191/130 Female 5'1
BF:
Progress:

Yesterday, I emailed my doctor. He has not responded yet. I surfed this link some more and found that some people are not having outstanding results. I don't want to be a "test" monkey, which I think I may be. I've been doing Atkins for almost two weeks. I've lost, and I'm sure it's because of Atkins itself, not the Glucophage. Personally, I think some (not all) doctors may be using their patients as case studies. My dosage is 750 mg once a day, time-released. I think LoveableLc has the right idea about the low carb and exercise. I just needed a little extra help and asked my doctor and Glucophage was his answer. I can be emailed during the week at lewalker~gapac.com or luciwalker~aol.com, evening and weekends.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Jul-18-03, 07:23

Stats: 230/215/140 Female 63 inches
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovableLC
Glucophage has been been linked to a lot of serious side effects. I don't think I would take it as a means of a diet pill. Lowering your Blood sugar when it's not high could also make it too low, and therefore dangerous. Why not just try low carbing and exercising.

Actually, Glucophage does not lower your blood sugar if you are not diabetic. It is an insulin sensitizer, basically making your body respond to insulin more efficiently so you don't have to produce so much. This keeps your insulin levels from going up and causing the chain reaction with all the other hormones that make PCOS such a joy Low-carbing and exercise are more efficient at lowering insulin, but not everyone chooses to do this WOE.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Jul-18-03, 09:10

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsBrisby
Maybe this is a totally nit-wit question, but is this also used for fertility? Or maybe I should say infertility? I could swear that is what my dr. mentioned. Boy it would be nice to use it for dual purposes!

It can if your infertility is caused by PCOS. There is a complex relationship between insulin, estrogen, and androgens (male hormones). When your insulin is too high, it causes your ovaries to produce to many androgens, which ceases ovulation. If you're not ovulating, you can't get pregnant. So, by taking glucophage, you reduce the insulin which in turn reduces androgens. With the reduction of androgens, a lot of women start ovulating on their own.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-03, 09:01

BF:

Just wanted to post a quick note about my success with taking metformin. (I'm not diabetic, nor do I have PCOS, just taking for weight loss. So far I've lost 6 pounds in 8 days. My weight is staying off. I've lost my craving for something sweet after each meal. It feels really good to be able to maintain a weight loss. I've cut out bread, except for the ocassional slice of whole wheat, along with pasta, potatoes etc. I plan to continue taking metformin. The ill effects I initally experienced have pretty much subsided. Woohoo.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Aug-08-03, 08:56

BF:

Three weeks into taking glucophage I've lost 13 pounds. All I can say is wow. In the last two years I've gained 40 pounds and up until now have not been able to drop any weight. So even though some people disagree on taking glucohphage for weight loss I'm impressed with it. It's helped me change my eating habits, lose weight, feel good, and I don't have endless heartburn all the time, yaa.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Aug-08-03, 09:06

BF:

aprilw, I'm not against it for weight loss, per se. I'm just not terribly fond of the idea of someone taking it who doesn't have insulin problems.

But from your description, I'd wager that you do. 40lbs in 2 years, inability to lose weight, and heartburn are all symptoms of insulin resistance. You may not have PCOS but it sure sounds like you're IR to me. And that's why the drug is working for you

Congrats!
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Aug-08-03, 09:41

BF:

Sourdaisy,

Thanks for the congrats. It's been very frustrating with the weight gain. I've been tested ad-nauseum with nothing showing up, glucose, thyroid, etc. I have a doc appt next week and we'll see if he increases the glucophage dosage for continued weight loss.