Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Aug-05-05, 01:24

Plan: ---
Stats: 199/189/165 Female 179cm
BF:39/33,7/25
Progress: 29%
Default losing muscle

Does anybody know after how long of not exercising you lose your muscles?
Do they shrink, change into fat, or something else?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Aug-06-05, 07:53

Plan: General low carb
Stats: 370/348.5/298 Female 5'9"
BF:plenty of it
Progress: 30%

Your muscles grow in size according to your use of them, and they shrink down to where they need to be when your use decreases. My father was a MS patient, and was bed ridden. Because he could no longer walk, his muscles atrophied. They got NO USE AT ALL. His muscles then turned to fibrous tissue, and he then would never have been able to use them after they atrophied. But my father never got that well. I lost him in 1993.
Atrophy of the muscles in sick patients will draw their legs up to their chest and such, or sometimes behind them. I don't think you need to worry about that.

As long as you are walking/ and doing some form of exercise with your muscles/ you will be fine.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Aug-07-05, 04:05

Plan: ---
Stats: 199/189/165 Female 179cm
BF:39/33,7/25
Progress: 29%

Thank you for your response. My guestion was out of pure curiosity.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Aug-07-05, 04:36

Plan: General low carb
Stats: 370/348.5/298 Female 5'9"
BF:plenty of it
Progress: 30%

I can't stress enough how important strength training is. Six years ago before I got pregnant with my second child, I went to the gym about 3 times a week. I would rotate exercises during each week. I would only do 12 a day. I started with legs first, then arms, then abdomen. I was a BIG girl anyway. I started at 150# on the leg press, and within three months, I was up to doing 360# on the leg press. I'm 5'9". In just that three months, I lost 4 pant sizes. I was building lean muscle in my legs more than anywhere else and it was showing fast!!!!!! Now take that on with a low-carb diet, and your shape really changes overnight. Now I am a large-boned girl and tall. Most women are too timid to try increasing their weights the way I did. As far as building muscle like a man, women just can't do it. We don't have enough testosterone, and women body builders that get real big like that have been found taking steroids.

If you like exercising muscles, Michael Thurmond's 6 week body makeover is an awesome way to do it. The purpose of the kit is to make your time for strength training shorter by working only the muscles that need worked over. You look through cards (in the privacy of your own home) and honestly pick the cards closest to your body type and then do the exercises that correspond to the cards. It comes with DVD that you can stop between each exercise. It is a dream come true for me. It is on one of those infomercials. Let me know if you need the phone number and I will try to get it for you.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Aug-10-05, 08:25

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 500/100/101 Male 70 inches
BF:6%
Progress: 100%

From what I've read you can not workout for 2 weeks and you won't lose any muscle. Anything beyond that and it will diminish. Now if you do take two weeks off, that's fine, but you'll probably have some serious soreness when you start backup again. Some plans I've read suggest 1 week off every 12 weeks of heavy lifting.

I completely agree with SBMama37, everyone should be doing strength training.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Sep-13-05, 17:28

Plan: bfl
Stats: 179/119/120 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 102%

yea it depends on how buffed you are so the more buffed you the less time it would take to get back in shape