Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Sep-01-02, 21:25

Plan: PP/Atkins/PPLP
Stats: 224/192/150
BF:57%/42%/25%
Progress: 43%
Default Chicken Drumettes

What is the best way to cook these so they are crispy and tasty? Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Sep-12-02, 16:08
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 310/226/175
BF:
Progress: 62%

Janiceb I thaw mine completely then melt butter in a skillet and fry them in a little butter . They are good and crunchie and very tastie
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Sep-13-02, 12:39

Thanks that sounds good, I'll try it.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Sep-17-02, 06:43

Plan: low salt
Stats: 207/236/160 Female 5'10"
BF:44.1%/33.86%/?
Progress: -62%
Question Drumettes

Any pointers on how to make skinless drumettes tasty, as well? I fried mine with ns butter, hot sauce and garlic yesterday, and boy, were they bland and unappealing.

Thank you for your help,
Julie
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Oct-05-02, 15:44

Stats: 320/272/150 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 28%

Try this hot wing sauce. Use equal parts hot sauce and melted butter, add a splash of Wochestershire. Dip cooked chicken...or put in a cover dish and shake. I just bake my wings and then mix in the sauce.
You could also look for low carb marinades for other flavors.
If you are making alot, try them smothered. Use a can of cream of mushroom, chopped onion, garlic, pepper (your fav spices), cover with foil and bake. Can't remember the temp., think about 350 untill done.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Oct-08-02, 19:53
Registered Member

Stats: 50/50/50
BF:
Progress: 20%

Don't forget the BBQ grill. I do these almost 4 times a week. I have a small gas BBQ grill, here's what I do...

Get the best brand of drumettes(sp) you can find. Take skin off if you wish or leave it on, I like to leave it on (good fat). Make sure they are thoroughly thawed, even if you have had them in the fridge try to get them close to room temp, this way the chicken will cook more evenly.

I have a sauce I bought at the store called "Uncle Steve's Hot Sauce" has the vinegar in it and everything. And that is the sauce I use. Before putting the sauce on though, put the drums on the grill and get them close to done. Right before they are done, take them off the grill and put them in a bowl with the hot sauce of your choosing and coat them thoroughly. Then put them back on the grill and cook until done and repeat the process one more time being carefull not to over cook the drums.

I've found that doing it this way keeps more of the sauce on the chicken.

Now for my famous Ranch dressing:
Hidden Valley Ranch BUTTERMILK powder (not the regular stuff).
0 Carb Cream
0 Carb Mayo
Whip to satifaction and.... ¡Voila!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Oct-09-02, 08:32

Fuze, sounds great, will definitely try BBQ'ing them. The sauce sounds great too! Thanks,
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Oct-09-02, 13:37

Plan: atkins
Stats: 313/299/199
BF:
Progress: 12%
Default ummm mmm good

i completely thaw out the drummetes and make sure they are dry. lightly butter the pan and bake drummettes at 450 degrees about 40 minutes turning over half way through. mix hot sauce, ~1 cup, 2tbs of butter and 1tsp of vinegar an mix. dip each wing in it and place bace in the baking dish, and pour remaining hot sauce over them and broil about 3 minutes. these are delicious and my kids love them too. and they are not very hot, a little spicy but even my 3 year old eats them with blue cheese dressing and celery sticks.

p.s. it you start with frozen wings you will need to pour the juice off every 10 minutes or so, and cook a little longer to make them crispy.

p.s. you could also season them with salt and fry them in peanut oil, this also works with pork chops, but season them in seasoning salt and fry.