Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#151   ^
Old Mon, May-07-18, 07:15

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Damn it, lost my whole post, t'was brilliant I say.

Ima recap the main points.

Episode 11 of ketohacking.

I wrote a blog post that predicts results of Jimmy's protein experiment, namely that BG will not rise.

He felt hypoglycemic, there's a simple explanation - too much insulin. But why is there too much insulin, and why is there still ketones? Liver insulin receptors shut down. Insulin can't get in, doesn't inhibit ketogenesis, yet acts on all other tissues cuz insulin circulates past the liver. Insulin doesn't get in the liver, liver doesn't degrade insulin, insulin stays too high.

He stayed hungry, in spite of too much insulin which should otherwise shut down hunger at the brain. Why? It's the dietary fat, not the ketones, not the insulin, just the dietary fat. Dietary fat activates the PPAR-x pathways in the liver. Therefore, dietary fat is a signaling molecule. This signal would then act on hunger and satiety hormones, ghrelin and leptin. That's where the hunger problem lies. It ain't the too much protein, it's the too little fat. This makes a lot of sense since eating too much fat is indeed quite difficult to do. The signaling from dietary fat comes straight from the gut, even as it is emulsified by bile, before it hits anything else.

I could try to re-write my brilliant post, but that'll do for now.

-edit- The thing about dietary fat signaling molecule, just came up with it in frustration about losing my brilliant post. Sorta brilliant in its own right if I say so myself.

Last edited by M Levac : Mon, May-07-18 at 07:25.
Sponsored Links
  #152   ^
Old Mon, May-07-18, 07:55

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: 235/220/210 Male 6' 3"
BF:
Progress: 60%

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Levac
On a personal note, I used to be a jerk, I also did a ZC stint a while back. Maybe there's a connection, I don't really care. I much prefer to not be a jerk, there's more perks to being nice. I prefer to be around people who are nice, and there's tons of nice people on this forum, so I stick around, follow the few simple rules of conduct, i.e. don't be a jerk.

Love me some Martin Levac

ZC is great but I cannot be that strict, for a short time it's a way to get nutrition and diagnose some. Also reversing NAFLD is fairly easy on ZC I'm told.
  #153   ^
Old Mon, May-07-18, 08:03
Registered Member

Plan: KetoCarnivore
Stats: 206.6/178/160 Female 5'7
BF:awesome
Progress: 61%

From 2006-2012, I was zero carb... it healed my body, leaned me out, brought back clarity, memory, lost the brain fog and everything else that goes along with carbohydrate addiction....

Been <10 carbs a day for 45 yrs. never did the ladder addition of carbs.

It’s been good to me.. but, I live in modern society and with that comes socializing with food... and I like to be amongst other humans..
I enjoy socializing and I eat more than meat, now..
Right now, I have gone back to zero carb for April & May as I am getting ready for a major surgery.. a hip replacement..
zero carb will cut the digestion time, allowing my body to concentrate on healing me, after surgery..
But I figure sometime in mid June, I will go back to a little WEE bit of vegetable matter and a grain here and there.. I enjoy a little variety.

But zero carb has been good to my body.
I think eating zero carb is excellent for a speedy recovery.

Last edited by PilotGal : Mon, May-07-18 at 10:24.
  #154   ^
Old Mon, May-07-18, 10:09

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyatt
Love me some Martin Levac

ZC is great but I cannot be that strict, for a short time it's a way to get nutrition and diagnose some. Also reversing NAFLD is fairly easy on ZC I'm told.

Yeah, we can think of all-meat as therapeutic. But we seem to think it must be done for a long time before it does anything. Personally, I found it works even for just the one meal. So, feel like crap, eat a steak, feel better shortly thereafter. Even if the effect of one meal is not that big, there's something to be said about the power to choose to eat just a steak for this meal. To have the choice is empowering. This choice is enabled by the knowledge we have about all-meat.
  #155   ^
Old Mon, May-07-18, 10:56

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Quote:
Pancreatic alpha-cell function in idiopathic reactive hypoglycemia.
Ahmadpour S1, Kabadi UM.
Author information
Abstract
Idiopathic reactive hypoglycemia (IRH) is a well-documented but overdiagnosed syndrome. The presence of transient hypoglycemia and enhanced insulin secretion and/or increased insulin sensitivity before the onset of IRH is well documented. However, the data regarding glucagon secretion are sparse. Therefore, this study assessed glucagon and insulin responses to (1) oral ingestion of 100 g glucose oral glucose tolerance test (OGTT) and (2) a 100-g protein meal after an overnight fast in a randomized sequence at intervals of 7 to 10 days in five subjects with previously well-documented IRH and six normal subjects. Basal plasma glucose and insulin levels were not significantly different in both groups. However, basal glucagon was significantly higher (P < .025) in IRH subjects (347 +/- 83 ng/L) compared with normals (135 +/- 20 ng/L). In IRH subjects during the OGTT, hypoglycemia (2.7 +/- 0.11 mmol/L) occurred at 150 +/- 16 minutes and was preceded by a markedly higher (P < .01) peak glucose concentration (11.7 +/- 0.6 mmol/L) at 36 +/- 6 minutes in comparison to normals (8.8 +/- 0.4 mmol/L), indicating the presence of impaired glucose tolerance in these subjects. Similarly, the plasma insulin increase was significantly higher (P < .01) but delayed in IRH subjects compared with normals. In contrast, glucagon suppression was not significantly different in both groups, although glucagon failed to increase following hypoglycemia in IRH. During a protein meal, plasma glucose declined in both groups, with a significantly (P < .05) greater decrease in IRH subjects (-0.8 +/- 0.2 mmol/L) compared with normals (0.5 +/- 0.1 mmol/L). However, the glucagon increase was significantly (P < .01) blunted in IRH subjects (61% +/- 15%) in comparison to normals (152% +/- 39%). Thus, basal hyperglucagonemia with normal glucose concentration may suggest the presence of a hyposensitivity of the glucagon receptor in IRH. Moreover, the lack of appropriate suppression during the OGTT despite marked hyperglycemia, the lack of an increase at the onset of hypoglycemia, and the inhibited response to a protein meal in IRH subjects compared with normals denote altered glucagon secretion in IRH. Therefore, it is likely that glucagon receptor downregulation and impaired glucagon sensitivity and secretion may contribute to postprandial hypoglycemia in IRH.

Saw this on pubmed yesterday, sounds like what Jimmy's describing. Glucagon matters too. As far as insulin goes--Jimmy checked his insulin at the wrong time, two hours in, when he was feeling hypo. His fasting is 15, two hours in it was 20, after eating 120 grams of protein. Maybe he had a big spike, and most of it was cleared by the two hour mark, or maybe it never went that high in the first place. 15 is high for fasting, 20 isn't much of a rise past that. Of course I don't know what his glucagon was at all. If his insulin had been really high at two hours that would say something. Really you need to measure everything every half hour or so for three hours or more to be certain.

I'm enjoying zero carb right now, doing better on the non-beef bits, though, don't know why. No argument against zero carb here, argument against thinking that once you are zero carb, there aren't things within that worth tweaking if somebody's blood sugar looks crappy or something. "If I'm not eating plants, there's nothing left to try," isn't a thing.
  #156   ^
Old Mon, May-07-18, 12:27

Plan: High protein/HIIT
Stats: 234/197/174 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 62%

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotGal
Right now, I have gone back to zero carb for April & May as I am getting ready for a major surgery.. a hip replacement..
zero carb will cut the digestion time, allowing my body to concentrate on healing me, after surgery..
But I figure sometime in mid June, I will go back to a little WEE bit of vegetable matter and a grain here and there.. I enjoy a little variety.

This is very interesting to me, as I am also planning for my upcoming hip replacement surgery. I'm thinking to make ahead lots and lots of bone broth and freeze. I really like the theory that zero carb will help with a speedy recovery.
  #157   ^
Old Mon, May-07-18, 17:22

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 340/144/145 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress:

I've been eating carnivore (zero carb) for more than 2 years. Last summer, I had foot surgery, and my surgeon warned me that at my age (76) the healing time would be longer--8-10 weeks rather than 4-6. She was amazed when I was healed at 4 weeks.

Moreover, being unable to put weight on the foot for 4 weeks naturally limited my mobility, but I gained nothing during that time, eating zero.
  #158   ^
Old Tue, May-08-18, 05:35

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmie618
I've been eating carnivore (zero carb) for more than 2 years. Last summer, I had foot surgery, and my surgeon warned me that at my age (76) the healing time would be longer--8-10 weeks rather than 4-6. She was amazed when I was healed at 4 weeks.

Moreover, being unable to put weight on the foot for 4 weeks naturally limited my mobility, but I gained nothing during that time, eating zero.

Wow, what an inspiring story and support for the healing properties of zero-carb!! And your weight loss at 76 is amazing too. We would love to read of your journey to good health...maybe a Success Story or Intro post. Thank you for sharing this info on healing.
  #159   ^
Old Fri, May-18-18, 06:25

Plan: zero carb carnivore
Stats: 222/168/168 Male 6 feet
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotGal
From 2006-2012, I was zero carb... it healed my body, leaned me out, brought back clarity, memory, lost the brain fog and everything else that goes along with carbohydrate addiction....

Been <10 carbs a day for 45 yrs. never did the ladder addition of carbs.

It’s been good to me.. but, I live in modern society and with that comes socializing with food... and I like to be amongst other humans..
I enjoy socializing and I eat more than meat, now..

PilotGal may I ask the what exactly are your bone problems that lead to necessitate hip replacement?
  #160   ^
Old Sun, Jun-03-18, 05:58
Lipivore

Plan: Very Low Carb Paleo
Stats: 270/185/180 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%

Mikhaila Peterson's story of her zero carb journey.

https://youtu.be/jrF4aJvdU-A

Quote:
Listen to Mikhaila Peterson, daughter of Jordan Peterson and Don't Eat That blogger share why she and her dad are now all-meat/carnivore diet proponents due to the dramatic changes in Mikhailas' arthritis and depression signs and symptoms.

In today's interview, we get a chance to talk about why Mikhaila decided to work on an elimination diet to help her pain and mental health. We discuss how she discovered a strict carnivore diet resulted in dramatic improvement in her rheumatoid arthritis, depression and other persistent health problems + the health benefits even for her dad Jordan.

If you know someone who is struggling with similar health concerns including rheumatoid arthritis, autoimmune disease, depression and fatigue and is wondering how diet could help, this interview is for them.

I enjoyed this interview with Mikhaila because listening to positive case studies and dramatic ones like Mikhailas' can help others who might share similar issues. It just adds to the point how important what we eat can influence our health in so many ways.
  #161   ^
Old Mon, Jun-04-18, 08:43
Boldly going...

Plan: keto
Stats: 410/298.6/225 Male 74 inches
BF:40/35%/17%
Progress: 60%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmie618

Sounds about right. My wife had an infected milk duct removed from her breast a couple of years ago. Deep wound, so healing was crucial. She went to the wound care clinic faithfully, and they measured the depth of the healing wound every couple of days. (deep wounds must heal from the inside out)

She knew she had to have a lot of protein to promote healing but she naturally is a bit squeamish about meat (doesn't care for beef, and then only when well done. Eats mostly chicken and fish when she does eat meat). She was eating a lot of Greek Yogurt plus whey to get her protein as well as chicken and fish. But then her healing stalled a bit. I suggested she bite the bullet and try beef. I bought her a NY Strip (her favorite cut), had the butcher slice it in half so it was thinner, and grilled her well done NY strips. Her healing took off after that, so she became a believer in the healing power of (particularly red) meat. She still has the same squeamishness, but knows when she needs real protein, she has to eat beef.
  #162   ^
Old Mon, Jun-04-18, 09:57

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Mikhaila's story is compelling, so are Emmie's and Marvin's wife's experiences. Meat can be a superfood, but many don't realize the extent of the nutrients it packs. Humans are ideally suited to benefit from meat and compared to other foods, it provides the most complete nutrient profile. For anyone citing a source of nutrient density for humans, healthy vegetables are not in the same ballpark.
  #163   ^
Old Tue, Jun-19-18, 12:20
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

I may be giving it a go, this "eat meat" version. What can it hurt? My other WOE isn't cutting it for me right now.
  #164   ^
Old Tue, Jun-19-18, 12:25

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I'm sort of surprised how well this has worked for me, since in practice not eating plants mostly involved not eating spinach.
  #165   ^
Old Tue, Jun-19-18, 19:02

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesinger
I may be giving it a go, this "eat meat" version. What can it hurt? My other WOE isn't cutting it for me right now.

I feel compelled to give you a few basic rules for that.

Eat fat meat
Eat when hungry
Eat at least some fresh meat, not overcooked

That's it. Every other aspect like choice of meat, choice of cooking method, choice of spices, salt, etc, isn't that much relevant. I mean, if adding a bit of spices to your steak makes it more enjoyable, go for it, it's not gonna change the big picture much. Those three basic rules are there because of the risks.

Not enough fat, get more hungry, rabbit starvation, etc.
Staying hungry, could cave in to cravings.
No fresh meat, risk of scurvy.

Also, a sort of guideline to avoid the all-too-important success/failure thing. Bypass it completely. Instead, go with intent and satisfaction. Short term instead of long term. For example, you wanna eat a steak, well, eat a steak, done. Next meal, you wanna eat something else, well, eat something else, done. See what I mean? At each point of intent, there is satisfaction of this intent. And, it's not a question of success or failure, it's purely a question of satisfying your intent. So another example, you're at work, travelling, wherever, you wanna eat something, a steak or whatever, eat that, done. If you can't eat what you want, then it's not failure (and all the bad thoughts that go along with it, I'm a failure, I'm a bad person, I suck at this, etc, etc), it's just that you didn't satisfy your intent.

There's a parallel to this. You wanna watch a movie, you can't for some reason, you didn't satisfy your intent. It's got nothing to do with failure or success. See? It's become a practical thing, not an idealogical or grand goal thing. I'm saying this because eating only meat is a big deal. Well, let's make it a small deal.

This guideline is derived from what I learned from extensive practice at golf. The simpler it is, the easier it is to do, the easier it is to satisfy intent. In turn, the greater the effect on my confidence in doing what I intend to do. It's a simple principle, right? Well, it extends to everything else, including eating only meat, which we can do one meal at a time, or just this one meal today right now.
Closed Thread