Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-30-13, 16:07

Plan: none
Stats: 140/140/130 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress:
Default I think Vitamin D is making me ill, leg pain & other

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=433653

I found susan55's post above while searching on vit d is making me ill.

My work is a plant nursery

I was dx with low vit d back in July 2011

Rx-ed 1000 units, blood results were ok

June 2012 Started working walking, in about 15 min I had severe burning leg pain that knocked me on my A, my heart started pounding, called 911 & of course nothing was done because it goes away once I lie down for 15-30 min, this kept happening the entire summer, late winter I started to feel some kind of muscle shimmers going thru my body, you cannot see this on the outside, by the end of August I could not walk and had to use the scooters in the stores, I had the bone scans and to date had every test imaginable and every Dr. imaginable, nothing is being found with the exception of the results from the Rheumatism Dr. I just went to. I have had 2 EMG's done one of those was done at a teaching hospital as well as a skin biopsy. Seen Cardiology back in Nov but she didn't comment much on it being I had appts. with all these other Drs.

I do not have restless legs, lyme disease, ostio arth and they have done some auto immune tests tho not all. They have hinted on depression and I know damn well this kind of burning pain is not that, so I'm rx-ed an antidepressant anyway been taking for months and that's not taking the pain away.

In Jan this year Neuro had me take 50,000 units of Vit D for 1 week then back to 2000 units after that.

These muscle shimmers were getting worse and its enough to drive you mad, my legs feel like bugs are crawling in them. Rx-ed 2000 U of Vit D a day back in June, then 4000 U once a day in July.

I'm being treated with Dilantin, Gabapentin and Vicodin. Vicodin will take away the feeling of bugs in my legs and also the pain, not taking Vicodin is not an option because I will not be able to walk and I will not be able to do my work, I'm not riding in the scooters if I can be free of pain. How many groceries can you put in scooter cart anyway. ?

I quit the Vit D for about a week and 1/2 and felt better, then I thought I better start taking it or the Drs will rx more, I know D well if I mention this they will ignore me and shrug that off being I've been to all these Drs.

I was checking the inert ingred in vitD capsules and didn't see anything that would make me this sick.

I think some Drs. see a high calcium in the blood and just rx Vit D to lower that.

The Rheum Dr. mentioned it sounds like its Neurological.

How in the H this pain starts out of the blue with no warning signs is beyond me.

I have read too much Vit D can cause muscle weakness and muscle twitching tho I don't know if the muscle twitching is on the outside only while reading some of the articles.

Now I am waiting again for referral to Cardiology

Today was really bad so I started to search online more through, these drugs I'm taking will take a toll in the long run. I think they are just covering up something and I think some of the Drs. think I just want drugs.

Any imput appreciated, thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-30-13, 16:24

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

What are you eating?

if you can post 3 days' food log (with one weekend day) we can comment
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jul-30-13, 16:30

Plan: general LC
Stats: 191/140/133 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 88%

What form of vitamin D are you taking, D2 or D3?
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jul-30-13, 16:44

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfish
What form of vitamin D are you taking, D2 or D3?

I am taking D3
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jul-30-13, 17:16

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seejay
What are you eating?

if you can post 3 days' food log (with one weekend day) we can comment

I used to eat a good lunch & dinner before this happened. Breakfast I never liked even as a child. Being now I cannot stand on my feet too long its limited to what I'm going to cook. Previous to this I made full meals, salad, entrée and veg's, it was sad for me at Xmas because I could not make the cookies and breads for relatives, all I made was some banana bread. I know you guys are watching your diets here sorry

My diet seldom changes and I really don't have much of an appetite, I've lost 10 lbs in the past 6 months.

Breakfast: Blueberry Smoothie, Fresh Blueberries I grow and 1 Stella Doro Breakfast Treat or Anise one

Lunch: 1/2 of Turkey Breast Sandwich with Mayo, sometimes a few green olives & soup, I eat more soup during fall-winter and Pepsi regular. Small Blueberry Smoothie or Blueberry Banana Smoothie

Sometimes Chicken Salad or Egg Salad

Dinner: I don't cook much but last night had chicken, mashed potatoes and spinach

Usual Dinner: Lean Cuisine's, sometimes Spaghetti or Sandwich

Snack: Blueberry Smoothie

Tho this isn't an ideal diet as mentioned I'm not that hungry & standing on my feet too long is a killer, besides that I cooked my entire life and now I'm not doing it, I'm sure many older women feel this way.

My diet is not the greatest since this disease or whatever it is started but I need to know if others have experienced same problems as myself with taking Vit D for a long time

The leg pain is constant, the muscle shimmers can be mild to going into full tilt, which happened today, that's why I am here & seen susan55's post while searching the internet.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jul-30-13, 17:32
Counterweight

Plan: VLC/Moderate Protein
Stats: 291/251.4/150 Female 63.25"
BF:72%/62.5%/26%
Progress: 28%

I read the thread you referenced. Further reading indicated that feeling ill while taking Vit D is indicative of low magnesium. Are you supplementing magnesium as well?
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jul-30-13, 18:14

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

Have you tried discontinuing the vitamin D to see if your symptoms go away?
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jul-30-13, 18:51
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Your food intake is extremely high in carbs. Have you noticed you are posting on a low carb forum? That means we are here to offer support to folk who are following various low carb eating plans.

I would very strongly suggest you think seriously about switching to a low carb plan. For a start, many of us find our aches and pains improve dramatically on low carb.

Have a look through "Plans" on the top green menu bar. Otherwise, you may need to consider finding a forum that supports your preferred style of eating.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jul-31-13, 09:42

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Yes, I would look at magnesium too.

What all's in the smoothies?

I would wonder if your sweets, starches, and grains are contributing to those awful flare-ups. Combined with, a lack of saturated and mono fats, and maybe light on protein? - nerve sheaths are made from fats and proteins, it has to help if you gett enough protein and fat.

I too would recommend a diet much lower in sweets and starches. It's a bit of work to relearn what you eat but worth it. Personally nowadays I think the Primal Blueprint guidelines are easy and friendly for people new to these ideas.

I too am an older woman and isn't it amazing how suddenly I don't have to, or even want to, cook any more?

What I did when I realized it was time to switch my diet around (again), was use Fitday to play "what if." I would put in what I was really eating and then, item by item, swap out the sweets and starches for fats and protein. I only put in stuff I really liked and would eat. While still looking at enough protein and not too much carb.

Don't laugh but my lunch right now is mixed nuts and summer sausage. No cooking! good fats and portable too.

My dinners are meat, veg, some root veg, and butter and olive oil. One thing I do is barbecue once a week and then have the barbecued meat and veg, reheated, sorta like a roasted veg medley. Not as good as fresh every night but I am NOT cooking every night and that's that.

I do like breakfast and it's eggs and sausage most days with butter-rich biscuit. (sometimes traditional, sometimes paleo)
I can make that in bulk too and reheat for days.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jul-31-13, 11:46
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

There are contraindications of D supplementation in people with certain conditions. Have you been checked for these?
Quote:
What are the contraindications for high-dose Vitamin D?
The main contraindication is the existence of primary hyperparathyroidism - but interestingly, before the occurrence of hyperparathyroidism, vitamin D is preventative because it reduces parathyroid secretion. Individuals with sarcoidosis, tuberculosis, or lymphoma may become hypercalcemic when given increased Vitamin D doses. Some rare individuals are sensitive to Vitamin D at higher doses.

Quote:
nothing is being found with the exception of the results from the Rheumatism Dr.

What were those results?

Just throwing this out there, but some of your symptoms sounds like neurological effects that can be caused by gluten sensitivity. Have you ever considered trying a gluten free diet?

The Gluten File
http://wheatbellyblog.com

Last edited by Nancy LC : Wed, Jul-31-13 at 11:55.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Aug-07-13, 09:21

Plan: semi-low carb
Stats: 277/200/177 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 77%

There is accumulating evidence that massive supplementation with Vitamin D is bad. bad. bad.
http://chriskresser.com/surprising-...ring-our-brains
I supplement with Thorne (purchased from IHerb for $22) a combination Vitamin K2/Vitamin D. Two drops a day, or 1000 IU vitamin D.