Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Australia / New Zealand
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Sep-22-04, 22:47

Plan: aitken
Stats: 100/100/65 Female 165
BF:
Progress:
Default saying hi from sunny queensland

HI, just poking my head in and saying hi to the aussies! Day one here, and feeling like I am already gonna fail (!) sorry but that is the truth, have done diets to death for 20 years and tired of it. But, have done well today, got my pee strips and have eaten well, posted a intro, did a day one journal. I need to find a pedometer - any ideas? Coles is selling some $13 but they say on the box 'counts out loud your steps as you walk each day' - me thinks I don't want to hear 'another' voice in my head! LOL
Anyhoo, if any other QLD's here, say Hi!
Selina
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Sep-22-04, 22:56
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Selina,

Good to meet you!

I wear a pedometer. Bought mine from Australian Geographic for about $40. It's very quiet. You could try any sporting goods stores, but I did notice my chemist was selling them recently for about $25. (Chemist in Fairfield Gardens' shopping centre in case you are in Brissy.) Might be worth asking your local chemist.

All the best to you, matey.

Roz
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Oct-06-04, 19:12
Registered Member

Plan: paleo
Stats: 209/189/176 Male 186cm
BF:
Progress: 61%

Hi Selena, hope your'e still keeping in there! I've been off the forum for a while. You say you've done diets to death. Of course you have - all "DIETS" are doomed to fail. What you need is not a diet, but a way of eating. So your'e in the right place here!
All the best
Michael
Bribie
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Oct-10-04, 04:00

Stats: 244/222/154 Female 160
BF:
Progress: 24%

Hi Selena

I am from Mackay and I have been on Atkins for about 5 weeks now and loving it and the best thing about it is I am also losing weight.

Best wishes
Kay
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Oct-30-04, 22:21
Registered Member

Stats: 98/90.5/65 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 23%

Hi Selena
NIce to meet you. I am from the Sunshine Coast and have been on Atkins for about 20 mponths but messed around the last 5 so now back on induction.
Good luck this is a wonderful way of eating.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Nov-04-04, 06:28

Plan: aitkins
Stats: 198/198/143 Female 155cm
BF:
Progress: 0%

I bought the coles pedometer yesterday - it doesn't count out each step out loud. If you press a button on the side it tells you how many steps you are up to and the distance. There is music - sounds like a mobile but you can turn it off. It has a clock and an alarm too. Woke up to the alarm yelling - "it's 7.30, it's 7.30 ....." and for once I didn't have to worry about watching the clock at lunchtime today, set the alarm for when I was due back at work. Think it's pretty good value for $12.95.

At least it's better than the freebie one in Cocopops, it's too sensitive (I know it's made for kids).
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Nov-21-04, 00:26

Plan: dont know
Stats: 250/250/200 Male 1.85
BF:
Progress:
Default new member

i live in qld and i am going to start the atkins diet...saw a progrem on pay tv and went out and bought a book...before i jump in i will go and get a check up...i have put on about 18 kg in 1 x year and i am now 118 kg...i would like to be 85 kg so i have a lot of work to do...before i start the diet i am studying the book and researching on the internet...i will have to train my wife to shop diferently and to empty the fridge of all junk...i have srarted a little by not drinking coke or eating bread and not buying 2 x packets of timtams..(mmmmmmmm i can taste them now) once i started thinking about the food i eat i realised howmuch junk ..WE..eat......bi bi jenko
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Oct-08-05, 13:34
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 215/205/140 Female 170cm
BF:
Progress: 13%
Default Qlder too, stuck in dark ketosis, drinking tons of water!

Hi Jenko, I'm in Qld too and I am on week 3, in a bit of a plateau but that's ok as I believe (hope) that I'm building muscle and losing fat so haven't lost weight per se. Clothes don't feel looser though. I'm in heavy ketosis and am struggling to get out of it. Ate some fresh pineapple today, strawberries yesterday, but still have high reading. Good idea to have a check up, great idea, but be aware some doctors don't like Atkins. (Read all the literature and make up your own mind). I was l00kg and am now losing. Aim 70kg. You just get in there and start and you\'ll be amazed how good it is to do this with a whole group of people, and you'll be amazed that you stop craving carbs and \Tim Tams after a while. I couldn't think it possible!! lol. Catdogqld

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenko
i live in qld and i am going to start the atkins diet...saw a progrem on pay tv and went out and bought a book...before i jump in i will go and get a check up...i have put on about 18 kg in 1 x year and i am now 118 kg...i would like to be 85 kg so i have a lot of work to do...before i start the diet i am studying the book and researching on the internet...i will have to train my wife to shop diferently and to empty the fridge of all junk...i have srarted a little by not drinking coke or eating bread and not buying 2 x packets of timtams..(mmmmmmmm i can taste them now) once i started thinking about the food i eat i realised howmuch junk ..WE..eat......bi bi jenko
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Oct-09-05, 00:40

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 198/136/127 Female 174cm
BF:42%/19%/10%
Progress: 87%

Hi, another Qlder here I have been on atkins since 1st August this year, have lost 10kgs so far on atkins and a total of 14kgs since I started trying to lose weight 3 months ago.

I got my pedometer off ebay for $9, it was actually $0.99 to buy and the rest was in postage from hong kong. I cant fault mine.

I was doing a journal of my daily menu, found that really handy also bought from the newsagents the Womans Weekly KJ & Fat counter book. It lists all the things we aussies buy and their carb counts too. That book has been a lifesaver as all i could find before that was american lists that as u know are not overly relevant to us.

We have started a thread for daily postings if u want to join us, it is called "how are we going today" would love to see you in there

Good luck with it all.

Tara
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Oct-09-05, 02:55
Registered Member

BF:

Hi Tigger, I'd love to join your daily thread but don't know where to find it. Wow, 31lbs lost! That's impressive. catdog
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Oct-09-05, 05:41

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 250/190/185 Male 6' 1"
BF:30+/16/15
Progress: 92%

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdog
I'm in heavy ketosis and am struggling to get out of it. Ate some fresh pineapple today, strawberries yesterday, but still have high reading.
As long as you are getting plenty of water (as you say) then you won't be dehydrated (which is one of the reasons you might get a dark purple indication) - then there is no reason to 'get out of heavy ketosis' - all the keto sticks will tell you is that you are in fat burning mode (either dietary of body fat or both). Some people get 'light' readings some 'heavy' - it really doesn't matter, its just a not particularly accurate test of how you are doing, and that you are in ketosis (there is no heavy or light).

So, although small amounts of fresh fruit are fine (particularly lc fruit such as strawberries) - there is no need to eat more carbs just to get yourself out of the healthy fat burning state you are in.

HTH

Cheers,

Malcolm

PS the daily thread is here; http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...t=268342&page=3
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Oct-09-05, 14:22

Stats: 198/136/127 Female 174cm
BF:42%/19%/10%
Progress: 87%

Catdog and anyone else who is interested, the other thread is also under the Australian & NZ menu.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Oct-09-05, 17:44
Registered Member

Stats: 160/148/115 Female 155cm
BF:
Progress: 27%

Hi Selena, im in Queensland too. Southside Brissy.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Oct-10-05, 05:18
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsblues
As long as you are getting plenty of water (as you say) then you won't be dehydrated (which is one of the reasons you might get a dark purple indication) - then there is no reason to 'get out of heavy ketosis' - all the keto sticks will tell you is that you are in fat burning mode (either dietary of body fat or both). Some people get 'light' readings some 'heavy' - it really doesn't matter, its just a not particularly accurate test of how you are doing, and that you are in ketosis (there is no heavy or light).

So, although small amounts of fresh fruit are fine (particularly lc fruit such as strawberries) - there is no need to eat more carbs just to get yourself out of the healthy fat burning state you are in.

HTH

Cheers,

Malcolm

PS the daily thread is here; http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...t=268342&page=3

Thanks so much Malcolm, you are right I don't want to push myself out of ketosis. I wonder if I'm eating too much and the ketones come from the food I'm eating rather than my body fat, as I haven't lost weight or inches for nearly 2 weeks (it's tough when that happens, but some wise person said that you are not stalled until you've gone one month without anything happening, and from what I can see, most people's bodies just adjust when they're ready.) Do I need to calory count perhaps? Don't want to get frantic, but would like a result here!! catdogqld
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Oct-12-05, 04:26
Faux-foods=Doh!Foods

Stats: 216/180/154 Female 168cm
BF:
Progress: 58%

Wow this was over a year ago now ... I wonder how many of you guys are still around!

e