Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-31-07, 20:34
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default Stretch Marks

I've got stretch marks!!!!!!!!!!! i've got to get rid of them, they are fairly new from a recent weight gain, and I'm looking into a cream called Elastin3 by Robelyn ... Any suggestions or feedback?? I hate to think Ive got to live with this for the rest of my life. It makes me want to cry. I cant believe I let my weight get so out of control that I'm scarred for life.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jun-01-07, 05:20
Thank you Dr Atkins!

Plan: Atkins induction
Stats: 311/250/220 Male 6 feet
BF:45%/20%/15%
Progress: 67%

I believe that the old timers say that they will eventually fade away.

I have stretch marks and loose (kind of like "hanging" skin). I use reviva labs antioxidant cream, elastin cream, and collagen cream. Most of the online stores sell it for 40% off list price.

Pick up the (used) book Perricone Prescription. He suggests low carb diet, plenty of good fats and supplements.

http://www.RevivaLabs.com

If you've already found this elastin3 - go ahead and try it. It won't work miracles over night - but it does speed up the skin improvement.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jun-01-07, 06:26

Plan: PSMF
Stats: 160/145/125 Female 5'7.75"
BF:15.6%
Progress: 43%

I have them also, I had them even when I was 125 pounds. They are supposedly genetic- mine have never gone away, but they have faded a lot. I exfoliate often- but I dont waste money on high priced creams anymore. They may help a bit, but for the money, its not really worth it to me. I think you can get laser surgery or something though.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jun-01-07, 07:00

Plan: Atkins-ish
Stats: 168/128/115 Female 5 feet 0 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

The two dermatologists I've seen both said that the only things that work are time and in-office procedures (chemical peels, dermabrasion, lasers--ouch!)

They will fade, just like any scar.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jun-01-07, 10:36

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 179/179/145 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 0%

And a good tan helps hide em!
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jun-01-07, 11:50

Plan: atkins
Stats: 216/195/140 Female 5 6
BF:
Progress: 28%

i put palm oil or coconut oil on my skin...i find anything with alot of vitamin E to be helpful

i think u need to forget about doing away with them all together b/c i dont think that will ever happen (sadly cause i have lots too) expect to still have them on a thinner frame...its better to be thin with marks than fat with marks!!!
and tans do help hide em!!!

im scared to dealth of the tounge...u know the once big fat belly becomes delfated because of the weight loss but the skin does not recover. the kind of belly that has so much overlapping sagging skin that it looks like a tounge (ever see the movie CLICK w/ Adam Sandler) ill be so upset if that happens....one of the reasons im trying to loose is to look nicer in my birthday suit
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jun-01-07, 12:17

Plan: Atkins (veteran)
Stats: 321/206.2/160 Female 5'4"
BF:new scale :(
Progress: 71%

Palmer's cocoa butter formula - tummy butter
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jun-01-07, 12:17

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default With all due respect,

I used to work in a women's prison, and once I told a story about an acquaintance who was afraid she would have to go to jail because she got in a fistfight at a yard sale. The women in prison said, "if only I'd stopped when I was still going to jail!!"

(Jail and prison are different, regardless of their interchangeability on CSI. Prison's way harder.)

I have never been kicked out of bed for having stretch marks. Candlelight (and lava lamps) are very kind. So is lust--it defocuses a man's eyes.

If your body is inclined to them, you'll probably get another set when / if you carry a baby to term.

the bigger lesson? Stop now. On these boards, 50 pounds is a lot, but nowhere near the top of possible roads back from wherever we've been.

I happen to think we are "scarred for life" by everything that happens to us. Some of the marks are obvious (although really, not all that many people will see my stretch marks over the rest of my life and most of them are doctors). Some are less obvious to the casual observer, but they all contribute. Some of the worst experiences / scars in my life have led me to the best understanding and rewards a while down the road.

Good luck.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jun-01-07, 13:28

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Quote:
Originally Posted by danyelle
i put palm oil or coconut oil on my skin...i find anything with alot of vitamin E to be helpful

i think u need to forget about doing away with them all together b/c i dont think that will ever happen (sadly cause i have lots too) expect to still have them on a thinner frame...its better to be thin with marks than fat with marks!!!
and tans do help hide em!!!

im scared to dealth of the tounge...u know the once big fat belly becomes delfated because of the weight loss but the skin does not recover. the kind of belly that has so much overlapping sagging skin that it looks like a tounge (ever see the movie CLICK w/ Adam Sandler) ill be so upset if that happens....one of the reasons im trying to loose is to look nicer in my birthday suit

I use olive oil and it seem to work well. I had five pregnancies in 4 years (three live births; lasat one born six months ago) and I am definitely getting the tongue as we speak. It's horrid, but it's also very genetic for my family - every woman in my immediate family has a variant of it, very fat or not. I am not sure what I will have to do if I lose a lot more. Just editing this to say that men I have known have liked the big tummy - not sure why but it has seemed to be a sexy thing for the men I've been with (all thin and muscular). It may not be the liability we make it out to be.

Janine
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Jun-01-07, 15:57

Plan: atkins
Stats: 216/195/140 Female 5 6
BF:
Progress: 28%

u know all my men are muscular and beefy...for a fat chick ive always had hot men....

you are all so on point!

loosing weight is more important than the tounge
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Jun-01-07, 16:42

Plan: My Own
Stats: 262/235.4/170 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 29%

i have them (thanks to kids and being fat) and i call them my "war wounds"..... and i too think they will fade with time.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Jun-01-07, 19:55

Plan: Maintenance
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 65
BF:
Progress: -50%

Mine have faded with time, but I have had them since I was a teenager. Oh well.

Hubby has them too, so I don't suppose he can say much about mine.

And, stretch marks aren't such a big deal between two people who really care about each other. (Although stretch marks won't help you out at the beach!)
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Jun-01-07, 20:23

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Stretch marks are not always a sign that you've let your weight get out of control. They can also be caused by rapid growth and weight gain even of the 'normal' variety.
For example, my oldest dd grew 6 inches last year and put on about 30 pounds in the process. Yup...she has stretch marks because of it but that doesn't mean she (or her body) has done something wrong. They're just something that happen.
If it makes you feel better, they do tend to fade with time and eventually will be light silver lines that are not nearly as noticable and red as they are now. Creams can help, but I have yet to hear of any product that can erase stretch marks completely.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Jun-02-07, 17:23
Registered Member

Stats: 238/228/150 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 11%

After I'm down to 150 I'm going to get them lasered off. I just recently developed stretch marks on my last 20lbs of weight gained. I hate them!
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Jun-03-07, 19:41
Registered Member

Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 40%

do the lasers really work? and about how much will it cost? I'll seriously consider it.