Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jul-11-07, 08:31

Plan: PP
Stats: 127/127/105 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default Weight Watchers Mentality

How do you change it?? I am deathly afraid to drop my fruits - limit my veg and eat fat!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jul-11-07, 08:59

Plan: Paleo/Organic Fat Flush
Stats: 193/176/145 Female 5'4.5"
BF:42/31/24
Progress: 35%

You'll probably eat MORE veggies on PP or Atlins, just not high carb/high glycemic ones like potatoes. You can eat fruit on PP-it just helps to decide which level (Purist, Dilettante, or Hedonist) you'll follow initially. On Atkins, fruit is added later in the plan.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jul-11-07, 17:24
Taking MY Turn

Plan: Intuitive Eating
Stats: 240/220.8/190 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 38%

It's not about dropping anything, it's about adjusting and balancing. The next time you have fruit, go for really low carb (the berries are best) portioned with a bit of Greek Yogurt or drizzled with cream or something. What you'll find is that how you feel after you have it is SO full and decadent. When you add more fat, you are satiated and tend to eat less overall. And there is nothing that says you can't choose your fat for comfort as you move forward...start with olive oil and avocado...then before you know it you'll enjoy butter and mayo just like me! LOL
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jul-11-07, 20:13

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 215/164/158 Female 68 inches (5' 8")
BF:much/less/now :-)
Progress: 89%

This likely won't help, but when I found out I could eat fatty stuff and protein I jumped in whole hog (pun intended), despite all my years of being am ultra low fat, high carb vegetarian. Here is my only advice - you can lose on low fat, people do it all the time. I did. But 1) its not as much fun 2) its really really hard to stay with it. You can eat GREAT on this WOE. You can create nealry everything you ate before -although you'll need to watch things when you are in "intervention" or if you have a specific goal in mind i.e. you cannot eat 5000 calories and lose, but you'd get full long before that anyway.

I eat as many or more veggies on this WOE. And it did limit my fruits while I was actively trying to lose weight, but now I have the occasional peach, or melon slice, or other fruits when I want them. I eat tomatoes and carrots and onions (in moderation). No white stuff and sugar. When you are off the bad carbs for a while - go back and try a bit. They are nearly all tasteless fillers that are unessesary. The energy and healthy feeeling I have is going to keep me doing this even without the weight loss. I'd never be able to do my job and keep up with the 20 somethings without this WOE.

And yes, I'm still on PP, but not really trying to lose right now. Letting my body chill at a plateau, may try to take more off over the next 6 months, or not...we'll see)
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jul-12-07, 06:38

BF:
Progress:

What an awesome reply!! Thank you so much!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jul-12-07, 11:37
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmmrun
How do you change it?? I am deathly afraid to drop my fruits - limit my veg and eat fat!!

Keep reading and learning about nutrition. Fat phobia is just plain wrong. Think about it: our ancestors ate plenty of eggs, cream, and lard; and obesity was pretty rare. So was heart disease.

Those same ancestors also rarely had access to fresh sweet fruit year round. We don't need it. There is nothing in sweet fruit that you can't get from vegetables and the non-sweet fruit: tomatoes, cucumbers, zucchini, pumpkin, other squash, peppers, olives and avocadoes. (Yep, those are all fruit.)

I think there are very few among us here who have to "limit" our vegetables: if anything, we're trying to get enough. Remember that potatoes aren't a particultarly good source of anything but starch; and corn and peas aren't even vegetables. I'm also one of the people who are eating way more vegetables than before.

Good luck.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jul-12-07, 18:51

Plan: low carb, portion control
Stats: 222/155/140 Female 5'6"
BF:100%//33
Progress: 82%

Over the years, man has mucked around with fruit so that it is super sweet and has a much higher sugar content than the original. Wayyy back, our ancestors had not so sweet berries and other fruits that don't have the glycemic impact of the ones available today.

I have to laugh at my weight watching co workers who all started their diets January 1, and now have ballooned up because they eat "free" foods such as fruit and popcorn.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jul-13-07, 09:49

BF:
Progress:

Thank you all sooooooooooooooooo much!! Your info is sooooooooo helpful!!!!
I am amazed at how difficult it is to get the sugar out of each meal - I am not a sugar person by any means but it has slowly snuck into my life here and ther - again the worst offender is fruit - namely grapes - please do not tell me the sugar content - the truth is too hard to face! I am loving the concept of pp though!!