Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Mon, Nov-01-10, 11:59

Plan: Atkins 2002
Stats: 215/138/128 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 89%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffy Dan
We have about the same to loose I believe, I started 4 days ago and though I'm having junk food withdraws, I love the food choices so far! We may be able to encourage each other on the besiege Nice meeting you!

Nice to meet you too
Hang in there--the first few weeks are the worst. I think you nailed it on the head, you are having withdrawals from junk food and sugar! For me, the first two weeks were the hardest and since then it has been pretty easy going. The cravings disappeared and I have been steadily losing weight. My allergies got better, my skin cleared up, and I have so much more energy! I've even come to love all my veggies.

I have to say that this has been the easiest way of eating I've come across that results in steady weight loss without feeling deprived or feeling ill. I don't think I could have stuck with it this long if not for that! The one bit of advice I have is for you to use your induction period to seriously break your old habits. Get rid of those fast food and sugar cravings now. I have friend who kept "substituting" by eating low-carb ice cream, low carb Atkins products, etc., and she hasn't lost any weight or broken the cycle of craving food that isn't good for you. Get creative and eat your veggies--it makes a huge difference!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Nov-02-10, 07:08

Plan: meats and cheese and eggs
Stats: 171/153.0/135.0 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 50%

Sounds like you are doing great Knotty! What are some of things you are fixing for dinners? I am always looking for different ideas! I made a chilli cheese dog casserole last night and we all LOVED it!!! I am going to attemp meatloaf tonight!
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Nov-02-10, 10:25

Plan: making it up
Stats: 000/000/250 Male 76 inches
BF:
Progress:

Hello, day 3-4 I wasn't hungry, felt sick but not real bad. But, on day 5 I have been shoveling it in and i'm still hungry! I ate 3/4 of a broiled chicken. My wife made it with garlic powdered on it. Awesome meal! I loved it. We are missionaries in Lviv, Ukraine. We aren't getting anything low fat, diet in anything! We are very limited on our selection. I haven't figured a ration for the veggies. This time of the year we have spinach and lettuce so I eat a lot of that. It is difficult because potatoes, bread, and high carb root crops is all there is here. I have to focus on lettuce and spinach and then frozen spinach when the fresh stuff disappears for the season. I'm not feeling bad! Maybe I'm not doing it right?!?!?! I'm eating around 10-15 carbs a day and eating meat! I had chicken skin for the first time in 10 years today! I was told it was ok?!?! I just don't feel as bad as I remember from 15 years ago when I dieted Atkins last time. I may have forgot some important steps in the diet maybe? Around a gallon of water each day, 15 carbs, and 2000 calories of protien and fat. Does that sound right to you guys? I'm just nervous since I don't feel bad after 8 years of potatoes and bread here in Ukraine.
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Nov-02-10, 11:22

BF:

You might want to cut back on the calories just a little and see if that helps and at first only try up to 10 carbs a day. I know for me the lower I got the better
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Nov-02-10, 23:05

BF:

Dan, I think you should feel good on this plan. I've tried other diets in the past and felt terrible--headaches, nausea, lack of energy-- and frankly, I don't think that is good for you if you are feeling like that. As a result, I couldn't stick with it.

Right now I'm eating around 20-30 carbs a day and I feel wonderful! Tomorrow will be my four month mark and I think I've had one headache in all that time and that was during the first two weeks. Since then I've been great. I try to have veggies with at least two meals each day. I don't always have time in the morning to incorporate them, but the rest of my meals I do. I drink lots of water too and limit my artificial sweeteners as much as possible. What I like about this plan, is all I'm doing is cutting down my carbs and getting my carbs from wholesome food like vegetables. I don't have to micromanage anything else than that. I can eat at just about any restaurant and don't feel stressed about calories. So if you are losing weight and feeling good while doing it, I think you are doing fantastic.
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Nov-02-10, 23:41

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherileah1
Sounds like you are doing great Knotty! What are some of things you are fixing for dinners? I am always looking for different ideas! I made a chilli cheese dog casserole last night and we all LOVED it!!! I am going to attemp meatloaf tonight!

Thank you so much Sherileah. It has certainly taken a little while to get in a groove, but it has also been a lot of fun getting back in the kitchen and being creative. I've tried a lot of vegetables that I hadn't before!

As the weeks have gone by, our appetites have diminished quite a bit, so we usually only eat a protein with one veg for dinner.

Lunch is usually a big salad of some sort. Like today, my husband made me tuna salad on a big bed of romaine lettuce.

For dinner tonight I made salmon with a sauce made from white wine, butter, capers, onions, garlic and olives. We had that with a side of asparagus. So yummy!

Here are some of my favorite dishes:

This is an eggplant lasagna that my friend Krystal gave me the recipe to. It is sinful!

I eat this caprese salad a lot! Protein and veg when you don't want to eat meat!

This is our version of a taco salad

Crab! I love crab. I think this dinner took 10 minutes to make and it is such a treat.

This was my husband's doing. We had shrimp & swordfish kabobs with a salad and some tuna sashimi.

We were in the mood for some soup to mix things up, so I tweaked some recipes and came up with this meatball soup. The recipe is on this forum somewhere...

We tried this soup at a restaurant in Yosemite National park and loved it! They gave us a copy of the recipe and it is made from beer and cheese and bacon. Heaven!

This is a yellow squash frittata. I got the recipe from the Atkins website. So good for dinner or breakfast.

Another typical lunch for us. Left-over steak from the night before with lots of veggies and a chipotle dressing.

We try to mix it up and eat a lot of different proteins and fish. Hope you enjoyed the pictures!
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Nov-03-10, 05:18
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 275/259/140 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 12%

AWESOME! I love to cook, great idea showing pics. I will do the same soon. Thanks!
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Nov-03-10, 06:45

BF:

Wow knotty the food looks amazing! I too have loved getting into the kitchen and cooking and trying all these receipes! I havent cooked at home this much probably in my entire life! LOL I love this diet and I dont miss the carbs at all which totally shocks me!
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Nov-03-10, 11:53

Plan: making it up
Stats: 000/000/250 Male 76 inches
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knotty
Dan, I think you should feel good on this plan. I've tried other diets in the past and felt terrible--headaches, nausea, lack of energy-- and frankly, I don't think that is good for you if you are feeling like that. As a result, I couldn't stick with it.

Right now I'm eating around 20-30 carbs a day and I feel wonderful! Tomorrow will be my four month mark and I think I've had one headache in all that time and that was during the first two weeks. Since then I've been great. I try to have veggies with at least two meals each day. I don't always have time in the morning to incorporate them, but the rest of my meals I do. I drink lots of water too and limit my artificial sweeteners as much as possible. What I like about this plan, is all I'm doing is cutting down my carbs and getting my carbs from wholesome food like vegetables. I don't have to micromanage anything else than that. I can eat at just about any restaurant and don't feel stressed about calories. So if you are losing weight and feeling good while doing it, I think you are doing fantastic.

Good for you, 4 months!!! Seems so far for me from here, In the next 4 months, I have to go through THanksgiving, the 3 Christmas holidays they have here in Lviv, Ukraine, and my wife's and my birthdays!!!Today is day 6 me. I drink a lot of water. I newer have artificial sweetener and I haven't had a head ache and have been walking everywhere! I have bacon and eggs for breakfast, no veggies either! I make up for it for lunch, usually a salad w/ chicken or beef on it. I'm still afraid I'm not loosing weight. I don't have a scale that can hold me so I'm going by inches off the waist! I'm waiting til tomorrow..a little scared!
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Dec-01-10, 15:55

BF:
Default Hit 40 pound mark today!

Just an update that I hit my 40-pound mark today! I'm so excited and still going full-speed ahead. I'm so close to hitting my half-way point
  #26   ^
Old Wed, Dec-01-10, 17:44
Induction ≠ Atkins

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 270/164/180 Female 69 inches
BF:28%
Progress: 118%

Rockstar!!!!
  #27   ^
Old Thu, Jan-06-11, 15:22

BF:

I hit an even 170 today, which now means I have exactly 50 pounds to go to reach my goal. I took a little break in December and just maintained, but now I'm back and rearing to go. I've already lost 4 pounds this week and got to a new low. Almost at my half-way point!
  #28   ^
Old Thu, Jan-06-11, 15:29

BF:

Congrats Knotty!!! Thats great. I took a two week break in December too and maintained. Didnt gain anything thank goodness! Welcome back!
  #29   ^
Old Thu, Jan-06-11, 16:30

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/186.5/150 Female 5ft 4in
BF:
Progress: 27%

Wow! You are doing awesome...I lost in the original 3 months but then I did nothing for 4 months and now I am gaining again...Arrrggg! But I am determined to do this and that means focusing on this plan. I also have to come here and read success stories so that I am motivated and don't just quit.
Let the weight loss begin.......
Katie

Last edited by katyw8y : Thu, Jan-06-11 at 16:30. Reason: sp