Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Feb-28-04, 19:44

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 231.5/223.5/150 Female 5 ft 5 in
BF:
Progress: 10%
Default new-questions-salad dressing and dessert

I am new to the forum and am starting Atkins after being on South Beach for 2 weeks and still had cravings. My hairstylist told me the ketosis is what made her cravings stop.

I wondered what salad dressings you could use in the induction phase. I was using Walden Farms Ranch and French but they seem pretty dull and watery. A friend who is doing South Beach recommended Marzetti Buttermilk Ranch. It only has 1 g of carbs but it does have 1g of sugar and the book said no added sugar.

On South Beach I could have a ricotta Cream dessert. Can anyone recommend anything sweet tasting that is ok for the induction phase?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Feb-28-04, 19:56
Gettin' Close

Plan: LC
Stats: 274/220.6/210 Male 6'2"
BF:33/23/15
Progress: 83%

Hi Pam:

I've found some caesar salad dressing that has 0 carbs, so if you like the taste, that may be worth a try.

I've read around on the forums that there is some sugar free Jello available. Some folks make the SF Jello, and whip up some heavy cream to top it off with.

-Mike
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Feb-29-04, 02:51
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Just read the lables on salad dressings. Stay away from anything lite or fat free. Try to find one that is 2g carb per serving or less. I love cesear, but will sometimes get ranch when out. For a long time I was making my own, or just using olive oil as a dressing.

For sweet, you can have riccota again after induction. If you are having alot of problem with cravings though the best thing to do may be to cut out sweet entirely for the 2 weeks. After all it's just 2 weeks, not a lifetime. I found after doing that I lost most of my desire for sweet, and my tastebuds changed enough processed things were too sweet. I learned to appriciate veggies and fruits alot more.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Feb-29-04, 06:21

Plan: atkins
Stats: 265/265/200 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 0%

As I've posted under other topics Wishbone has a no carb ranch and a no carb italian dressing out now and there great.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Feb-29-04, 08:36

Stats: 175/138/135 Female 5'7"
BF:I did it!
Progress: 93%

I use a dressing called "Carb Options" Ranch which is made by Wish Bone. I find it in the regular dressing section at my local Albertson's store. It has 0 carbs and uses Splenda for sweetning. Tastes great, too!
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Feb-29-04, 09:12
Registered Member

Stats: 213/168/140 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 62%

If you want something creamy and sweet, panna cotta is FABULOUS! It's basically heavy cream, a little splenda, a vanilla bean, one packet of unflavored gelatin. I know I've just given a very loose recipe but just trying to give ya some ideas! Jello, of course is classically good to.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Feb-29-04, 09:12

Stats: 279/247/180 Female 5' 4"
BF:Way/too/much
Progress: 32%

I use Hidden Valley Ranch or a bleu cheese. The Ranch only has 1 carb and I have found bleu cheese with only 1 carb. HTH

Alli
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Feb-29-04, 09:24

Plan: atkins
Stats: 214/177/140 Female 5'6''
BF:35/28/23
Progress: 50%

My fave is Ken's Parmesan Peppercorn but it seems to be harder and harder to find. Maybe I'm the only one who liked it?
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Feb-29-04, 09:25

Plan: Intermittent fast/Lowcarb
Stats: 251/199/180 Male 5 ft 10 inch
BF:
Progress: 73%

I'm pretty fond of the Litehouse and Bob's brand dressings. They're in the refrigerated deli section, and (to me) taste much better than Kraft, Wishbone, or Newman's.

Don't recall the carb counts, but they're quite low or zero.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Feb-29-04, 09:39
overeasy

Plan: No grains/sugar/alcohol
Stats: 221/175.4/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 75%

I don't like bottled dressings too much, they taste pastey and odd to me. I like olive oil and red-wine vinegar for my dressing. Once in awhile I'll add some Good Seasons Italian dressing mix to it, or a couple tablespoons of sour cream, which can be a nice change. I also, for on my fish or chicken, like to use a garlic seasoning mix with regular Kraft mayo to dip my protein in. Oh boy, talking about all this has me knowing exactly what I'm going to make for lunch today, LOL!