Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Gym Logs
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Sep-01-04, 12:29
Queen of Bouncing

Plan: Temp - PSMF
Stats: 240/198/135 Female 63"
BF:Who Knows
Progress: 40%
Default Light My Fhyre

Well since I've started exercising I figure I better start a gym log.

I've started a walking/jogging program that I got from a link in one of the exercise forum posts. It is a 10 week program, 3 times a week that takes you from mostly walking to jogging 3 miles (or 30 minutes).

Last week was week 0, or maybe 0.5 I couldn't do their first week program in as it was called for, so I did 10 minutes of it and just finished the other 10 minutes with straight walking.

This week was week 1 of their program and I did it fine both Monday and today Made me pretty happy.

I also decided that this week I would start in with some light weight exercises on the alternate days (Tue, Thu & Sat with Sun totally off).

For now and probably the next few weeks I am only going to work my arms. Not because they are super bad or I don't want to work the other parts but because (to me anyway) they are an easy part of the body to work on and mostly what I want right now is to get into the habit of doing the exercises. Once I am in the habit I will start alternating the body parts

Hopefully this isn't a very bad way to go about it. To me it is very important to get into the habit of exercising. I like the jogging program because it gives me a goal to work for.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Sep-01-04, 13:14

Plan: Yudkin
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 000
BF:
Progress: 100%

Excellent start of your walk/jog program !
When last January I started a similar program, for one MONTH I was able ONLY to walk . (I had very sensitive ankles, joints.)

Whichever programme you follow, you can always repeat a week if increasing the jogging time seems too hard.

I had similar start with the weight training too. For one month - while learning the basic exercises - I only used light weights. I concentrated on my upper body - the walk/jog seemed more than enough for my legs.

My best wishes, looking forward to read your progress.

Eva
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Sep-02-04, 05:39
Queen of Bouncing

My arms were aching a bit yesterday from the work out on Tuesday, I think that means I did something right It wasn't an "ohmygodtheyaregoingtofalloff" hurt, just a steady ache. I could tell they had been used, hehe.

I was also noticing that I actually DO have some muscles in my arms now, haha. I am sure that is NOT from one day of exercise, I just think the ache made me notice them. I think it is from losing fat and my body repairing itself. I used to have fairly okay arm muscles before the last 30+ lbs of fat set in. I think with the exercises I am doing they will shape up real quick. That would be nice because a week or so ago I notice I have the "arm wings" hanging down and flapping around on my upper arms

I did the arm exercises again without much problem this morning, in fact it seemed to "work out" what was left of the ache (of course they will probably ache again tomorrow). The routine I am using calls for starting with 1 set of 15 reps and working your way up to 3 sets.

I am using 5 lb dumbells and I have a set of 10 lb dumbells plus a set of those strap-on kind you can put on your ankles or wrists that go from 1-5 lbs so I can potentially do up to 15 lbs (some century ). If I actually get to that point I will go buy some heavier ones, hehe.

I really think I can do this. I've done the treadmill before, though not with a routine like this. I was doing it 5 days a week (or trying to) for 30 minutes gradually increasing speed/distance but keeping the time at 30 minutes. I was doing good for a couple weeks but then I got married back on July 23 and didn't start back up again until last week (shortly after I read the thread with the link to this routine I'm doing now).
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Sep-03-04, 05:33
Queen of Bouncing

Well I did the treadmill routine again today I think I shall have to do their "Week 1" routine again next week though before I look at increasing the jogging times. I'm not sure what the reason is but about 30 seconds into the 60 seconds of jogging my legs tend to tense up quite a lot. This makes it pretty difficult. It might just be because they are not used to all this abuse So I will give it another week before I advance to their "Week 2" routine. In fact I will probably turn their 9 week plan into a 20-24 week plan, LoL. Do each week twice plus I can see at least one spot in there that I will probably not be up to advance as much as they call for so I will probably add a modified week or two inbetween it.

My arms don't seem as sore as they were on Wednesday. When I am doing the exercises my shoulders and triceps feel it the most but the day after the exercises my biceps feel it the most, hehe. I do the dumbells again tomorrow then I have all of Sunday off.

I have been doing something else that may or may not be doing any good (can't hurt though, I hope). On the half hour drive to and from work I have been doing abdomen isometrics (basicly holding your stomach in as tight as you can). I read about it in my book "Smart Girls Do Dumbells" (I love that title). I figured it might help get my abs in shape for when I DO add in the exercises
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Sep-03-04, 09:46

Plan: Yudkin
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 000
BF:
Progress: 100%

I LOVE this "Smart Girsl Do Dumbbells" title. I will check the book in our bookstores or in our libraries. I learned the lore of weight exercises from Tamilee Webb's Workout for Dummies. (I know, I know, less inventive title )

Tee ab exercise you are doing is very effective. Bodybuilders are using it (I learned it from Schwarzenegger), under the name "stomach vacuum". It does strenghten the abs, improve posture, and deifinitely improve appearance.

Reagrding the runing programme. Take your time. You are not running anywhere I assume .

Have a wonderful long weekend,

Eva
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Sep-04-04, 03:33
Queen of Bouncing

I did my arm exercises this morning so that completes my first full week of exercise. Yay! I can't remember what they say... 6 weeks to form a habit? Well I will just keep at it. Next week I know I can repeat this weeks jogging regimen and no problem doing the arms too. Boy I feel those shoulder and tricep exercises when I do them.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Sep-06-04, 14:48
Queen of Bouncing

Well wouldn't you know, it never fails *sigh*

I got sick this weekend. Sore throat Saturday and Sunday then Sunday night and all day today I've been sniffling and blowing my nose all day.

I still managed to walk for half an hour during one of the "safe" times when the medication was working. It just that something always seems to happen when I start to get into a routine.

At least I did walk. Used to be something like this would have me not exercising for weeks or months until I got motivated again.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Sep-07-04, 05:38
Queen of Bouncing

I did my arms again this morning even though I feel like crap because of the cold. I won't overdo it but I refuse to let this stop me from building this habit of exercise. I will probably have to just walk again tomorrow, maybe even Friday depending on how long this cold takes to go away. It seems to be progressing, I think I am close to moving from the "runny/stuffy nose" phase to the "congested/coughing" phase.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Sep-08-04, 05:19
Queen of Bouncing

Feel so crap today I couldn't do my walk

Maybe I will feel better and can do it before dinner.

I hate being sick.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Sep-13-04, 05:41
Queen of Bouncing

Well other than Monday & Tuesday last week was a bust because of the cold. But I was back on the treadmill today. I didn't do the jogging routine but I did walk. Probably just walk this week to get back into the swing of things.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Sep-14-04, 13:53
Queen of Bouncing

I did my arm exercises this morning so I'm happy.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Sep-15-04, 05:30
Queen of Bouncing

I did the walking again today. I am doing 5 minutes at 2mph, 10 minutes at 2.5mph, 10 minutes at 3mph then a last 5 minutes at 2.5mph for a total of 30 minutes. I think I will work up to 5 minutes warmup/cool down at 2.5mp and the middle 20 minutes at 3mph and then start back on the jogging routine.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Sep-20-04, 10:34
Queen of Bouncing

Oops, haven't posted in a bit. I did arms last Thursday & Walking Friday, skipped arms on Saturday because I had a real bad fever most of the day Friday and Friday night. I was really exhausted.

I did my walk on the treadmill again today. I boosted it up just a notch. I did a 2 minute 2mph warm-up then did 8 minutes at 2.5mph, 15 minutes (up from 10 minutes last week) at 3mph then the last 5 at 2.5mph for a total of 30 minutes.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Sep-22-04, 05:26
Queen of Bouncing

I did my arms yesterday & my walk today. Pushed it up another notch unintentionally

Did 2 minutes at 2mph, 4 minutes at 2.5mph, 19 minutes at 3mph and 5 minutes at 2.5mph.

I want to work up to at least 25 minutes at 3mph before I restart the jogging routine.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Sep-23-04, 07:46
Queen of Bouncing

Did my arms today, concentrated on doing them slowly and smoothly. Quite a burn, hehe.