Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-23-02, 22:30

Plan: atkins
Stats: 220?/220?/135
BF:
Progress:
Default READ THIS ARTICLE!!!

http://www.rushmagazine.com/displayarticle.php?id=373
Exremely rude and ignorant views on overweight people, please read and post an opinion
Angela
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-23-02, 22:40

Plan: IN LIMBO!!!!!
Stats: 145/137/126
BF:28.3%/22%/18%
Progress: 42%
Default hi angela

hey... i went and read the artical, then took a look around the site. all i can say is... what else could you expect from these very young, shallow, inmature, egomaniacs.

why are you looking there anyway?
regards,
brenda
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-23-02, 22:43

BF:
Progress:

Actually someone gave me the link to read it. I just couldnt believe that someone could be so crude!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jan-24-02, 00:49

BF:
Progress:

bump...read article!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jan-24-02, 01:02
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Folks,

This poster from the 19th century is a must see:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...?s=&threadid=58

Wa'il
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jan-24-02, 01:12
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Frankly, the author of that article may be justified feeling threatened. For the last 2 decades, our culture has forced many young men and women, particularly women, into eating disorders and starving to be skinny. Yes, it's good to be lean, but the ideals we have/had, are not lean, they are basically bodies sucked out of all lean, healthy muscles due to under-eating and starvation, where they can never be satisfied until their bone shows through their skin.

So, if now at the turn of the 21st century, skinny under-eating former (babes) realize that lean bodies with healthy weight is the new norm sought, they'd be justified to feel scared, since their ingrained body image, cannot accept such a radical change, and they lash out at the new trend of seeking healthy, lean, normal bodies, not skinny malnourished bodies.

Wa'il
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jan-24-02, 01:58

BF:
Progress:

hi again, I just wanted to let everyone know that I wrote to the author of this (editor in chief) and I got a reply. I dont think he wrote it directly to me, probably took my name and cut and pasted it to the response for all people who didnt like the article, here it is (it is backwards, so please scroll down to see what I wrote first before you read what he wrote):

----- Original Message -----
To: james and angela
Sent: Wednesday, January 23, 2002 10:48 PM
Subject: Re: FAT PRIDE

Miss Watt,

Thank you for your feedback.

My words are more precise and thoughtfully chosen than you give them credit for. They represent an indictment of a particular hypocritical view held by a small portion of that larger population called fat women (for lack of a better term), not of a broader population sharing only said trait.

If you would read more carefully... and perhaps if I would write more carefully you would understand that nothing in my piece aims to impugn women for being overweight, underweight or median weight. Rather, it seeks to touch upon the particular issue of certain individuals taking a false moral high ground in impugning women who are specifically underweight. In the end the broader message is that women of all body types should be free of this form of criticism from women of other body types.

However, that women of almost every body type can expect criticism from women of other body types is a truism. But in my observation only one form (fat women criticizing thin women), has the pretension to couch itself in morally upright and socially beneficial terms. That observation is where my piece begins and ends. All misinterpretations based on false extrapolations are yours alone.

Again, thank you for the feedback.

-Morgan Liu

----- Original Message -----
To: morgan~rushmagazine.com
Sent: Wednesday, January 23, 2002 9:25 PM
Subject: FAT PRIDE

I cannot believe this is the opinion you have on "fat women". It is not just fat women who are against anorexic looking women on tv, it is healthy, normal weight women who do not want to see their daughters becoming bulemic or anorexic because America idolizes these extremely thin women on tv. And I have never heard of anyone thinking Nicole Kidman is too thin. It is people like Calista Flockheart, Kate Moss, and yes, Courtney Cox that women have a problem with.
It is people like you that feed the negativity which fuels young impressional girls into thinking they have to be stick thin in order to be accepted and not to be called a "fat fucking sea cow" by ignoramouses like you.
I have heard the fat pride thing, and I agree with you, I dont think its acceptable to have pride for being overweight, that is just as unhealthy if not more than being extremely underweight. But I do believe it is a defense mechanism by overweight people to be more accepted.
But I do think that your article was extremely rude, and unresearched. Good thing you work for RUSH magazine instead of a respectable one.
Angela Watt
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jan-24-02, 08:50
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

I had to go away and ruminate about this one.

Looking at just one aspect, and in this case it's body image is sad. While we can say a portion of our society supports the thin image, and another supports the fat, neither of them are right, or even healthy.

I don't support either side.

Analyze an un-naturally thin person, and you will most likely find an eating disorder. Analyze a fat person and you'll most likely find an eating disorder.

What the author says is true. Some people do take the moral high-ground fat "pride". Some take it on thin "pride". While I may not agree with how the author states his opinion, I can agree with his point.

Karen