Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Sep-28-02, 09:22

Plan: atkins
Stats: 205/190/190
BF:12%
Progress: 100%
Default My main breakfast

Mine's is pretty simple and good also i think. 12eggs...yup you read right but 9 of them only the white i add to that 1 slice of cheddar cheese (kraft) 1 gr of carb 9 gr of fat plus for tasting is some mexican herbs. Plus this i make about 5-6 slices of bacon.Tell me what you think.Don't forget that i'm at the gym everyday so i need protein.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Sep-30-02, 19:30

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

A fellow Montrealer

Do you really crack open 12 eggs and throw away 9 egg yolks ? I can hear my mother now "There are children starving in Africa !" If so you should consider using those little cartons of egg whites. I often add a bit to my scrambled eggs to add more protein.

I'd love to eat bacon every day but I worry about the nitrates. If you found a source for nitrate free bacon let me know !
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Oct-27-02, 11:15

Plan: Adkins
Stats: 215/206/135
BF:
Progress: 11%
Default Nitrate free bacon

Angeline,

I have been on Adkins for almost 2 weeks and was at first scared of trying regular bacon. After 2 days I decided to give it a try anyways and have lost almost 10 lbs in 12 days! You might want to give it a try. Has worked for me and my husband without effecting us at all.

#4   ^
Old Mon, Oct-28-02, 18:58

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

Hi Donsangel

The problem with regular bacon is not that it will prevent weight loss, it's that nitrates are a known carcinogen.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Nov-02-02, 13:39

Plan: Atkins (Pre-Maintenance)
Stats: 160/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:35%/28%/22%
Progress: 83%
Default Nitrate free bacon

I have found nitrate free bacon in a couple health food stores. Perhaps there's a Whole Foods worth making a trip to?

I've also found natural sausage without sugar or nitrates. Very good.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Nov-05-02, 09:55

Stats: 205/190/190
BF:12%
Progress: 100%

sorry to disappoint you there ppl ...but guess what...we all die of something...and nitrates in my bacon are the last thing i worry about...more worried about some asshole who will take the wheel and crush me to death with his sport utility truck
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jan-15-03, 01:50

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 225/205/140 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 24%

Well, Dr. Rock, I don't think you need to worry about eating too many eggwhites (or not eating the yolks?) you look great to me. You must be on maintenance or something...lol...
Nice pipes!
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Feb-02-03, 13:37

Plan: adkins for life
Stats: 193/185/165
BF:
Progress: 29%
Default what to do with egg whites...

unused egg whites can be frozen in an ice tray... popped out and used at a future date....by the way... when My husband had open heart surgery..( and was pushing that heart healthy diet).. even she recommended using maybe one whole egg and one egg white... per serving... she called them cheat eggs.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Feb-04-03, 18:18
Registered Member

Plan: Freestyle
Stats: 182/161/145
BF:25%/13.8%/5%
Progress: 57%

Wow, you share the same idea of breakfast as I do.
But personally I think the yolks are the best part, and lots of fat is crucial for the WOE to work.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Feb-11-03, 21:06

Stats: 172/159/120 Female 4' 11
BF:
Progress: 25%

Quote:
Originally posted by Psilocybin
Wow, you share the same idea of breakfast as I do.
But personally I think the yolks are the best part, and lots of fat is crucial for the WOE to work.

I've always been a YOLK person. Never ate the whites of an egg, I just figured the whites were only there to keep the yolk intact ...

I've gotten the whites in a carton ... nice idea about freezing them. I didn't know you could so that's nice to know. I had intended to make some merangue cookies but didn't use up the whites in time and had to throw them out. Thanks for the tip.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Feb-13-03, 02:37
Registered Member

Stats: 130/130/110
BF:
Progress: 0%

uh,arent bacons gonna slow your weight loss..coz what we have are those that are honey cured and may cause water retntion coz of the sodium content????
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Feb-24-03, 19:39

Stats: 116/110/58
BF:
Progress:
Default Nitrates

I don't know what your bacon is like in the US and elsewhere, but I know there are small amounts of bacon in Aussie bacon. But I sort of blanch the bacon in boiling water for one minute before I cook it - mainly to get rid of the salt, its way too salty for my taste. And I was hoping while I was at it that maybe some of those nitrates might shake themselves loose and some of that sugar too!

But speaking of nitrates, if you're really concerned about nitrates ensure that you throw out all your toothpaste and hair shampoo and liquid soaps of most descriptions as they are full of sodium laurel sulphate better known as SLS. Very few shampoos use the more expensive version ammonium lauryl suphate.

Apparently one application to your hair of SLS-containing shampoo absorbs enough nitrates for 4.4lbs of bacon! Don't know the chemistry involved in this one, but bacon seems to blend into the background considering most people shampoo their hair probably more often than they eat bacon!

But I have found sources of reduced nitrate bacon here in Australia so you would have them too.

See ya