Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Jun-05-07, 21:32
Taking MY Turn

Plan: Intuitive Eating
Stats: 240/220.8/190 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 38%

Hey CindySue...it's good to see you! I was pleased to read that you're working on LC stuff at SparkPeople. That's actually where I started out with my weight loss goals and focus originally...but didn't feel like I "fit in" when I changed to LCing and found PP, ya know? So I think it's FAB that you're helping create that kind of change because otherwise I think it's a great site and resource! (And thanks for the congrats!)

Nolagina, great news on your latest "low" - keep focused and keep at it!

Jen, it's always great to hear from you. I know you're swamped and I know how difficult it is to want to incorporate any kind of activity, especially after all the work you do. But I'm glad to see you stepping back to intervention levels for a bit to kickstart...exactly the advice the Eadeses give when you're stuck or maintenance isn't quite working or whatever. As for "just" walking more, may I say that is one of THE best exercises out there and I'm happy you're doing it. Of course you know my feelings on getting some kind of resistance/strength training (this goes for all you women especially) but that can come in the form of handweights while walking, or push-ups or squats. Anyhow, I'm not preaching, just encouraging! (I think you know that.)

As for you, Sharon...any chance I can line you up for babysitting next year? ROFL What a great grandma you are. Of course I would be remiss if I didn't mention that I have an incredible Mom (living with us now, as you all know) who will be the BEST "Omi" (German grandma) and my MIL is also incredible too and will be quite the doter! LOL

I wasn't going to post tonight, but decided to do one quickly before bed after seeing the latest messages. I'll leave you with some good news...I went to the doctors today to discuss my bloodwork and the results were great! Details are in my journal, but suffice it to say I'm healthy, I've got good numbers, and I'm right on track, which is so encouraging especially since I feel so on track with the way I've been eating. (And she's thrilled to hear me mention that I ingest ONLY organic dairy, among other things.) Just thought you'd like to know! The next four weeks are big...by then I'll end my first trimester and the chances of miscarriage greatly decrease. I'm just taking things one day at a time...praying...taking good care of myself, and staying positive and active. So far it's working! <crossing fingers>
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Jun-06-07, 06:17

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 178/000/145 Female 5ft. 4in.
BF:
Progress: 539%

Good Morning PP People!!

It is very foggy here this morning!
Today is my last day of the shakes, then I am on Boot Camp menu.

Lisa, thank you, I do talk about my grand children a lot!! I thank you all for listening to me talk about them. They keep me young and in tune with life, I think. We do have fun together and kids do the cutest things!! Emma even went topless on Monday night!!! She is a hoot!!

Your check-up sounds awesome and you are a very busy girl!! I read your journal and man..............I would be mad at my sister too!! Any chance of her helping out some??? Man.......you are bearing a lot of responsibility!! (((HUGS)))

Better get started on some housework, I have let things go around here!

Have a Wonderful Wednesday!!
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Jun-06-07, 08:02

Plan: PP/PPLP
Stats: 150/140/140 Male 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Thought I had better say, " HI! folks" keep up the posts.
I got in late last night and by the time I had read all the new posts it was WAY past my bed time. Maybe I'll get in earlier tonight and can post a bit longer post.
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Jun-06-07, 13:35
Taking MY Turn

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryAJ
Thought I had better say, " HI! folks" keep up the posts.
I got in late last night and by the time I had read all the new posts it was WAY past my bed time. Maybe I'll get in earlier tonight and can post a bit longer post.

Yeah, Larry, you have to check in from time to time! After all, you're like the Godfather of the PP section. <giggle>

So...you got in late last night...doing anything good?
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Jun-06-07, 18:45

BF:

I thought I got in late yesterday! Tonight I am just now starting supper, it is 8:44 EDT.

Lisa, I'll have to deal with you tomorrow!
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Jun-07-07, 19:39
Taking MY Turn

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryAJ
I thought I got in late yesterday! Tonight I am just now starting supper, it is 8:44 EDT.

Lisa, I'll have to deal with you tomorrow!

Still waiting, Larry!

hee hee
  #22   ^
Old Fri, Jun-08-07, 07:24
Taking MY Turn

BF:

I just thought I'd check in and wish everyone a Happy Friday. I am loving the fact that I'm eating well (and intuitively - eating more if I'm hungry, like last night, and really listening to my body) and feeling good and maintaining my weight as a result. I think it's ok to maintain or only slightly gain for the next month and then see what happens (end of June is end of first trimester).

I won't be around this weekend. I'm prepping for our weekend of weddings. We have two, back-to-back and even though I love the clients, it's going to be hell for us. Thankfully we have another photog coming in to stay with us and work with us both days, so I'm relieved. (We planned this last year realizing that such a weekend is a drain on us and the extra pair of hands is worth the investment.) We're doing a special slideshow on Saturday (it's got their pics from growing up and dating that I've already scanned and edited and placed to music and then on the day of the wedding, Jeff adds pictures from the day as well and we play it during the reception projected on a big screen for everyone to enjoy - crazy but hugely popular) and then we're doing reception portraits on Sunday (we have framed, custom-matted pictures - with the mats already inscribed by the couple - for them to give as gifts by the end of the reception). The first wedding goes until 12:30am and the next we need to arrive at 11am. Needless to say I've been making lists and charging batteries and creating strategies all week and I'm down to the wire!!

Ok, enough ranting about the wedding stuff. But anyhow, you'll know why you don't hear from me until Monday. Take care, enjoy the wonderful weather, and I'll talk to you soon! And yes, I promise to have peanuts and almonds in the car with me at all times.
  #23   ^
Old Fri, Jun-08-07, 07:24

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisaz8605
Still waiting, Larry!

hee hee

My sister called at 10PM just as I turned out the light. SO, that made the third night that I didn't get to sleep until after 11. So I am tired and you will get another repreive today. BUT!!! I WILL have to deal with you and your "hee hee"

To everybody else,
Thanks for getting this forum back in the active status.
  #24   ^
Old Fri, Jun-08-07, 10:01
Taking MY Turn

BF:

I'm just adding a quick medical update. I just came back from my echocardiogram (details in my journal) and the results were great. Yes, I have an escalated heart murmur and a little valve leakage, which he said is perfectly normal, but otherwise my heart is in GREAT shape. Yay! What great news!!
  #25   ^
Old Fri, Jun-08-07, 10:32

Stats: 178/000/145 Female 5ft. 4in.
BF:
Progress: 539%

Good Afternoon,
Sounds busy and exciting Lisa!!

We are getting a bad thunderstorm now, so I will make it short.
Just wanted to check in.
Have a Fabulous Friday....................
  #26   ^
Old Mon, Jun-11-07, 17:19

Stats: 205/199/130 Female 64 inches
BF:50%/47%/22%
Progress: 8%
Default New to PP but think it's great!

Yesterday I was so fed up with my self I decided to go on Atkins induction...again. Then I remembered I had a copy of Protein Power which I read cover to cover (with out the recipes) Such a great explanation of the insulin response physiology and fats. I was mystified why I could never stay on Atkins induction very long, alway got weak and dizzy;now I know it was low POTASSIUM! This was explained very well in the PP book. Eureka! Now, I am very encouraged and motivated. I ordered the PPLP online today and can't wait to read it. I am in the "intervention phase" and trying to keep my carbs under 20/day for the first week to kick start the program. I'll move to the 30/day next week. I think the PP plan is easier to follow than Atkins, but thats just my opinion.
  #27   ^
Old Mon, Jun-11-07, 18:31

Plan: ZC
Stats: 260/222/170 Male 5-10
BF:Huh?
Progress: 42%

Quote:
I'm just adding a quick medical update. I just came back from my echocardiogram (details in my journal) and the results were great. Yes, I have an escalated heart murmur and a little valve leakage, which he said is perfectly normal, but otherwise my heart is in GREAT shape. Yay! What great news!!

That is awesome news, Lisa.
  #28   ^
Old Mon, Jun-11-07, 18:37

Stats: 215/164/158 Female 68 inches (5' 8")
BF:much/less/now :-)
Progress: 89%

welcome x54zeus!

I liked PP better as well. :-)

Lisa - Great to hear all the updates and good to know that things are going well.

As far as work - we got a bit of reprive this week on one of our bills, delayed the hearing, but I am still trying to catch up on emails. Not to mention all the stuff at home that's gone by the wayside. Ended up paying some bills late (jeez - its the 11th already? how did that happen...) and I still have not written back to my aunt and nana. Don't know what to say except that we need rain and I'm working, working, working...I hate to complain about that since my nana and auntie are retired and my aunt had been on disabilty for many years prior to that. End up talking about the cats, and the house, and not much else these days. sigh, we need to get out more.

my, how did things go down this path....

things are going well getting back to basics. I had time to plan menus again this past week and this one so my mealtimes have been a breeze. Here are a few samples:

sesame chicken stir fry

fish "tacos" (baked fish with coleslaw, lettuce, and salsa piled on top)

smoked turkey leg, salad with ceasar dressing

bunless burgers with "the fixins" and coleslaw

jerk chicken breasts and summer squash

mahi-mahi with eggplant, tomato, and garlic

pork chops with green beans

Chicken Legs Mole (homemade mole sauce, no wheat)

hope everyone is doing well.

Jen
  #29   ^
Old Mon, Jun-11-07, 19:21
Taking MY Turn

BF:

Welcome x54zeus! I'm with you...I've always loved how much PP just "makes sense" to me.

Daryl, thanks for the support! I'm feeling very upbeat about my health right now (and again, give so much credit to a combo of PP and exercise for it).

Jen, what time is dinner again?

BTW, I took today to recover. I updated my journal to let everyone know my double wedding weekend was a huge success, but my body really had issues with me in terms of my energy output. I did eat well and stayed as hydrated as I reasonably could, but it was just too much. Luckily we aren't doing a double again until October and we have a great network of photogs whom we can ask for help.
  #30   ^
Old Tue, Jun-12-07, 08:52

BF:

I'll add my welcome x54zeus too. Best wishes on your journey to better health (and lower weight) since my feeling from all that I have read that has been written by the Drs Eades is, they are REALLY all about GOOD health through proper diet. Until you get REALLY overweight, extra weight is not, in and of itself, bad. Rather, too often excess weight is yet another symptom of health problems brought on by a bad diet.

Quote:
Yeah, Larry, you have to check in from time to time! After all, you're like the Godfather of the PP section. <giggle>
Just because you are a G L O W I N G “mother to be” does NOT give you permission to be disrespectful to the G’Fodder! After all, someday you may need a flavor from the G’Fodder and he might deny it because of your being cheeky in the past.

Perhaps penance is in order for you to return to the G’Fodder’s flavor. Thus I require you to look at these photos while you contemplate your disrespect. Also looking at these photos MAY earn you a boon from the G'Fodder.
Quote:
So...you got in late last night...doing anything good?
When you wrote that, I couldn’t remember what it was that I was doing. At my AGE you are lucky to remember what you did that morning, let alone anything the day before

Got to quit so I can get to the dentist.
SO, I’ll have to just say HI! Sharon, Daryl, and Jen,
Glad to see you posting.